Leaks... do we need to replace window seal? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #21

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
Called Scamp. It is still $60 to ship (they wooden crate it). We're going to go for it! We're going to pass on replacing the front window right now because even though it isn't pretty, there aren't any leaks there.

Follow up questions:
-Any recommendations on how best to get all that silicone off?
-Is butyl tape the only other thing we need? Any installation tips?

Looking forward to my breezy sleeping!
The slider went in without issues on our 1991 Scamp and the distinction that the parts people at Scamp made was the exterior window "ledge" or lip in the fiberglass that allows a flat window to be installed.

First, I pulled the old flat plexiglass window out. The seal was in two pieces and once I had it started I simply pulled the plastic window panel out and the seal followed.

Next, I used a single edged razor blade and carefully removed all the silicone that I could scrape off. Then I wiped down the dirty mess with a cleaner. I used Purple Power because we love that stuff. The area was really clean and I was ready for the install but I waited about ten minutes allowing the sunshine to completely dry the area.

Now, dry fit the window to ensure everything fits together the way they're supposed to fit. I used the wooden crate that the window came in (they really pack that thing in tight because I had to use a chisel to cut the wood panel off the crate because the glued the wood panel to wood crate before they screwed it together!) as a table to work off of applying a single strip of butyl tape to the window frame and I trimmed any excess over-hang of butyl from the frame. I let the window sit in the sun while I inspected the window opening to ensure it was clean and dry. The few seconds that I was busy at the window opening allowed the sun to warm the butyl to maximum stickiness.

Ensuring the I had the top of the window "up" and the drain vents down, I tipped the window into the opening and gently pressed the window into the opening. (This is the tricky part if you're working alone because the window can fall out and will break because it's glass.) With the butyl tape holding the window in place, I quietly snuck inside to put the retaining ring into place being extremely careful not to push the window out into the driveway. I installed the first screw, top center, very carefully to "catch" the window with the frame so the window wouldn't fall out. Then I double checked my placement before continuing to ensure the window is centered in the hole.

Assured of placement, I worked my way around the window installing the mounting screws on opposite sides of the window frame to pull the retaining frame to the exterior window snug. Once I had all the screws in place, I tightened each of them, alternating across the window frame to achieve a smooth seal all around the window.

When I went outside to check there was the smallest bead of butyl tape being squeezed from the edge of the exterior window frame. I used a razor blade to remove any "large" amounts of butyl, of which there was almost none, and the job was done. Easy peasy...well, it was a little nerve wracking while the window was simply "stuck" in the hole and hanging on by the butyl, but overall, it went very smoothly. No leaks yet and we've been in some pretty heavy rains.

Hope this helps...good luck.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Easy peasy...well, it was a little nerve wracking while the window was simply "stuck" in the hole and hanging on by the butyl,
This is a case of Duct Tape to the rescue. Long strips as much as you need to know the window will stay in place. Will come off easily, with no residue, if you don't leave it on for days in the heat.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #23

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
With the butyl tape holding the window in place, I quietly snuck inside to put the retaining ring into place being extremely careful not to push the window out into the driveway. I installed the first screw, top center, very carefully to "catch" the window with the frame so the window wouldn't fall out. Then I double checked my placement before continuing to ensure the window is centered in the hole.

Assured of placement, I worked my way around the window installing the mounting screws on opposite sides of the window frame to pull the retaining frame to the exterior window snug. Once I had all the screws in place, I tightened each of them, alternating across the window frame to achieve a smooth seal all around the window.
Thanks- that's really helpful! I assume the retaining ring is something that comes with the window?
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, it does. Two people make this job a lot easier- one outside and one inside. Tighten the retaining ring gradually from all sides so the butyl is compressed evenly.

You're gonna love it!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Only thing I would add to Bill's description of the install is to retighten the screws a day or two later. It is amazing how well they pack the windows, screwed AND glued box !!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks