Leg of fold-down table - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #1

Name: Dena
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13 basic
Indiana
Leg of fold-down table

I have been able to fold this table leg down twic in the last two weeks, but I cannot do it consistently and without frustration. Argh! At the point I’m considering purchasing new hardware and a kickstand of sorts. I have overuse injuries and moderate arthritis. Supporting the table leg on my thigh, I almost contracted the springs enough, but then the strength in my two hands gives before I can manage to engage them fully, which would allow me to use my leg to lower the leg. Doing it wrong? Any suggestions?
Dena_gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Could you post a couple of pictures for us non Scampers? I replaced the folding leg on my Campster, but I don't know enough about your Scamp to tell if my replacement part might work.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Here's a FGRV thread that might be of a help to you. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ugh-32681.html If you search "Scamp table" in the Search tab above in the "Google Search" section at the bottom of the drop down menu, you'll find lots of other suggestions.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I had the same problem. A little oil on the part that moves does wonders.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #5

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I second the suggestion of a little oil or a spritz of WD40. Back in the day a lot of Chevy pickup trucks had a problem with the hoods buckling went they went to close the hood. The hinge got so dry it would start to rust. An occasional squirt of oil on the hinges once and awhile would have prevented it.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #6

Name: John
Michigan
I thought it was strange, but I don't remember ever seeing anything in writing that told how to work that mechanism in my Scamp. I had to figure it out on my own. There must be a way to make that device that would be easier to operate.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I thought it was strange, but I don't remember ever seeing anything in writing that told how to work that mechanism in my Scamp. I had to figure it out on my own. There must be a way to make that device that would be easier to operate.
I find the leg on dinette table to work work quite easily after I put a little petroleum jelly on it.

There's been discussion on this issue before, most if not all the time a little lubrication has fixed the problem. You don't want to put too much on, but just enough to make it work without much effort. I lubricated mine about 10 years ago and haven't touched it since. We camp over 100 nights a year and the table goes up and down every day.

A good rule to remember anytime 2 pieces of metal rub together lubrication is needed.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
We camp over 100 nights a year and the table goes up and down every day.

Which may be part of the solution.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd be curious if there are any alternative solutions. I am able to work the OEM table leg, but I can see that for a person with diminished hand dexterity, it would be an issue. It takes me two hands to manipulate the latch (carefully avoiding sharp edges and pinch points) and a third hand (or a knee) to prop up the table.

The design just seems rudimentary and cheaply made. It's the same hardware my family had in our tent trailer 40 years ago, and unlike a good wine, hasn't improved with age.

If there's a better folding leg design out there, and it's not super expensive, I'd love to hear about it, too.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'd be curious if there are any alternative solutions. I am able to work the OEM table leg, but I can see that for a person with diminished hand dexterity, it would be an issue. It takes me two hands to manipulate the latch (carefully avoiding sharp edges and pinch points) and a third hand (or a knee) to prop up the table.

The design just seems rudimentary and cheaply made. It's the same hardware my family had in our tent trailer 40 years ago, and unlike a good wine, hasn't improved with age.

If there's a better folding leg design out there, and it's not super expensive, I'd love to hear about it, too.

With a bit of lubrication I put up or down with one hand. To put the leg down it's simply pull the leg down. To put it up release the latch and push it up. One hand to work the leg in either direction the other to hold the table. My gripe with it is that it is NOT properly lubricated from the factory.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
That table arrangement sucks all the time. The table leg is a pain in the tail but even worse is lifting and swinging that heavy awkward hernia inducing table down and its just as bad putting it back up. I had the same BS when I had my tent trailer. Now the table in my 13 Scamp stays down permanently. Its a bed now. For the 2 of us we use the front table cut from the front gaucho. It can be a bed or a small table for two changed very easily.

Almost all of our meals are on the outdoor table anyways.

a larger family in the small trailer and you may need and want the bigger table but for just the 2 of us it just isn't worth the trouble.

If I were to keep the table used as a table, then I would change out the top and make one out of red wood or use honeycomb board to cut the weight down to a manageable level.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
A better solution

Dena,

You can go to any RV dealer and they can order either an adjustable ($20) or a non-adjustable($21) Folding Table Leg for you. It has a longer, flat lever on the side that you just press in and then fold the leg. It is made by AP Products. They are in all the RV catalogs. Measure the length of your existing leg and then go to a dealer to get a better replacement.

I put one of these on both my dinette table in the front of my Scamp, as well as for the outdoor grid shelf for the Coleman stove. They are very easy to take down, just press and bend.

Life is too short to put up with poorly engineered folding junk.

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #13

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Dena,

You can go to any RV dealer and they can order either an adjustable ($20) or a non-adjustable($21) Folding Table Leg for you. It has a longer, flat lever on the side that you just press in and then fold the leg. It is made by AP Products. They are in all the RV catalogs. Measure the length of your existing leg and then go to a dealer to get a better replacement.

I put one of these on both my dinette table in the front of my Scamp, as well as for the outdoor grid shelf for the Coleman stove. They are very easy to take down, just press and bend.

Life is too short to put up with poorly engineered folding junk.

Jim
Have had problems logging in. Wish I wouldn’t have tried it again before greasing (hub installing window a/c… double ugh!) A little too aggressive with the leg and pulled the screws out, warping the underside. Doh! Fortunately hub is handy. Thank you very much for the info.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #14

Indiana
Sorry have had troubles with password. Here is the photo
Old 05-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #15

Indiana
Here’s the photo
Attached Thumbnails
970A350D-6D58-4340-B18F-88AC72BD41A1.jpg  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #16

Name: Jeanette
Trailer: Trailswest Campster
California
I just ordered the Lagun table mount, it will be nice not to have the leg in middle of the floor in the Campster. More open floor space for our large breed dog.
Jeanette P. is offline   Reply With Quote