LEDS lights from Princess Auto - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
LEDS lights from Princess Auto

I got two 1156 LED bulbs and neither work... I was thinking I might have a power issue but I thought I should ask here to see if anyone has run accross the same problem? tried 2 different lights and no luck.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Did you flip the wires? The LEDS will only work one way.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Did you flip the wires? The LEDS will only work one way.

really? I didn't know that!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #4

Indiana
Well that's what I hear.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #5

Name: Nick
Trailer: A-liner, Cabin-A
Georgia
It is true- LED's work with the wires only 1 way. I test mine with a 9volt battery to make sure I know which one is positive.
Nicole Angell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
learned something new today.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
learned something new today.
Joe
You can learn something new everyday.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
You can learn something new everyday.
Greg......
That's so true..... an old timer (when i was about 17 years old) told me the same as you and i definitely try to learn something new everyday.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Not all LED bulbs have to be properly (+ to + and - to -) connected to DC voltage source. Some will work on AC or any DC polarity. Most automotive bulbs with BA15S base, such as 1157 will only work with + connected to the center electrode, most of these light sockets are wired with ground (-) being connected to the metal shroud. For example G4 style bulbs will work on AC or DC G4 Tower LED Lamps Specifications
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I installed a half dozen wedge-base LEDs in my trailer a few days ago, and it was necessary to trial-and-error them. Half the time I had to pull them back out of the socket and flip them the other way, then they worked fine. Light output seems to be about half or two thirds of the incans, but that's enough. I can always turn an extra LED on and still be using far less current.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #11

LED bulb capable of using 12 VAC or being independent to DC polarity has to have built in rectifier such as Wheatstone bridge or equivalent. It is very likely that simple wedge bulb will have direct connection to LED and it will be polarity sensitive. If you see an electronic circuit in the bulb it will likely have a necessary rectifier built in.
George.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
The ones I bought from superbright must have the electronics to make sure they don't need to be flipped, otherwise the light would have to bounce off the back of the fixture. They worked fine when inserted the proper way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1949c.jpg   IMGP1950c.jpg  

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
The ones I bought from superbright must have the electronics to make sure they don't need to be flipped, otherwise the light would have to bounce off the back of the fixture. They worked fine when inserted the proper way.
Yes, they have rectifying Wheatstone bridge formed by D1, D2, D3 and D4.
George.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #14

Registry
so a rectifier means they'll work without reversing the wires on the trailer? I think I'll try to to flip the porch light wire this time and look for the proper bulbs for the interior fixtures
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
so a rectifier means they'll work without reversing the wires on the trailer? I think I'll try to to flip the porch light wire this time and look for the proper bulbs for the interior fixtures
Yes, with the rectifying electronics, most often 4 diodes, any LED will work with AC which is alternating (+ > - and - > +) current or any polarity in DC mode. A rectifier takes any polarity power source and provides appropriate polarity to the actual LED device. See the picture I copied from the web.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
Bridge.jpg  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
I got two 1156 LED bulbs and neither work... I was thinking I might have a power issue but I thought I should ask here to see if anyone has run accross the same problem? tried 2 different lights and no luck.
I just put LEDs in my exterior side running lights in the existing sockets this past weekend. Two of the four sockets were wired backwards and I had to change them by cutting the wires inside the trailer and reversing them. It was much easier to do it that way than to try to change the actual sockets, which were riveted on to the trailer. The direction of current flow doesn't matter for incandescents, but it does for an LED. An LED is a diode, which only allows current to pass in one direction. It just happens to give off light, which makes it useful as lighting.

I also got some LED lights for my interior lighting as detailed on another thread, which I installed last week. I installed 15 LEDs in 5 fixtures, to give the about same amount of brightness as the 5 incandescent they replaced. Most were a cylindrical 26-LED design that had to be wired correctly. However, 2 were a flat circle of 24 LEDs that worked no matter which way the wires were set. When I looked, I could see a tiny diode bridge like was described in the posts above, which meant that current flowed either way. A great idea.

As an aside, I got warm white LEDs on eBay, and the 15 lights use less current than one of the 1141-type incandescent they replace. I was very pleased with the final result. I took some pictures but have not posted them yet because I was working on raising the fridge this past weekend. Still lots to do.

Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #17

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I just installed two LED bulbs in the 12v fixtures in my Scamp. I originally bought them on sale as running/brake light bulbs for the trailer... but they were not as bright as the incandescent bulbs, so I decided to try them inside. Neither of them worked... but I knew the LEDs worked in the tail light fixtures, so I knew that the interior fixtures were wired wrong. Flipped the wiring and they work great now! Not quite as bright as the originals, but a lot less strain on the jump pack that I use as a house battery. I will keep an eye out for brighter ones.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #18

Trailer: Triple E Surfside
Registry
FYI, I have just recently found the "Revolution 200" from Starlights Inc. to be MUCH BRIGHTER than any other LED light I have been able to find. They work excellent as replacement bulbs in the RV overhead dome lights because they point ALL the light down when installed sideways in a ceiling light!
I found reading specifications of LED lights pays off, because many manufactuers don't specify the Lumens (brightness measurement) of their LED bulbs - just marketing words like SUPER bright, Ultra Bright, etc.
I see StarLights now offers a 300Lumen version. I have used the 200L and 150L.
Revolution 200 LED - Star Lights, Inc.

I don't think they sell directly to the public, but several local RV dealers seem to carry them. (Pricey).
Rob vanNostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #19

Trailer: Helite
LED should lite up on AC current that is transformed down to the LED working voltage because the LED is a diode and it will work on 1/2 of the cycle of the alternating current.

It will work on both AC cycles if the AC is run through a full bridge rectifier.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Most all the lights in these trailers are 12v dc

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post
LED should lite up on AC current that is transformed down to the LED working voltage because the LED is a diode and it will work on 1/2 of the cycle of the alternating current.

It will work on both AC cycles if the AC is run through a full bridge rectifier.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights