Leaky Tail lights. Anybody else? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Wendy, when I was about 10 years old my Dad told me if you never make a mistake you're not learning anything. Well, I'm loaded with learnin' now.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #42

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Woo hoo! Norm, I just turned on the pump and it did not turn on! So, that does mean I'm back to putting butyl on the rear of the black housing and doing my work all over again.

I should have confirmed my understanding with Carol. I bet the waters running behind the housing, into the trailer and my Scamp plastic housing.

Problem is the darn butyl makes that plastic housing so tight I'm afraid I'll snap or crack it.

Now this time let me confirm: to seal the black housing to the trailer Carol, should I just run a sausage of butyl all around the edge of the housing? Should I still put over screw holes and around plastic lens as I have now?

Some might advise me to do a water/hose test but I won't do that till I'm sure my bases are covered.

Getting ready for some labor this pm!

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:14 AM   #43

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Sorry...behind black housing into wiring harness hole in FG and also the red plastic lens. That's more clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #44

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Woo hoo! Norm, I just turned on the pump and it did not turn on! So, that does mean I'm back to putting butyl on the rear of the black housing and doing my work all over again.

I should have confirmed my understanding with Carol. I bet the waters running behind the housing, into the trailer and my Scamp plastic housing.

Problem is the darn butyl makes that plastic housing so tight I'm afraid I'll snap or crack it.

Now this time let me confirm: to seal the black housing to the trailer Carol, should I just run a sausage of butyl all around the edge of the housing? Should I still put over screw holes and around plastic lens as I have now?

Some might advise me to do a water/hose test but I won't do that till I'm sure my bases are covered.
Wendy I would just do a line of butyl about 1/2" wide on the trailer at the point the main light housing sits on the trailer, leaving a bit of a gap at the bottom to allow any future moisture to escape on the off chance it gets in. My experience has been with the trailer not being flat there are various sized gaps between the light housing and the trailer surface. Take a look at the light before you remove it to see where the biggest gaps are & make the butyl thicker at those points and thinner at the points where it already sits snuggly.

If your worried about cracking the main light housing while screwing it back on - best to screw it back on slowly - do at little bit on one screw at a time - don't screw just one screw in all the way and then do the others. Just get the light in place then slowly tighten each equally going back and forth between the screws until it is firmly in place and equally screwed in with each screw and you have no gaps between the housing and trailer.

It would not hurt to put a little on the screw holes as well but if its well sealed around the top and sides on the outside edge of the light housing that shouldn't be necessary. Once you have the light housing mounted back on the trailer just trim away the extra butyl. I don't think I would bother with doing any around the lens itself unless you think that is fits loosely at the top as well and suspect the water is going into the lens and filling up and the water is seeping through the wire hole into the trailer .... which I suspect is not whats happening, mostly likely seeping down the back of the light housing and dripping down the wires into the trailer.

Hope that helps.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
How do you think I learned what I know? I've made every mistake in the book. Some of then twice.
Frederick you are so right! I guess thought that some of us are slower learners as I know there have been times when its taken me doing something the wrong way more than twice to learn the lesson!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #46

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post

Now this time let me confirm: to seal the black housing to the trailer Carol, should I just run a sausage of butyl all around the edge of the housing?
Wendy forgot to say that I wouldn't roll the tape into a sausage shape. I would just lay the tape flat as it comes off the roll and double layer it in spots I know there are large gaps. Its easy to trim away the extra around the edge once the light is back in place.

Tags
light, lights, tail lights