Led lighting - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-23-2005, 07:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Hello again, Im thinking of using all led lighting in my boler has any one had any experience with led lighting inside there trailers, I think it would great idea just because they take barely any juice to run.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 Burro 17 ft Widebody
Quote:
Hello again, Im thinking of using all led lighting in my boler has any one had any experience with led lighting inside there trailers, I think it would great idea just because they take barely any juice to run.
I just installed some LED lights in our Burro. I was going to do a wholesale swap of the lights, so I bought the most LED's per bulb I could find/fit. I found that in general, even with 36 LED's per bulb, they are not as bright as the incadescent lights, have a narrower angle of illumination, and cast a bluish-white light. We decided to split the difference - we have two fixtures in front and two in back, so we put the LED's in one fixture at each end, so if we are dry camping, we can use the LED's alone for general lighting and headlamps for task lighting. In addition, I replace the halogen bulb in our toilet/shower with an LED bulb - we won't be needing a task light in there! To complete the theme, I also installed a 16W flourescent fixture under our sink counter, replacing the dual halogen fixture there. the flourescent light gives off plenty of light for its power. When we do have shore power, the incadescent lights add light and warmth. I hope this helps!

Steve

Old 12-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I replaced all of my trailers clearance and taillights with LED. I mainly did this at first because the large 7" original taillights are no longer made and I needed two of them. I found all the lights on line even the huge 7" round red taillights. What a huge difference in visibility! If you want to keep an old vintage look, do not do this. But if that is not a concern, and safety and visibility is a concern, by all means change over. It amazed me to see them all lit up! They are also water proof as they are all sealed and I liked that idea a lot. I also replaced my license light with two (one on each side of plate) sealed lights that really lit up the license plate super. I doubt anyone could ever miss my trailer in the rain, fog and especially the night now.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Rear LED taillights To see what they look like: Grote.com Available coast-to-coast
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #5

This is a photo of my 82' Burro with the new LED taillights.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #6

And another view of both taillights.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:53 PM   #7

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I like your stabilizer jacks!
Old 12-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #8
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Check out my pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/con111 for more on LED lighting.
I replaced the clearence lights, tail lights and licence plate light. I tried LED multi bulbs in the porch light and the 2 interior 12v lights but was not happy with them. They tend to be very directional comparied to standard bulbs. I would recommend 12v halogen light over LEDS. I also have a 110v flourescent over the sink and I use that most of the time when I am at a RV park.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:29 AM   #9

Frederick L. Simson

I have both front and rear stabilizers. They provide a solid feel when camping. The LED lights are easy to install and about as safe as one can get as far as visibility goes. Also, they take less power to operate, sealed from moisture, vibration will not cause bulb burnout supposedly, and the cost is not a lot higher than incandescent lights. I am very happy with them.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
Hey Gary, That's a great looking Burro you have. Is that very well maintained gel-coat or fresh paint or what? Looks very shiny and clean and fresh. What's up with that? My 84' UHaul looks like crap by comparison. Very dull and lifeless.

A.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Andy,
After having followed your adventures around the country, it's good to know you've surfaced again. Have a wonderful New Year!
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft 1992 Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We have a Scamp 5th wheel and I replaced the tail light bulbs with LED bulbs. They are even dimmer that regular bulbs and a waste of about $50. We were very disappointed.

The Grote.com replacement light, however, looks good and seems like it might actually be brighter.

The Scamps have three screw holes instead of four and so I guess it would involve filling the old holes and making new ones.

Has anyone installed them on a Scamp? Do you know?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #13

Andy,

The Burro has a new paint job. The gel coat was trashed beyond help.

Mike,

The 7" LED taillights I installed are very bright. There are 60 LED bulbs in each one. I bought them at this site for $44 each. http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product.asp?s...y=34&p_gpID=133

But I am no authority of the brightness of these versus your original bulbs on the Scamp. All I have to go by is the two bulbs that were original on the Burro. It had one regular size bulb and one small bulb per side.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:42 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe sold it 2011
Hi there,

thanks for the info. I'm really interested in replacing some of my interior lights w/ leds. Anyone have a source for LEDs???

The current bulbs in my Castia are 1141's. Is there a led 1141??? On e-bay I found 1154's.

Thanks

Joseph and Melanie
fulltiming since August 2005, currently in San Marcos, TX

Tags
led lights, lighting