Leaking windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #15

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
Quote:
Patty. I will look it up tonight and let you know. I told Stephen we will have enough to do 2 campers since we had to buy a 50 ft roll. If you are interested in purchasing what's left over (and Stephen passes on the deal) we can work something out. We are in PA. We plan on having the windows back in within the next 2 weeks, and then, Lord only knows where we'll be! I know we won't be in Kintnersville, PA though!! You can email me at szagolad1@juno.com and I can give you my phone # if you are interested. Donna

If you can find the place where you bought the outside rubber that fits against the window I would be interested also. We have a 16 ft uhaul vt. Thanks Maggie

Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Upstate New York (near Albany)
Quote:
Patty. I will look it up tonight and let you know. I told Stephen we will have enough to do 2 campers since we had to buy a 50 ft roll. If you are interested in purchasing what's left over (and Stephen passes on the deal) we can work something out. We are in PA. We plan on having the windows back in within the next 2 weeks, and then, Lord only knows where we'll be! I know we won't be in Kintnersville, PA though!! You can email me at szagolad1@juno.com and I can give you my phone # if you are interested. Donna

Hi, Donna. I am definitely interested. I will email you.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1984 13 ft
Quote:
Stephen, do you have the window latch for your windows? Ours is missing. I was wondering if you did replace it, what did you use?
Yes, I have the latches. They are all loose and need to be glued on the windows, but I assume they are originals.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul 1984 13 ft
Quote:
Welcome to the club. I completely resealed the windows on my U-Haul, but was unable to find a supplier for the rubber channels and - of course - I still get leakage when there's heavy rain with wind. I finally solved the problem with slender plastic troughs under the windows, filled with sponges. Now, even in a heavy downpour, I just have to wring out the little sponges occasionally - the cushions and bedding stay dry.

Hi Jack, that's a good idea. I think I had water coming in that way too. At first, I thought it was condensation. The leak I'm sure of now is coming from the middle of the window and is trickling down between the outer shell and interior wall. I'm pretty sure the door window has an internal leak too because when the door is opened when the trailer is tilted forward, water drips from a hole in the bottom of the door. If Al and Donna have the felt and glass seal, I'm hoping that will seal things. Hate to do it all and then still have a leak.

Stephen Brown
Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 AM   #19

Good Morning Everyone. I found the information I promised you. The window felt was ordered from Restoration Specialties restorationspecialties.com 1-814-467-9842 Item # AS1268. This is a great place, they will send samples of whatever you need before you purchase it. They also have the windlace for the seam of the camper too, in a variety of colors and 2 styles!! Restoration Specialities is located in Windber, PA.

The weatherstrip was from technologylk.com 1-888-663-9830 the product was
CRL one piece self sealing universal weatherstrip Manufacturer # AS 1536 it measures: 3/16" to 1/4 panel, 3/16 to 1/4 glass we had to buy a 50 foot roll. Technology LK is located in Cleveland, OH.

Good Luck, hope this helps. We will keep you posted on how we install ours, and any helpful tips!
Donna and Al
Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #20

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Thanks so much Donna and Al for sharing your sources of these hard-to-find items.

I'm amazed at the selection of glass channel that Restoration Specialties carries! This is great information for any type of trailer - our Casita needs some new window parts and I look forward to finding what's needed from them.

We'd love to and hear how your window restoration goes. Thanks again!

Jeanne
Old 04-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Donna & Al: I can't tell from your posts - is the # AS 1536 weatherstripping you've found the rubber that inserts in the outside channel and seals against the inner, sliding window? That's the part that's missing on my U-Haul.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Donna & Al: I can't tell from your posts - is the # AS 1536 weatherstripping you've found the rubber that inserts in the outside channel and seals against the inner, sliding window? That's the part that's missing on my U-Haul.
Jack,
The AS1536 is what holds the window in the camper.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #23

Upstate New York (near Albany)
Quote:
Welcome to the club. I completely resealed the windows on my U-Haul, but was unable to find a supplier for the rubber channels and - of course - I still get leakage when there's heavy rain with wind. I finally solved the problem with slender plastic troughs under the windows, filled with sponges. Now, even in a heavy downpour, I just have to wring out the little sponges occasionally - the cushions and bedding stay dry.

Hi, Jack. Do you remember where you bought these slender plastic troughs from? I am going to try your idea. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #24

Trailer: U-Haul 1984 13VT
Stephen,
I 'am in desperate need as well of all these coveted p/n to seal up my leaky windows!

Question 1: What is the p/n for the outer seal that seals the glass as it is slid into the closed position?

Question 2: What is the seal that runs vertically on the front edge of the glass, that goes between the glass and the frame?

Im excited about this possibility of overhauling these existing windows insted of having to
search e-bay every day for somthing else that might work.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 07-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #25

Dennis,

Hi, we like you, have been unable to find the seal that goes between the glass and the groove in the window. We have looked higher than high, and lower than low!!! I think our only option is to try to invent our own.

We did find the seal that holds the window in place in the fiberglass. I can talk to Al about a price for what we didn't use and sell it to you if you are intersted. We had to buy a 50 foot roll and only used about 22 feet. We had to have someone come in to install it though, Al spent hours trying to put it in, and finally gave up. Al works in a body shop and knows a glass guy who was able to do it in no time!

Donna
Old 07-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #26
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Question 2: What is the seal that runs vertically on the front edge of the glass, that goes between the glass and the frame?
Dennis,

Have you checked Vintage Trailer supply?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #27

Dennis~

What is on the glass that make the window slide open? We are missing this piece! We tried to use Gorilla glue to glue on basically a drawer pull, but it comes off. Any suggestions on what we could use? We don't know what was there originally.
Thanks again,
Donna
Old 07-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #28

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
No one has mentioned the weep holes. They have a nasty habit of getting clogged with debris, and no amount of sealing with rubber gaskets will fix a problem caused by clogged weep holes.

-- Dan Meyer

Tags
windows