Leaks... do we need to replace window seal? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #1

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Leaks... do we need to replace window seal?

So I guess the only good thing about having 6 days of rain in a row is that we now know all the places our '93 Scamp is leaking. We knew of 2 spots previously- from the roof vent, which I'm hoping is just because the cover is cracked. We have a new cover but still need to install it. The window over the stove was leaking and we will push that out and use butyl tape to put back in.

We found some new spots though this week. We can't quite figure out the source, but I'm guessing it's the back window based on how the seal looks. It also appears that the p.o. used a lot of silicone to try to deal with it. So do we need to replace the back window or is there any other solution? See pictures of the windows below (sorry don't know how to make them not so big). We keep trying to come up with ways to temporarily deal with it but I'm guessing we just need to bite the bullet and redo the whole thing? Probably front and back.

If only it would stop raining so we could work on it! We leave for AK 7 weeks from today and the Scamp seems to be a bigger project every time we look at it! Hoping to have time to get done what we have to. I'm sure I'll keep the questions coming!

Back window:

Line of water inside:

Front window (hard to see but has cracks in the seal):
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The rubber seals look seriously hardened and cracked from age and UV light from Sun exposure. I would order the seals and replace them all. The way they are looks pretty bad, you will be happy when it's done and looking like new.

Re: the pictures. Use the "Go Advanced" option and then "Manage Attachments" and upload your pics. They will show as thumbnails in your post.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

Massachusetts
Yeah, that's what I thought. I wonder if we should get new windows too- they are kind of old and scratched up. Can a glass place do that? Do we have to take them the old window to size it?

I'll fix the photos tomorrow- thanks!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
SEE: Front & Rear Windows - Boler-Camping

and

https://youtu.be/Byyp4i39Lro
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
if those are the solid plexiglass windows they can be ordered from Scamp, $45 and $55. They sell the rubber weatherstrip by the foot. You'll also need the lock strip and you'll need the lock strip tool, Lisle #47000. Buy a little extra of the weatherstrip as you need to cut it to exact length as you install it. Installation can be challenging, my Uhaul has similar side windows. The tool may be found at some auto parts stores or from Amazon
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:43 AM   #6

Massachusetts
I've watched installation videos and I think we're handy enough to put in the windows, but I don't think handy enough to make our own. I wonder what shipping from Scamp would be. Seems like it would be cheaper to find a local source. I also like the idea of a slightly tinted window.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #7

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
U can go to Home depot or a Lowes ! They cut u plexiglass or
mexbob5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #8

New York
I would assume that the windows from Scamp would fit the best. Call them and ask about shipping. Someone here mentioned shipping prices were better if you call. I bought two windows from Scamp and they were very well packed. You'll need the weatherstrip too. The similar weatherstrip I used on our Uhaul was only available in 50 foot lengths from Perfectfit.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Remember that you have the old window as a template if you decide to source the plexiglass locally. Main thing is to get the same thickness. Cutting plexiglass is not that hard. This is one of many tutorial videos a search turned up:

I can't be sure, but it looks like your back window has the modified flat space for a slider. Personally, I love my opening window at the back. It would cost some bucks to order and ship from Scamp, and at this juncture you may just want to get this rig on the road at minimal cost. Understandable. But if you're planning to keep it a while, it might be a worthy investment. Assuming the opening is the same size (which I think likely, and Scamp could tell you), installation of the slider is easier than plexiglass.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:09 AM   #10

New York
The Scamp rear slider windows use a clamp ring to hold them in, much easier than wrestling with that rubber weatherstrip. I have no idea if the slider will replace the plexiglass window. I do know that the stick on foam type strip that Scamp sent with the window did not work for me, I had to pull the window back out and use butyl tape to seal it. But I was installing the window in a Uhaul camper, so some difference there. I bought one rear and one side window from Scamp. They were wrapped in some soft material and in a custom built wood box. Shipping by UPS was $60, that was May 2012, shipped to eastern NY
Old 05-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #11

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Hi CarrieR,
Just letting you know we have a '91 scamp with all the same leaks you have. We ordered the back sliding window to replace the plexiglass one. Bill installed it by himself and had no problems. Leak back there is fixed! The difference in ventilation with the back slider is huge improvement and much nicer than the previous plexiglass which is thin and just held in with rubber seal. We highly recommend this modification. Hope this helps! Laura (not Bill).
Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Bob is correct. Use butyl tape to install a slider, if that's what you decide. Shame on Scamp if they suggest anything else!
Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Bob is correct. Use butyl tape to install a slider, if that's what you decide. Shame on Scamp if they suggest anything else!
Scamp lists the foam rubber type tape as "window gasket" on their parts site. It's the stuff you buy in a hardware store to go around doors or windows in your house. I figured that since they sent it with the windows it must be what they use. I couldn't get it to compress enough for the window flange to set tight against the fiberglass. The butyl tape worked great.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Scamp lists the foam rubber type tape as "window gasket" on their parts site. It's the stuff you buy in a hardware store to go around doors or windows in your house. I figured that since they sent it with the windows it must be what they use. I couldn't get it to compress enough for the window flange to set tight against the fiberglass. The butyl tape worked great.
Who knows, it may well be! My Scamp came with a fair bit of silicone around the windows, too. Not sure if the culprit was Scamp or the previous owner, but from what I've read, it may have been Scamp. I'm not going to do anything until the windows need resealing. But when the time comes, I will definitely use butyl. And it may come soon, as the silicone is peeling off and looks unsightly.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Ooh, I didn't even realize there was a slider option. May very well consider that.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #16

Name: Darla
Trailer: U Haul CT 13 - 1984
Ohio
Thumbs up Window Repair and Leak Issues

Hello,
I am new to this blog and only signing in to give my information. I have a U Haul CT 13, 1984. I started with the side windows. I replaced everything and even some of the glass that had been replaced with plexiglass. I then pulled the back window and have it ready to go back in. Today, I pulled the door window because someone had put it in backwards. I was hesitant to post because all of my labor wasn't paying off. My windows leaked horribly. Today I found that you have to cut a hole in the flocked channel at the same spot as the drain hole. Once I did this, I did a test in the sink and no water came through to the other side. I will keep everyone posted as I proceed now that I am sure I figured out the problem. I will shortly post all companies, product numbers, and photos.
Darla
Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #17

New York
Darla; all that info is in the document center here, and the files section of the Uhaul Facebook group. But I'm curious as to what weatherstrip you used to install the side windows as that is a somewhat debatable issue
Old 05-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #18

Name: Darla
Trailer: U Haul CT 13 - 1984
Ohio
Mary and Bob,
I don't do Facebook so I would have not known that.

I used a product from a company called Perfect Fit-McDonald, Inc.

AS-1488 and then to zip it I used As-937-A

I worked great and no leaks.

Have you replace all of your seals, flocked channels, and bug seal?
Darla
Coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #19

New York
Darla, I used AS1456 and 789 for the weatherstrip. Replaced my rear window and one side window with Scamp units and the other side window with a new Uhaul window I found at a surplus company. No more of them available
Old 05-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #20

Massachusetts
Called Scamp. The rear slider is still $60 to ship (they wooden crate it). We're going to go for it! We're going to pass on replacing the front window right now because even though it isn't pretty, there aren't any leaks there.

Follow up questions:
-Any recommendations on how best to get all that silicone off?
-Is butyl tape the only other thing we need? Any installation tips?

Looking forward to my breezy sleeping!

Tags
leaks