Leather Cushions ??? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 1972 13' Boler
New Brunswick
Leather Cushions ???

We Purchased a 1972 13' Boler last week .
I was planning to recover the cushions in leather, but after reading about others having condensation and dampness problems in their trailers am wordering if this would be a good choice?
We have never even overnighted in a trailer before and had never thought about dampness.The trailer appears to have never had any previous mold,dampness issues.
Has anyone used leather to cover their cushions and if so how is it holding up?
Thanks Lorraine

sj2moncton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
As nice as leather may sound I think I would go with one of the modern simulated leathers for a trailer.

Simulated leather has came a long way. BMW even uses it (or did) as an option to leather.

This would give you the look without the worry.

Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I 2nd the "pleather" vote. Real leather will just not be practical with the moisture. My former trailer was a Boler and in the morning there always was 'dew' all over the inside on the ensolite, moisture is going to happen, no way around that.

But good news, there are some wonderful products out now.
J. Ennis Fabrics has two nice products. Ultraleather is a great feeling fabric at a lower price. The high end Brisa product line is actually breathable leather look - most people would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't leather. I think a breathable fabric to sleep on is important, otherwise you will be too hot and uncomfortable. I think this product is available on both sides of the border.

ETA: I see you are in Moncton. J.Ennis has locations in Toronto & Montreal, so your local upholstry shop should be able to show you samples and bring those products in for you.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I would rather use a high quality upholstery fabric. In case of a leak, I insert my cushion foam in a plastic garbage bag, then insert foam with bag cover into the newly sewn cover.

This makes it easy to insert the foam into the finished cover -- and -- in case of a water leak, only the outer cover gets damp. The foam is protected.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote