Led lighting - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #15
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Wow! Only $44 per light. They cost me $82 ea.plus 14% in taxes here in B.C.
However I would do it again as they are so much better than the original single bulb lights.

Gary (and anyone else who find good sources for products) Would you please ask Donna D. to add that link to the Helpful Links page. I have sent her a dozen or so in the last couple of weeks of ones I had collected in the last couple of years.
Happy New year

Old 12-27-2005, 01:13 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
trythese guys about half way down the automotive page you will see little square boards with leds on them. the base plugs into a standard socket.

here's a link to the right page: board mount

Old 12-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe sold it 2011
My grandfather was a plumber, my dad a diesel mechanic, and i was a teacher, sooo

Can I use the 1156 led for my casita (2005) The bulbs in the sockets are 1141?
Is that a rating or the socket size.

Thanks again.

Joseph
Attached Thumbnails
rearviewofcasitainside_Large_e_mail_view.jpg  
Old 12-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #18

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
1156 in a regular bulb will burn the lens. In an led the light will point in only one direction and you won't like it. The base( push and turn part) is the same. The bulb below is what I was talking about, I have dealt with this company before
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2005, 12:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 19 ft 1992 Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Thanks for the replies about the exterior lights. I'll check out the website, Gary.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:05 AM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
If you're purchasing LEDs for the taillights, this information from SuperBright LEDs may be of interest:

Quote:
For best results the LED color should be the same as the lens color. A red lens will filter out all but the red portion of the light so if the light is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens.
A friend of mine found this out firsthand. Ordered white LEDs for his vehicles red lense taillight. Not very bright. Turned around and ordered the red LEDs much, much better.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 19 ft 1992 Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Regarding post #16

Joe, super lights are what I wasted $50 on replacing the bulbs in my taillights.

They are dimmer than the original bulbs. I do not recommend them for an exterio lights. Interior might be okay but remember that LED's are extremely directional.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:11 AM   #22

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Regarding post #16

They are dimmer than the original bulbs. I do not recommend them for an exterio lights. Interior might be okay but remember that LED's are extremely directional.
LEDs can be much brighter than incandescents. If don't believe it take a look at the center brake lights. Yup, LEDs. Many big rigs are now using LEDs. If you see really bright brake lights they're probably LEDs. There's several factors that come into play with LEDs and brightness. Color of LED, color of lens, lens diffusion, LED internals, current through LED. You get the idea. If you get the entire LED light, not just a replacement bulb, it will be bright. Yes the LED chip is directional, however the chips are inside plastic. The plastic forms a lens and can be made to be narrow, like a laser pointer or can have 180 viewing angle.

My recommendation is... If you want to switch to LEDs for external lighting do a little research, go find a truck store that sells clearance lights, stop lights, etc.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:46 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape
I work at a school district as the transportation director and one of my jobs is to spec. out the new buses we order. To have a new school bus fully equipped with led lights is in the neighborhood of $2000.00 dollars. The last bus I ordered I talked to the bus dealership, [Freightliner-Thomas] he told me that when led lights first came out there were quite a few school districts that ordered there new busses so equiped, but he said most of them have went back to conventional lighting as they didn't think the difference in lighting was worth the extra price. But when you start talking about interior in a TT and the battery drain now thats a different game altogether
Old 12-31-2005, 07:58 AM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
LED lighting is a science and unfortunately you can't just remove a filament bulb and plug in any ole LED and get the bright light you hoped for.

From SuperBright LEDs website:
Quote:
LED bulbs are generally not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs, they have many advantages over filament bulbs (longer life, faster on/off times, lower power consumption, more vivid colors) but brightness is not one of them.

They are generally not as bright but some of them with large numbers of LEDs, will appear brighter than filament bulbs. The light is distributed differently so they can appear brighter in some applications.

Most LED bulbs emit light like a flashlight, all out the end. Regular filament bulbs emit light from the end and all sides, so they will be better suited for some lighting applications that LED bulbs.

This is the same reason why we do not rate LED car bulbs in lumens or watts, they would be a deceptively low numbers because the light is measured from all sides and the end on standard filament bulbs but only from the end on LED bulbs.
For more information, check out these pages:
LED Car Bulbs
LED Info
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #25

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Bought all outside LED runing lights for fiber stream at local
Pep Boys. Got everything I needed which included brake and runninglights and four side markers, two red and two amber, for under 1 hundred dollars, All lights came with backing plates and were very easy to instal.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #26

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe sold it 2011
Ordered three of the white flat leds from Superbright. Thanks Donna and others. We'll let you know how we like them.

Ordered one 32 and two 24, one wide one narrow.

Joseph and Melanie
fulltiming since August 2005
currently in San Marcos, TX
come on by and visit!!

Old 01-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
I was reading info from the site of one of the other LED suppliers on e-bay and they have been making some very emphatic statements indicating that Red LED's should be used behing red lenses. Apparently with LED's a red lens will substantially filter and reduce the effective light coming from a white (Modified Blue) LED. Based on some background from my Grandfather who was a pioneer with a lot of coloured printing ink technology, this seems to be a very logical statement. It helps explain Mike's feeling of loss of intensity.

Here is a link to the source of the comments noted above. TMI LED's

They also have some emphatic comments regarding the use of resistors to make the flashers work.

When someone is this much "out front and in your face" with their statements, I normally wouldn't post the link, but some of their theory has logic......can't comment on fact though!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I was reading info from the site of one of the other LED suppliers on e-bay and they have been making some very emphatic statements indicating that Red LED's should be used behing red lenses. Apparently with LED's a red lens will substantially filter and reduce the effective light coming from a white (Modified Blue) LED. Based on some background from my Grandfather who was a pioneer with a lot of coloured printing ink technology, this seems to be a very logical statement. It helps explain Mike's feeling of loss of intensity.

Here is a link to the source of the comments noted above. TMI LED's

They also have some emphatic comments regarding the use of resistors to make the flashers work.

When someone is this much "out front and in your face" with their statements, I normally wouldn't post the link, but some of their theory has logic......can't comment on fact though!

This is quite true.
LEDs work on a single color. In light spectrum terms a single frequency that produces a single light color. Since white is a mixture of ALL colors a true white LED is not possible. There is some funny stuff done to make UV LED look white. Therefore the closer the match of the Lens color and the LED color the more light is transmitted through the lens.

Tags
led lights, lighting