Leaking windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 1984 13 ft
I have water leaks around the seals of my 13' U-haul 1984. I can't find a source for the felt track or the rubber glass seal. Can anyone help? Who made the windows for U-haul?

Thank you,
Stephen Brown
Stephen Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Best I can do for you is point you to the Helpful-Links: Windows and Window Parts
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
I can't help you, but just to let you know, you're not alone. Mine leak also.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Welcome to the club. I completely resealed the windows on my U-Haul, but was unable to find a supplier for the rubber channels and - of course - I still get leakage when there's heavy rain with wind. I finally solved the problem with slender plastic troughs under the windows, filled with sponges. Now, even in a heavy downpour, I just have to wring out the little sponges occasionally - the cushions and bedding stay dry.

jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
That's an innovative solution to the leaking window problem Jack!

We bought the original made-for-U-Haul unbeaded glass channel from Ray Horner at his store on ebay. Since then, it seems the store has been closed, and I'm not aware of another source for the channel that would be the proper size. (The others I've seen on the internet are made for thicker windows.) If worst came to worst, maybe you could get unbeaded glass channel that was too big and cut it to size, then affix it into place on the window track. We'd love to learn what you come up with for a replacement!

We bought rubber molding (part # 009-057) from Interstate Metal Fabricators. Among other things, they are suppliers of replacement Hehr window parts.

Interstate Metal Fabricators
13509 S E Johnson Road
Milwaukie, OR 97222
(503) 786-8860

email:info@interstatemetals.com

It isn't a perfect fit because it's actually made for thicker windows than the U-Haul has, and as a result it bunches up a little bit around the corners and doesn't quite meet the windowpane, but it's a huge improvement over nothing at all. Here's what it looks like in place:

Click image for larger version

Name:	uhaulmolding.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	7206

Good luck!
Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Welcome to the club. I completely resealed the windows on my U-Haul, but was unable to find a supplier for the rubber channels and - of course - I still get leakage when there's heavy rain with wind. I finally solved the problem with slender plastic troughs under the windows, filled with sponges. Now, even in a heavy downpour, I just have to wring out the little sponges occasionally - the cushions and bedding stay dry.

Jack I took my troughs out when I had some fiberglass work done last year. I never thought to put some sponges in there.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #7

Hi! We are in the process of replacing the windows in our 13 ft Uhaul too!! What a job! But, we did find the window felt that we needed and it does fit. I'd be happy to look up the information as to where we got it and let you know tomorrow. I was also able to find the correct size rubber gasket for the outside of the windows too (from a different supplier.).Don't think you are going to get off cheap doing this either, just the felt and gasket cost over $200.00!!
Hopefully in the next week or two we will be putting the windows back in. We are going to "The Car Part Yard Sale" in Carlisle PA next weekend and I'm hoping we can find a few more of the pieces we need there. I know we can get the windlace for the seams there too. The car goes into the shop this weekend for Al to paint it. He can't wait. I think if we were guaranteed good weather (no rain) we'd take it out without windows!! Can't wait to get them in, and get on the road!!! I'll let you know tomorrow about our suppliers info if you are interested.
Al & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Hi Al & Donna! What I need most is the rubber gasket that fits into the channel on the outside of the windows and presses against the glass - I have been unable to find anything that fits. Have you found something?
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #9

Hi Al and Donna

Thank you. Yes I am very interested! I would very much like the contact information for the felt and rubber glass seal.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Stephen Brown
Davis, California

Quote:
Hi! We are in the process of replacing the windows in our 13 ft Uhaul too!! What a job! But, we did find the window felt that we needed and it does fit. I'd be happy to look up the information as to where we got it and let you know tomorrow. I was also able to find the correct size rubber gasket for the outside of the windows too (from a different supplier.).Don't think you are going to get off cheap doing this either, just the felt and gasket cost over $200.00!!
Hopefully in the next week or two we will be putting the windows back in. We are going to "The Car Part Yard Sale" in Carlisle PA next weekend and I'm hoping we can find a few more of the pieces we need there. I know we can get the windlace for the seams there too. The car goes into the shop this weekend for Al to paint it. He can't wait. I think if we were guaranteed good weather (no rain) we'd take it out without windows!! Can't wait to get them in, and get on the road!!! I'll let you know tomorrow about our suppliers info if you are interested.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
... we did find the window felt that we needed and it does fit. I'd be happy to look up the information as to where we got it and let you know tomorrow. I was also able to find the correct size rubber gasket for the outside of the windows too (from a different supplier.).I'll let you know tomorrow about our suppliers info if you are interested.
We're interested!!!

