LED Tail Light Princess Auto - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-12-2006, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
Princess Auto now has a 7" round stop/turn/tail with 31 diodes about an inch or so thick and has a flange with 4 holes to attach with screws. They are usually $35 CDN and now $25 CDN. Anyone tried these - any reports?
If so are they really bright?
Reliable?
How do they work - when operating as stop do all 31 diodes light and when operating as tail fewer light? Or can LEDs burn bright and dim?
I'd like to replace my dim and unreliable original on my surfside, but don't want to go to the trouble and expense if these are not a good choice. I've noticed that some others have as much as twice as many diodes and I assume they must be brighter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
I put LED tail lights on my Miti-Lite last year. Each side has 30 lamps, half of which light for running lamp. All 30 are on for brake and turn. What a difference from stock lights. A LOT brighter and are guaranteed for 10,000 hours. I just bought new 7" 60 lamp LED's for my Scamp 5th wheel. $85 US including shipping. LED's are a lot more visible, day or night. I'm sold on them. I have two LED's inside trailer, not so sold on them. They are OK for background lighting but don't work very well for reading. Stock lights work better for that....as they say, your mileage may very, but that's my take on LED's.......Mike Bullard

Old 02-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
Man, Is everybody slow a catching on! I replaced my clearence lghts and tail lights with 60 diaode 7"Grote bus lights over 2 years ago and and reported it on here. They were really expensive when I got them and have really come down in price since. They are so bright when you hit the brake lights that they could potently blind the driver behind you!
After all the bulb and socket problems on numerous trailers of my own and ones of other people I have had to work on over the years they are the only way to go.
It took me longer to remove and disconnect the original lights that to install the new ones.
Go for it man, you will never regret it.
PS Don't bother trying to use LED's as reading lights etc. They are too directional, you are wasting you time. Bin der, don dat! Read the thread on LED's
Old 02-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I also installed LED stop/tail/markers on my Love Bug. The first time I pulled it at night my daughter followed me far a ways and she backed way off because the lights are BRIGHT. The ones that I put on are sold by Southwest Trailer for $54 a set plus $7 shipping. On these units, all of the diodes are on all of the time but get twice as bright when the brakes are applied. I also got really tired of trying to keep my dad's boat trailer lights burning so the boat trailer also got LED's. In my opinion, there is no other way to go.

I soldered every connection and used heat shink tubing to seal everything. Do not use crimped connections or Scotchlocks, they will corrode and quit working eventually.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #5

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I purchased my LED Tail lights at Tractor Supply (USA) and they all light up then light up brighter when I hit the brakes.

They are really bright. I also purchased the same thing for our utility trailer because the normal bulb type just go bad on a regular basis.

I also put front and back running side markers on the Egg. I put an extra one up front (Side marker) that blinks with the turn signal.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:46 PM   #6

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
I also put front and back running side markers on the Egg. [b]I put an extra one up front (Side marker) that blinks with the turn signal.
Could you post that mod in a separate thread? I have the same idea, and all I have done so far is to purchase the extra set of light fixtures.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Why are so many folks on this site interested in getting the brightest possible tail lights and brake lights?....has there been a rash of eggs getting rear ended on the highways? I`m led tobelieve that there are people out there that would get quite upset with a couple of blinding tail lights and brake lights on the vehicle ahead of them on a pitch black highwayseems that the existing lamps on our trailers have served their purpose well for the last 30 years or so.......the last thing I want is to have an irate driver behind me tailing me and smashing my tail lights with a tire iron the first time I stop or even worse!....of course, usually by nightfall, I`m in a campsite and lighting the campfire.....I`m comparing the LED lights with 30+ bulbs to the aftermarket blue head lamp bulbs on the young folks cars these days ...especially after they crank up the aim a few turns and blind you on the 2 lane hwys. because they are on low beams already......maybe I`m just getting cranky in my old age, LOL....Benny
Old 02-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #8
Con

