LED lites and tires - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
LED lites and tires

Two quick questions for the experts.
1. Can I just replace the two interior 12v lites inside my trailer with new LED 12v double pancake lites? Without adding any transformers or stuff.

2. Can I put 14" tires on my Uhaul without any modifications?

Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Patti

Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I don't see why you can't change the lights to LEDs. The only issue might be the extra holes underneath. On mine, there was evidently a different light there originally under the fluorescent, so it has some larger holes that the current light hides.

I see two potential issues with 14" tires. The wheel well is not extra large, so you might have inadequate clearance, especially in front of the tire.

Second, and a bigger issue is the wheel offset. If you still have the original UHaul wheels, they have a 1.75" offset to the outboard side. If you find some wheels with a 4.75" bolt circle and they have the more standard zero offset, the tire will rub on the inner lip of the wheel well. If you have replaced the axle and / or wheels, this may not be a concern.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I haven't used any LED lights, but Tom is exactly right on the tire & wheel issue. Uhaul wheels are unique in the offset, and the bolt pattern is somewhat uncommon. From what I've read here, LED's are the way to go. Bob
Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
My VT came with 14' wheels and car tires, I still have access to the rims and tires and will see if I can get some info off the rim. I swapped them for 13" rims I ordered from U haul with new Trailer Tires from my Tire guy I have been dealing with for 30 years. LED lights are no problem, I Cut out a small rectangular piece of Thin oak plywood larger than the 4 mounting holes for the fluorescent lights finished the plywood with minwax seal and stain and mounted 2 large LEDs to each and screwed the plywood into the existing nylon inserts. Biggest issue is crimping the small wires from the LEDs together to make the circuit.
Can supply picts if you wish.
Michael J.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Newby CT-13, 84' U-Haul Owner
Wisconsin
Registry
Would love to see your pics Michael!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

Indiana
Registry
picts.

Here are a couple that I took this morning. I am in the process of tagging all the wires and creating a wiring diagram.

Michael J.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0163.jpg   IMG_0164.jpg  

IMG_0166.jpg   IMG_0167.jpg  

IMG_0168.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #7

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
My thanks to Tom, Bob, Michael, and Mike. I will order the new LED lites and really don't need tires yet, but I sure learned something about the angles-- that was a surprise. I do have the original UHaul axle, hubs (have an extra), and wheels, even the moon hub caps that say UHaul.
Has anyone heard from the guy that was going to make tail light lenses?
Thanks,
Patti
Old 03-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #8

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
..........Has anyone heard from the guy that was going to make tail light lenses?
Thanks,
Patti
He seems to be MIA. I did check into the process and if you don't want to get too fancy, you can probably do it yourself.

How to mold auto car parts - tail light
Old 03-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #9

Indiana
Registry
Pulled the old VT wheels out of storage today and they are 15" rims with car tires on them. P205-60-R15 probably to keep the over all diameter in line with the wheel well. PO was a mechanic and ran a garage for 30 years so he probably figured the option out. Rims rated at 1453 # at 35 psi.These came off a VT so I don't know if a CT has the same wheel well dimensions , likely not as they were made in different factories and the VT needs more room for the brakes. have included picts for your viewing pleasure and the inevitable prolonging of the discussion
Michael J.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0171.jpg   IMG_0172.jpg  

IMG_0174.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #10

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
........... and the inevitable prolonging of the discussion
Michael J.
These wheels appear to have a substantial offset - probably off a front wheel drive car??
Old 03-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
So Tom, when are you going to make tail light lenses and sell them? Seems to me that all red would be the best way to go. On the History Channel show "American Restoration", they made a lens for a motor scooter tail light, but I forget just how they did it. And in my opinion, some of their work should not be called a "restoration" as they change things from original sometimes and apparently without previously discussing it with the owner of the item. And would you want that dopey kid working on your stuff? OK enough of my rant on that, I do watch the show but just to see the cool old stuff. Bob
Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #12

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
So Tom, when are you going to make tail light lenses and sell them? Seems to me that all red would be the best way to go. ......... Bob
Too much like work...I'm a retired guy.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #13

Indiana
Registry
I agree with the front wheel drive comment, look a lot like K car rims except K cars only had 4 lugs.I suspect that if I decide to take the tire off the rim more info would be exposed on the inside such as mfg. and date but I "lost" all my tire tools years ago when tires actually had tubes in them. Don't miss that at all.
Michael J
Old 03-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #14

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
I agree with the front wheel drive comment, look a lot like K car rims except K cars only had 4 lugs.I suspect that if I decide to take the tire off the rim more info would be exposed on the inside such as mfg. and date but I "lost" all my tire tools years ago when tires actually had tubes in them. Don't miss that at all.
Michael J
Seems to be mostly GM:

Wheel Bolt Pattern Cross Reference Database and Conversion Guide: 5*X*4.75

Maybe Riviera 79 - 85

Tags
tires