Leaky Jalousie window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Leaky Jalousie window

Hi, the driver side jalousie window on my 16' Scamp is an emergency escape type thingee and it leaks. I've been staring at it for a while trying to find clues as to where it is leaking. It's riveted together from about a thousand pieces of aluminum extrusion and I kinda suspect that the sealant on the rivets and between the pieces is cracked in places and that the whole thing might be leaking here and there. One option may be to drill out the rivets and rebuild the whole thing with fresh sealant. Not sure what other options might be. The spot with the most evidence of standing/leaking water is the ledge that is exposed when you swing the window out. Anyone have experience with this? I did a search but I didn't see this specific topic come up. The window is not leaking where it is joined to the fiberglass. There is no sign of water damage there. It pools on this ledge and drips down onto the seat and then runs down underneath from there. (I have seen the puddle on the seat while the wall was dry)
Any help is much appreciated.
GrregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might find something of interest here.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The actual source of water leaking in can be very difficult to determine sometimes because water will travel from the source to the actual point where you see it appear. I've spent many hours trying to eliminate leaks in our Uhaul. Still not done but I'm making progress. Greg, do you have the old style square corner windows, or the newer round corner type. Are there any drain holes that could be plugged. We have a new Scamp jalousie window in the side of our Uhaul, and after I removed the foam tape that Scamp sent with the window and reinstalled it with butyl tape there was no more leak. You may have to use a hose to run water on the trailer, start low, work your way up until the leak appears. I've even had leaks through tiny flaws or chips in the fiberglass. Just this past weekend I discovered that what I thought was a leak around the window turned out to be a flaw in the fiberglass seam.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

California
Thank you Thomas, this evening when I have more time I'll dig through those threads.
Mary and Bob, I have the old square cornered style. I think you are right, I'm going to need to use a hose. It shouldn't be too hard to spot, it leaked in the last rain we had here which was pretty light. Thanks for the tips on where else to look.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrregP View Post
Hi, the driver side jalousie window on my 16' Scamp is an emergency escape type thingee and it leaks.

A jalousie escape window ?

I can't even picture what that would look like-?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #6

California
Looks pretty much like the regular one except it's a little deeper and has two red handles on the left side. It swings out and is hinged on the right. (Looked at from inside) I can take a picture if you like. I'm not sure if the window area is smaller or if the opening is larger to accommodate the extra framing. It was all caulked shut but still leaking.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #7

California
I guess new trailers don't have escape windows anymore?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I can take a picture if you like.
Yes please. AND, it would be helpful to know the year of the trailer. The Scamp jalousies have been everything from multiple panes to tip outs to the new radius jalousie.

We have solutions.. or at least threads that you may find of value, but we need to know precisely what the window looks like
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Looks pretty much like the regular one except it's a little deeper and has two red handles on the left side. It swings out and is hinged on the right. (Looked at from inside) I can take a picture if you like. I'm not sure if the window area is smaller or if the opening is larger to accommodate the extra framing. It was all caulked shut but still leaking.
This is a jalousie window:

(They can have more panes)...

Is this what we're talking about here, only with some sort of whole-frame tipout contraption???

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

California
Here's the window in question. Outside, inside and open:
Attached Thumbnails
image-1437436287.jpg   image-336569253.jpg  

image-1259866997.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #11

California
It's an '83 according to the title. That's all I have to go by.
P.S. can anyone tell me how to pronounce Jalousie? I'm so glad I've only had to spell it so far!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
P.S. can anyone tell me how to pronounce Jalousie? I'm so glad I've only had to spell it so far!
Ja-loss-ee

Now if it was just spelled the same way.

Have you checked out Dannyh's thread about repairs? I don't think he mentioned an egress window, but maybe something within the thread will be of value: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-41003.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Quote:
Here's the window in question. Outside, inside and open:
I have been scouring the net for about a year now trying to figure out how to replace the emergency egress jalousie on my 82 16'. Everyone I speak to has no idea what I'm talking about. This photo is a vindication and makes me even more resolved to figure out how to restore this original than replace with a modern version.
Ozmandium is offline   Reply With Quote