LED Tail Light Princess Auto - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I believe that the ramp up time is negligible if it can even be measured since I was trying to see if I could even notice a delay in a #1156 or #1157 lamps from the time that power was applied till full intensity and there was no noticeable delay......I also think that making the wire used longer would also not be a factor.....you`d need some pretty fancy equipment to measure the delay times.....sure would be nice to have factual data with which to support the actual differences between the two lamp systems......I can see the idea of the lamps on logging trucks getting dirty under some conditions but once the lamps are opaque from the grime/road mud, there would be no difference whether the lamps were leds or incadescents..... Personally if I was concerned about the delay factor, I would be more concerned about the attentiveness of the driver and his age as reaction time nomally slows with age...I know mine did.....That is the real delay factor.......... I also don`t think that vibration is a factor in lamp life with my trailer and if it was I`d use lamps with supported filaments if they are available for #1157 lamps.....a good idea as was mentioned earlier is to update to the high mount brake light.......also if everyone of us went to the leds it would reduce the maintenance time needed on our trailers and heck we`d have less to do .........Benny

Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #16
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
In the USA the Department of Transportation limits the brightness a tail light can have. Purchase DOT approved LEDs and you will not have a problem.

The LED's last longer, pull less amps, can get wet and do not have the plethera of problems that cheep bulb assemblies have.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #17
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Ramp time
While I would have trouble measuring the time it takes for a typical incandescent automotive bulb to turn on to nearly full intensity from off, or to turn off, I can certainly see the difference looking at vehicles in traffic. In fact, with some incandescent assemblies now being designed with faceted reflectors so they look like they are composed of a number of small point light sources (to look like the more expensive LEDs) the best way to distinguish the design is by switching time. I find it more apparent on the going-off side than the coming-on side of the cycle: the LEDs just "snap" off while the bulbs take a perceptible time to dim.

The ramp time is really quite short, even in relation to response time. I would expect any improvement to come not from a reduction of the tiny fraction of a second taken to turn on, but from the greater chance that the very sudden transition will be noticed by the other driver.

Benny has a good point, that some bulbs are better than others at handling vibration. I have used both standard and "rough service" bulbs in my ordinary "trouble light" style of work light in the garage, which gets banged around and dropped. The rough service bulbs really do last much better, but they are costly and less efficient. Still, they eventually die, and an LED would last much better. Tail lights are just a permanently installed version of the same situation.

I think a significant problem with dirt, aside from obscuring the lens, is interfering with contacts. The advantage in dirt and water of the LED design is simply that the LEDs last so long that they are not made removable or replaceable; when they die the whole lamp is replaced. Non-removable means no contacts, which means no loss of contact, and thus reliability.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

led lights, light, lighting, tail lights