Jeanne
Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Jack I took my troughs out when I had some fiberglass work done last year. I never thought to put some sponges in there.
Al & Donna, [b]PLEASE, PLEASE let us know about the supplier's info. I am so tired of the leaking windows. When I camped last year, the leaky windows completely saturated everything that was in the camper. The guy that fiberglassed & painted it said the windows would not leak (said that he resealed them & that would fix the leaks).
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #12

Hi Stephen
I did find the window channel. It's the same size and everything of the original one that we took out. I can't remember the name of the place that I ordered it from. (It was a whole 2 weeks ago!!) I know we had to order 50 ft of it. We will have enough left over so you could do all your windows too, so if you are interesed maybe we can work something out. The other thing is that we are going to put the "locking" part on the inside this time. The flat outter part will give a more finished look to the camper. If you are interested, you can email me at szagolad1@juno.com and I can give you our phone #. Al will be able to give you more details about what we have. I know we have the right stuff though, I don't think anyone is more detail oriented than Al !!! We are on the East coast, I think I saw that you are in CA?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #13

Stephen, do you have the window latch for your windows? Ours is missing. I was wondering if you did replace it, what did you use?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #14

Patty. I will look it up tonight and let you know. I told Stephen we will have enough to do 2 campers since we had to buy a 50 ft roll. If you are interested in purchasing what's left over (and Stephen passes on the deal) we can work something out. We are in PA. We plan on having the windows back in within the next 2 weeks, and then, Lord only knows where we'll be! I know we won't be in Kintnersville, PA though!! You can email me at szagolad1@juno.com and I can give you my phone # if you are interested. Donna
Old 04-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #15

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
Quote:
Patty. I will look it up tonight and let you know. I told Stephen we will have enough to do 2 campers since we had to buy a 50 ft roll. If you are interested in purchasing what's left over (and Stephen passes on the deal) we can work something out. We are in PA. We plan on having the windows back in within the next 2 weeks, and then, Lord only knows where we'll be! I know we won't be in Kintnersville, PA though!! You can email me at szagolad1@juno.com and I can give you my phone # if you are interested. Donna

If you can find the place where you bought the outside rubber that fits against the window I would be interested also. We have a 16 ft uhaul vt. Thanks Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #16

Quote:

Hi, Donna. I am definitely interested. I will email you.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Stephen, do you have the window latch for your windows? Ours is missing. I was wondering if you did replace it, what did you use?
Yes, I have the latches. They are all loose and need to be glued on the windows, but I assume they are originals.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #18

Quote:

Hi Jack, that's a good idea. I think I had water coming in that way too. At first, I thought it was condensation. The leak I'm sure of now is coming from the middle of the window and is trickling down between the outer shell and interior wall. I'm pretty sure the door window has an internal leak too because when the door is opened when the trailer is tilted forward, water drips from a hole in the bottom of the door. If Al and Donna have the felt and glass seal, I'm hoping that will seal things. Hate to do it all and then still have a leak.

Stephen Brown
Old 04-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #19

Good Morning Everyone. I found the information I promised you. The window felt was ordered from Restoration Specialties restorationspecialties.com 1-814-467-9842 Item # AS1268. This is a great place, they will send samples of whatever you need before you purchase it. They also have the windlace for the seam of the camper too, in a variety of colors and 2 styles!! Restoration Specialities is located in Windber, PA.

The weatherstrip was from technologylk.com 1-888-663-9830 the product was
CRL one piece self sealing universal weatherstrip Manufacturer # AS 1536 it measures: 3/16" to 1/4 panel, 3/16 to 1/4 glass we had to buy a 50 foot roll. Technology LK is located in Cleveland, OH.

Good Luck, hope this helps. We will keep you posted on how we install ours, and any helpful tips!
Donna and Al
Old 04-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #20

Registry
Thanks so much Donna and Al for sharing your sources of these hard-to-find items.

I'm amazed at the selection of glass channel that Restoration Specialties carries! This is great information for any type of trailer - our Casita needs some new window parts and I look forward to finding what's needed from them.

We'd love to and hear how your window restoration goes. Thanks again!

Jeanne

Tags
windows