Leaking windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
I am very happy to be a new member of your group.
I have a 1986 13 ft U_Haul trailer and almost all my windows are leaking.
What can I do to fix them or where can I by new ones?

Hélène from Montréal
Hélène L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
It depends on what is leaking. The window itself or the installation of the window to the trailer. If it's the window there are repair parts available for most windows. If it the install they will need to be removed and properly reinstalled.

There is info on this site about window fixing. Do a search on window repair or installation.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I'm not familiar with U-hauls, but as Lizbeth pointed out, it depends if your windows are leaking around the outside frame, or within the panes themselves. Layers of silicone sealant around the outside frame, for example, are a clue that there could have been long-term leakage that was just masked by a previous owner. The right way to fix this is most likely to remove all silicone, remove the window, then reinstall it using butyl tape, and you should be good to go for another 20 years.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I didn't reply earlier because I feel like I remember that the U-haul side windows use a rubber gasket instead of a flange that you'd use butyl tape on. Helene, can you post a photograph of the windows in question? (Or even find one on the web that looks like yours, so we can see.)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look for weep holes on the outside bottom of the windows to make sure they are open. This only applies to metal frames. If the weep holes get plugged up some water may enter the window.

Could it be possible that you have condensation on the inside of the glass? If the camper is airtight and people are in it, it creates condensation on the inside.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows