Led lighting - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #29

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I do not know anything about the science behind LED lights except what I see. In my case, my new 7 inch LED taillights with 60 bulbs each are way brighter then the originals with one large and one smaller incandelescent bulb. No comparison at all. It's night and day. Even the clearance lights with 8 LED bulbs are much brighter and easier to see than the old ones with one small bulb. I do not need to know any science here as the proof is in the product each time I light them up. I cannot speak for any other type of vehicle but my Burro is looking like a bright clear Christmas night in a decorated neighborhood.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #30
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
I was having my first coffee of the day while reading the paper and out falls the latest catalog from Princess Auto. Guess what they ahve on sale. 7" dia. LED tail lights foe $24.99.
That is exactly the size taht fits the Boler and Scamp. They have half the diodes of the Grote lights I paid 3 times as much for but what the hecK!
After I wiped up my spilt coffee and tears my asked me "Whats wrong dear" I replied "Darn, sc.......d again"
Owell!
See attached PDF
Click image for larger version

Name:	Princess.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	947

Old 01-15-2006, 12:00 AM   #31

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
I just bought a set and are really bright!
Old 01-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
I was having my first coffee of the day while reading the paper and out falls the latest catalog from Princess Auto.
No Princess Auto's in the U.S. I'm not a fan of paying S&H...I'll see if I can find the lights at a similar price locally. Thanks for the headsup Con

For our Canadian Members: Princess Auto Locations
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #33
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
What! You nean you don't have any friends up here who could pick stuff and then come for a holidy to visit you?
Too bad my wive's uncle isn't still alive who used to live in South Portland. We used to make at least one trip a year down there. Now if we need anything we have it shipped to my brother in law in Casa Grande and they bring it up with them when they return for the summer. There is always a way.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #34

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Hay Donna,
The Old Fart an The Trailer Goddess will be in Astoria (with Trillium) the week of July 4th,, IF ya need summin'.....
an P.A's local outlet ain't all that far from me neither, can I interest ya in a "Boler Strowler" maye????
Old 01-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
What a nice offer Doug..I really appreciate it You expect me to know what I'm doing the week of July 4? Heck, I can't think more than a week or so from right now. I'll poke around the Portland area and see if I can find those LED tail lights. We've got a couple of big truck stops (with truck stores) close by...I'm sure I could find what I need there. If not, I'll take you up on the offer AND, if I'm not at the other end of the state, I may very well meet you and the Trailer Goddess in Astoria for a Boler Tour too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #36

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
I just found the 60-diode 7 inchers at http://www.etruckpart.com/ for $30.95 each, plus $6.95 shipping and handling. Not bad.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #37

That's the best price I've seen. A super deal for the 7".
Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 PM   #38

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
The hoopla over LEDs has led me to do a little test. I made myself a reading light for the Burro. Fun with the table saw. Bought an 1156 base and screwed it in my little wooden wall fixture. Now, I waited for my 24 diode white LED, $15 plus shipping from an internet supplier, to arrive. It's the largest bulb I could find that was also small enough to serve in my neat little home-boy fixture.

When it arrived I couldn't believe how truly small that LED was. Not quite an inch in diameter across its face. I plugged it in and switched on the juice. First of all, to me, the light seemed hard, harsh, cold, and bluish. But to my surprise it also did not seem bright enough, at least not for reading a book.

This called for comparisons, a test. Which is brighter? I went out and bought a Halogen 50 Watt bulb in an 1156 base from the auto supply store. I put each bulb in the fixture and photographed the results, a furry animal. Digital cameras are great for getting instant results, aren't they?

I first shot a picture with the LED bulb and the camera on Program mode. I noted the settings my camera chose, and used those settings with the camera now in manual mode to shoot the second picture with the Halogen bulb. My findings are that the Halogen bulb is roughly FOUR stops more bright than the LED. The Halogen was also slightly warmer light.

I will be using the Halogen bulb in my reading light (...if it gets installed at all, that is. Was fun to make, but sooo ugly!)
Attached Thumbnails
BulbtestLED.jpg   Bulbtest_Hal2manual.jpg  

Old 01-18-2006, 11:05 PM   #39

Myron,

From I have read here few were very happy using the LED light for reading or even inside the trailer. But for some reason, the outside LEDs are really cool and seem real bright to me. My taillights have 60 of those little bulbs each. It could be that the location spread out evenly over the 7" makes the difference, compared to one bulb in the middle of the original taillight? Also there may be a better reflector in the LED taillight?

In any event, good science regarding your information.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:03 AM   #40

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Myron,

Are you sure about the lablelling on the two pictures?

The one on the left (labelled LED) is far better on my monitor. The one on the right is washed out and yellow.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #41

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Quote:
Myron,

Are you sure about the lablelling on the two pictures?

The one on the left (labelled LED) is far better on my monitor. The one on the right is washed out and yellow.
Exactly. That's the proof, IMHO, that Halogen produces the better light. Left pix is correctly exposed. But using same settings for the right pix the results seen here are way overexposed, by as much as four stops, because its light (Halogen) was four stops brighter than the LED's.

In photography, a "stop" is a term used to define the amount of light entering the camera. Each "stop" allows twice as much light as the succeeding one. So 4 stops translates as 4 times more light, or 4 times less light, whichever way you're going. (All other things being equal.)

Hey Gary, it finally warmed up over 60 degrees one day last week and I got to apply some of that Formula 27 to Burro! Great stuff.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Myron,

You mentioned that you're comparing the 24 LED light to a 50W halogen bulb. You're comparing a 4 amp drain for the halogen to a 0.1 to 0.15 amp drain for the LED. People don't go LED for raw brightness, they do it because they're boon docking and they're trying to save amp-hours.

I wondered if you typo'd the wattage of the halogen, but even at 5W you're talking about 4 times the electrical drain.

For my money, LED's are great for boon docking. About half my bulbs are LED and half regular incandescent depending on whether I'm plugged in or not.

Tags
led lights, lighting