Leaky Tail lights. Anybody else? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #29

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Aww...thank you Carol! I wish I could really hold that little puppy right now! My dog is over on the other couch and I've called her 5 times to come over and snuggle as I work and she's too lazy to get up off her butt!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #30

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I have a 2012 scamp 13. Washed trailer Sunday, has been no rain otherwise. Noticed inside of red plastic rectangular lens had water inside. Dripping from bulb.
Quote:
There is no gasket at all, on either tail light. I have a 2012. Is there supposed to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I would also take off the main light housing and put some butyl around the back side of it as well if there is none now - I know Scamp didn't put any behind mine - it was something I added when I change the rear lights out to LED.

A small hole on the bottom of the lens to let the water out isn't going to hurt it.
Just how much water are we talking about? a few drops? 16 ounces?

The left front turn signal light on my company's Ford E250 Van filled up with water after it rained, submerging the bulb. That fixture is gasketed, which held all that water IN. I drilled a 1/16" hole near the bottom to let the water out. I made it small so I wouldn't break the plastic lens. 1/16" is plenty big enough for a drain.

I have similar tail lights as yours with square corners instead of radius corners. The red lens snaps in place over prongs on the sides of the main housing. There is not supposed to be a gasket with this design.

I think Carol has the right idea: remove the base housing and Butyl seal the back of it. I had a problem with my back-up light on the right side corroding to the point that it arced and melted the plastic holding the contacts. The whole metal center part was badly corroded. The fixture was just screwed onto the back of the trailer.

When I replaced the fixture, I applied butyl to the back because that would seal the opening that the wires come through the shell. When I replaced the back-up light bulbs with LEDs recently, the inside was as clean and dry and shiny as the day I installed the light fixture 3 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0362.jpg   100_0363.jpg  

Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #31

New York
Registry
I don't know if I fully understood but I hope what I did was good. I put butyl over the screw holes of the housing and added some butyl over the wire hole both on the FG and on the front of black housing where wires enter. I did put butyl all around black case where plastic lens seats in but none along the bottom. I did not put butyl around back edge of plastic housing and probably should have but it's done now and wires behind there have butyl over them the best I could.

I couldn't believe how corroded that right lower bulb socket was on a 2 year old trailer. Although I'm tired it's probably good that I found all this now. Hopefully butyl around lens should prevent water from getting inside there, but maybe I didn't do too good a job on the back of the housing. Live and learn. Well see what happens.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #32

New York
Registry
Nice lights by the way. Where does one buy those? I'm not sure if you mean water in trailer or plastic lens area? Please advise.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #33

California
Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure if you mean water in trailer or plastic lens area? Please advise.
Water inside the plastic lens area. You said it was dripping from the bulb.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #34

New York
Registry
Oh yes that's right. It wasn't full of water as I only washed the trailer, not from a long rain. Water was on metal bracket and base of lens. I'm sorry Frederick, I can't guess too well. Maybe an ounce or two?

Old 08-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #35

New York
Registry
I'm trying to do the best I can but as a neophyte I make blunders. Frankly I hope this pex test turns up negative because I'm under a lot of pressure now at work and will hopefully have trailer stored inside this winter. It's been a heck of a lot to take in for one summer and I can't believe all the stuff I've learned and then relearned! Picking on myself here; I'm very self deprecating.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #36

California
Registry
Quote:
Nice lights by the way. Where does one buy those?
Any RV parts/service/retail store. Camping World Stores are the largest national chain.

I Googled "Camping World near Sanborn, NY" and it came back with:

Camping World
5533 Camp Rd
Hamburg, NY 14075

That's way to the south, on the other side of Buffalo.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #37

California
Registry
Quote:
I'm trying to do the best I can but as a neophyte I make blunders.
How do you think I learned what I know? I've made every mistake in the book. Some of then twice.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #38

New York
Registry
Ok thank you dear. I will add those to my bucket list for next year. If one changes out the tail lights to led, do all marker lights need to be the same? I see people post about LEDs but never paid much attention as I THOUGHT all my lights were great!

Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #39

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Do you think the Pex is leaking somewhere? Water travels. Wrap every single joint with tissue. Like what you blow your nose with. Check the cabinet area after a rain storm or washing your all molded towable. What's WET?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #40

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Ok thank you dear. I will add those to my bucket list for next year. If one changes out the tail lights to led, do all marker lights need to be the same? I see people post about LEDs but never paid much attention as I THOUGHT all my lights were great!

You have a newer Scamp so the tail lights on it are much better than the old wedding cake style many of us had that are very hard to see (or so those following suggested to me) in certain light conditions - which is why many have swapped out the old lights for brighter LED rear lights. Yours are probable fine but if there is any question in the future as to how bright they are or if your going to do a lot of night driving especially in bad weather brighter LED lights are always better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Wendy, when I was about 10 years old my Dad told me if you never make a mistake you're not learning anything. Well, I'm loaded with learnin' now.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 AM   #42

New York
Registry
Woo hoo! Norm, I just turned on the pump and it did not turn on! So, that does mean I'm back to putting butyl on the rear of the black housing and doing my work all over again.

I should have confirmed my understanding with Carol. I bet the waters running behind the housing, into the trailer and my Scamp plastic housing.

Problem is the darn butyl makes that plastic housing so tight I'm afraid I'll snap or crack it.

Now this time let me confirm: to seal the black housing to the trailer Carol, should I just run a sausage of butyl all around the edge of the housing? Should I still put over screw holes and around plastic lens as I have now?

Some might advise me to do a water/hose test but I won't do that till I'm sure my bases are covered.

Getting ready for some labor this pm!

Wendy

Tags
light, lights, tail lights