British Columbia
Ahh Benny, I think you might be missing the point just a little. There are a couple of avantages of LED's. Up here we will see 100's of logging trucks on the highway 24 hours a day hauling beetle killed trees. They are usually carrying 34 tons of logs plus the weight of the the rig, 60 tons plus. Almost all of them are running LED lights. With the mud and sanding of the roads the normal lights can hardly be seen in the day light but the LED's show up even when they have dirt on them. When they hit the brakes I sure want to see them!
The second big advantage is that being sealed units in epoxy there is nothing to corrode and stop them from working. BTW The Grotes are guareented for 100,000 hours. Try and get that kind of service out of a filiment bulb.
I do take your comment in the vain it was intended.
Have a nice day
Old 02-12-2006, 08:04 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
While there have been some references to the big LED tail lights as "blinding", I'm taking that as exaggeration for effect. I would not expect a regular production tail light to be much different from the brightness of the stock tail lights on cars and trucks, since they are all meeting the same standards.

The stock lights on my Boler (the "wedding cake" lens style, Reflect-O-Lite No-150, mounted upside down) are so fundamentally bad (who uses a flat reflector?!) that decent modern lights would be a shocking improvement. Having said that, with some diligent cleaning the old lights are workable for now.

If my current lights didn't work and could not be readily fixed, I would certainly consider the 7" Princess Auto LED units, although it would mean new mounting holes, as my current Reflect-O-Lites mount with three screws, not four.

Even if some of the LEDs are only on for brake/turn (like Mike's) I believe that they should be brighter than the running (tail) section so that the intention of the signal is clear.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #10

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
Aside from the advantages mentioned, I have two other reasons to eventually change to LED stop/turn/marker lights. Less current draw (not a critical concern, actually) but more important : extremely short ramp-up time to full brightness. I think it may get your attention better as opposed to the lazy ramp-up of incandescents. What would happen if the stop lights took a full second to reach full intensity? They may be ignored or overlooked.

My trailer's lights are ample sized physically but nothing to write home about in intensity. I sometimes wonder if they are enough to alert the driver following or give him the necessary sense of urgency when I brake. Therefore I also plan to add a third high-mounted brakelight if I can find an appropriate unit.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Con

British Columbia
Per, I have seen an LED Eyebrow surface mount strip light about 12" long on I think it was a Dodge or Ford van. It would mount nicley above the rear window and I think the casing would need very little modification to fit the curve. I just haven't got around to getting to the autwreckers to find one.The biggest problem would to hide the wires.
At some point in time I seem to recall seeing some self adhesive low voltage wiring looms for surface mounting wiring. Very neat and tidy in apearence. Darned if I can find anyone that has it. Has anyone else seen such a product?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #12

Name: Yves
Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Quebec
Quote:
Ahh Benny, I think you might be missing the point just a little. There are a couple of avantages of LED's. Up here we will see 100's of logging trucks on the highway 24 hours a day hauling beetle killed trees. They are usually carrying 34 tons of logs plus the weight of the the rig, 60 tons plus. Almost all of them are running LED lights. With the mud and sanding of the roads the normal lights can hardly be seen in the day light but the LED's show up even when they have dirt on them. When they hit the brakes I sure want to see them!
The second big advantage is that being sealed units in epoxy there is nothing to corrode and stop them from working. BTW The Grotes are guareented for 100,000 hours. Try and get that kind of service out of a filiment bulb.
I do take your comment in the vain it was intended.
Have a nice day
The main reason why the logging trucks use LED lights these days, is because LED's are more resistant than the fragile tungsten filament bulbs are, on todays rough roads.... Vibration kills tungsten filament bulbs.......

Yves.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
Con

British Columbia
Yes! You are absolutely right. That was another plus I forgot to mention.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #14

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I think the "third high-mounted brakelight" (which is formally called a Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp or CHMSL) is a great idea, particularly for vehicles which use the same lamp for running light and stop light (the lamp just getting brighter is easy to miss).

Unfortunately for those of us with traditional stop/turn combined lights, there is typically no separate brake/stop light signal available to the trailer: that's what the yellow-wired auxiliary wire in the 7-pole RV connector is for, and Boler even ran the yellow wire to the back for me (it was part of the standard wiring, and is not attached to anything at the back), but there's no source of signal for it. Even though my Toyota van has separate turn signals and brake light, the trailer isolator module converts to the old four-wire combined system. I'm not up for hacking a tap and relay into the van wiring for this purpose just yet.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights, light, lighting, tail lights