LEDS lights from Princess Auto - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
so a rectifier means they'll work without reversing the wires on the trailer? I think I'll try to to flip the porch light wire this time and look for the proper bulbs for the interior fixtures
Yes, with the rectifying electronics, most often 4 diodes, any LED will work with AC which is alternating (+ > - and - > +) current or any polarity in DC mode. A rectifier takes any polarity power source and provides appropriate polarity to the actual LED device. See the picture I copied from the web.

Attached Thumbnails

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
I got two 1156 LED bulbs and neither work... I was thinking I might have a power issue but I thought I should ask here to see if anyone has run accross the same problem? tried 2 different lights and no luck.
I just put LEDs in my exterior side running lights in the existing sockets this past weekend. Two of the four sockets were wired backwards and I had to change them by cutting the wires inside the trailer and reversing them. It was much easier to do it that way than to try to change the actual sockets, which were riveted on to the trailer. The direction of current flow doesn't matter for incandescents, but it does for an LED. An LED is a diode, which only allows current to pass in one direction. It just happens to give off light, which makes it useful as lighting.

I also got some LED lights for my interior lighting as detailed on another thread, which I installed last week. I installed 15 LEDs in 5 fixtures, to give the about same amount of brightness as the 5 incandescent they replaced. Most were a cylindrical 26-LED design that had to be wired correctly. However, 2 were a flat circle of 24 LEDs that worked no matter which way the wires were set. When I looked, I could see a tiny diode bridge like was described in the posts above, which meant that current flowed either way. A great idea.

As an aside, I got warm white LEDs on eBay, and the 15 lights use less current than one of the 1141-type incandescent they replace. I was very pleased with the final result. I took some pictures but have not posted them yet because I was working on raising the fridge this past weekend. Still lots to do.

Rick G.

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
I just installed two LED bulbs in the 12v fixtures in my Scamp. I originally bought them on sale as running/brake light bulbs for the trailer... but they were not as bright as the incandescent bulbs, so I decided to try them inside. Neither of them worked... but I knew the LEDs worked in the tail light fixtures, so I knew that the interior fixtures were wired wrong. Flipped the wiring and they work great now! Not quite as bright as the originals, but a lot less strain on the jump pack that I use as a house battery. I will keep an eye out for brighter ones.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
Name: Rob
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
Nova Scotia
FYI, I have just recently found the "Revolution 200" from Starlights Inc. to be MUCH BRIGHTER than any other LED light I have been able to find. They work excellent as replacement bulbs in the RV overhead dome lights because they point ALL the light down when installed sideways in a ceiling light!
I found reading specifications of LED lights pays off, because many manufactuers don't specify the Lumens (brightness measurement) of their LED bulbs - just marketing words like SUPER bright, Ultra Bright, etc.
I see StarLights now offers a 300Lumen version. I have used the 200L and 150L.
Revolution 200 LED - Star Lights, Inc.

I don't think they sell directly to the public, but several local RV dealers seem to carry them. (Pricey).
Rob vanNostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
LED should lite up on AC current that is transformed down to the LED working voltage because the LED is a diode and it will work on 1/2 of the cycle of the alternating current.

It will work on both AC cycles if the AC is run through a full bridge rectifier.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Most all the lights in these trailers are 12v dc

Bill K

Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post
LED should lite up on AC current that is transformed down to the LED working voltage because the LED is a diode and it will work on 1/2 of the cycle of the alternating current.

It will work on both AC cycles if the AC is run through a full bridge rectifier.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #21
Name: Art
Trailer: Helite
Bill, The bridge rectifier changes AC to DC so I don't know if it will work as DC to DC reguardless how you plug the politary sensitive LED into the socket.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #22
Name: Randy
Trailer: (3)Trillium 4500,(4)Trillium 1300
Ardmore, Alabama
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
The ones I bought from superbright must have the electronics to make sure they don't need to be flipped, otherwise the light would have to bounce off the back of the fixture. They worked fine when inserted the proper way.

Can you tell me how much these cost and where you got them..I changed out mine to LED's but they shine out the end and therefore give out very little light, I like the way these work should give off lots of light the way they are made.......

Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote