Leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Oklahoma
Leaks

I have a 19ft Scamp 5th Wheel Deluxe.

Under the white plastic caps, there is what I describe as nylon washers with screws through the middle of the "bowl" area, where the white caps snap onto the washers.

I have a few missing and have had a few water leaks.

I have tried to fix a couple with Butyl tape around the screw and on top of the hole, followed up by putting a little of the non silicone sealer on top of the tape and around the edges, but don't know if that will fix the leaks. There must be a better way.........

What type of sealant is recommended under the nylon washers to seal them in place?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
John Cotrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Are you sure they are screws and not rivits going through the washer? Seems a bit odd that they would be screws.

While replacing the ones that where missing caps and washers and ones that appeared to be a bit loose from the inside I took them right off (drilled out the old rivet) and started new. When I did mine I put a *very* small dab of polyurethane marine type caulking under the washer on the side that goes up against the trailer before putting the rivet in place and then a *very* tiny dab of it in the middle of the rivet hole before putting caps back on.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Carol,

My 5th wheel is the deluxe model. It has screws that go from outside the shell into wood cabinets, holding them in place. There are cabinets everywhere in this model so the screws are what go into the nylon washers.

How long have your rivets been in place using the Marine grade polyurethane sealant?

Thanks for the reply and help.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think the deluxe models use screws for the wood interior and the standard use rivets since the there is limited wood inside. Members remove the screws and put sealant on them, and seal the cap.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cotrill View Post
Carol,

My 5th wheel is the deluxe model. It has screws that go from outside the shell into wood cabinets, holding them in place. There are cabinets everywhere in this model so the screws are what go into the nylon washers.

How long have your rivets been in place using the Marine grade polyurethane sealant?

Thanks for the reply and help.
Learn something new every day - I didnt know that about the deluxe.

The first batch of rivets, washers and caps I replaced was about 4.5 years ago. No leaks so far. Went with what I did as it was designed for boats that do tend to flex a far bit just as our trailers do.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Carol,

I'll be at the Boat Store tomorrow!!

Thanks,

John
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
John,
The fix might be as simple as tightening the screws a bit. The washer / cap is the seal. I have had several of the nuts vibrate completely off after a year of hard use, and found many more that were loose. I removed them all one by one and put a drop of blue locktite on each. No problems now.
As far as sealing small annoying leaks, try Captain Tully's Creeping Crack Sealer. It wicks into small cracks and seals them permanently. You can order it from marine supply houses.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, scamp