Left signal problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Hi there.
I was going to move my trailer and while doing the light check before getting on the road there was a problem with the left turn signal. It would not turn on as if there was no voltage getting to the light.

Initially the rear left light would not even turn on with the tow vehicle light. I cleaned up the plug connection on both sides and the light would now turn on. However the left turn signal still would not work. I did swap light bulbs and still no left turn signal.

I used a meter and determined there was voltage going all the way back to the light. I could see that there was variable volts (0-6) going to the connection at the back of the trailer. I checked the other side and the volts ranged from 0-9.

I am not sure how to proceed from here. I checked the bulb with a lower voltage and it lights up at 4.8v.

To summarize I can get up to 6 volts at the back of the RV connection for the turn signal. I even depressed the connection just like the bulb would and I still get up to 6 volts. I am puzzled?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fred....
Old 07-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #2

I just saw Cam A posting and think I have the same problems. Ignore this post on the topic and I'll read the other replies.

Quote:
Hi there.
I was going to move my trailer and while doing the light check before getting on the road there was a problem with the left turn signal. It would not turn on as if there was no voltage getting to the light.

Initially the rear left light would not even turn on with the tow vehicle light. I cleaned up the plug connection on both sides and the light would now turn on. However the left turn signal still would not work. I did swap light bulbs and still no left turn signal.

I used a meter and determined there was voltage going all the way back to the light. I could see that there was variable volts (0-6) going to the connection at the back of the trailer. I checked the other side and the volts ranged from 0-9.

I am not sure how to proceed from here. I checked the bulb with a lower voltage and it lights up at 4.8v.

To summarize I can get up to 6 volts at the back of the RV connection for the turn signal. I even depressed the connection just like the bulb would and I still get up to 6 volts. I am puzzled?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Fred....
Old 07-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check to insure you have a solid ground on the light.

Install a solid ground from bare metal on the light to bare metal on the frame.

Be sure that your white wire from the plug is connected to bare metal on the frema. It must be because the right light is working however while you are at it, just make sure it is a solid ground.

Same applies to the tug. Make sure the white wire goes to a solid (bare metal) point on the tug frame.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #4

I believe I found the problem with my left signal light. I discovered that the pin for the left signal light on the 4 pin connector prior to the 7 pin connector was almost corroded off. It was hanging by a tiny bit of metal. I think that under load the voltage was not getting through. I will change out the connector in the next few days and see if this is the problem. That might explain the fact that only the left signal light was not working but the running light would work. They both shared the same ground plate.

cheers
Fred...
Old 07-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #5

A friend of mine had the same problem with a utility trailer and he installed LED tail lights and they worked fine. He figured the wiring was so bad it could not pass the current to light the bulb but lit the LED because it pulls less current.

I know you need to fix the wiring however changing over to LED would certainly be a major plus in the long run.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #6

Problem solved. It was not a grounding problem but a corroded pin on the male 4 pin connector. Not sure that I wanted to mask the problem by installed LEDs but I do plan to install LED tail and running lights at a later time.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #7

Dielectric grease prevents corrosion. You swab it on your connections and you swab it on the light bulb and the receptacle it goes in and when you install the bulb or make the crimp or connection, a connection will be made and the grease will keep the elements away from the connections that would corrode.

Dielectric grease looks like petroleum jelly only it is clearer and not as thick and it does not conduct electricity.

When you purchase one of those 4 or 5 pin flat trailer wiring harnesses, a very small tube of the stuff comes with it along with instructions on what to do with it.

You should be able to purchase a regular size tube of the stuff at an auto supply (Advance Auto) or at Crapshack.