leaky jalousie windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #1

Name: Cassia
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
leaky jalousie windows

Hi all. I've obtained a 1976 Trillium 1300 and it's definitely a bit of a project. My most pressing concern is that the jalousie windows leak. It's not too bad on the side windows, but I found out the hard way that the front window leaks very badly when driving in the rain. I had someone spray it down with the hose while I checked for leak locations, and it leaks along the edges, water coming in the sides. To my untrained and seriously amateur eye, it looks like the tiny seal along the edge of each panel of the jalousie has shrunk, and it no longer reaches to the end of each window pane. However, it also seems like there is a fair amount of space for water to get in anyway. Does anyone have any nuggets of wisdom for me? I have a few other things I need to tackle but need to figure out this one before I get stuck with a soggy bed again.

One more question - I don't have a window guard. Does the window guard solve the leaky front window issue? If so, perhaps that is the place to start.

Thank you!
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Cassia, to FiberglassRV we're glad you're here.

I'll wait for a Trillium owner to answer your leak, seal and gasket issue. But, I can tell you the gravel guard only protects the window from breakage, it does nothing to prevent water intrusion. You obviously need to fix the leaks first. And quickly before interior damage occurs... like mold.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
With age the seals on jalousie windows shrink, harden and get brittle. The windows are easy to work on and take apart with simple tools including a screwdriver and heat gun (no drilling or grinding required).

Although I have not repaired a Trillium front window all the jalousie windows in that era are similar. I was able to get all the replacement seals from Vintage Trailer Supply , specifically I used the Jalousie J-Seal on the sides and bottoms of the opening pains and the Jalousie Header & Sill Seal on the top.

I have made a video for YouTube on disassembly of the Boler side Jalousie window, today I am reassembling it and will be filming the process which includes replacing the seals.

The video may help you
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks to you both. It looks like I will indeed have to rove the windows entirely for these repairs. Thanks so much for the video. Super helpful.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
One more question - I don't have a window guard. Does the window guard solve the leaky front window issue? If so, perhaps that is the place to start.

Thank you!
The front window guard on my Trillium most certainly does prevent water intrusion when driving. I seldom see evidence of any moisture at all on those windows...and I live/drive/camp in perhaps the rainiest part of the Country.

The original front guard design wraps around the window frame itself and latches securely against the trailer face. Side/additional benefit: While not rubber "sealed", it's actually efficient enough to create dead air sufficient to prevent consensation formation on the inside of the jalousie panes, even in very cold weather.

All of that having been said:

It's difficult if not impossible to find an exact replacement for that window guard. Your best hope of doing so might be to locate one of the few Trilliums that have the guard on the rear window, too, and attempt to beg/buy that perhaps superfluous one from the owner.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks for the words of wisdom Francesca! Appreciated.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
No one has mentioned it yet but when the trillium windows leak it is usually a sign of the wood they are screwed into needing replacement. There are threads here on how to do the fix. Like this one: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...val-32963.html

Or you can google this for more: trillium windows wood site:fiberglassrv.com
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The front window guard on my Trillium most certainly does prevent water intrusion when driving. I seldom see evidence of any moisture at all on those windows...and I live/drive/camp in perhaps the rainiest part of the Country.
That may be true while you're driving, but you gotta stop sometime! My point was that no one should think it would stop leaks ALL THE TIME. Water, like mice, can find the tiniest hole and make a mess.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #9

British Columbia
Thanks Roy - I've checked the wood and though it shows signs of having been wet, it's neither mouldy or rotten so I think it's ok. Even so I will check the video. If I'm taking the window out anyway it's probably worth doing right.

Donna - the window leak is actually manageable when not driving - but when driving with the water pushing up into the windows? = very wet bed for my son. And unhappy campers all around! I'm not ready to take out all the windows, though it will need to be done over time, but I think I will attempt the front window this year to at least mitigate the water issue. All the advice and videos are a huge help.

I took another look at the seals yesterday and there are up to 1.5 inch gaps at the corners where the seals have shrunk, and the seals themselves seem quite hard and a bit brittle. They are, after all, coming up on 40 years old!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #10

British Columbia
It is also possible that I hadn't *quite* gotten the window fully closed on that fateful day. It was an awful lot of water...
Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
From time to time the folks at Outback / Trillium, in Calgary, have a used rock guard available. Give Joe Thoen a call at (403) two seven two - 3929. They had one last year, maybe they have another.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jalousie windows, windows