Length of Rivets?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
In addition to the acron and rivets you will need the round plastic holders that the caps snap onto on the outside of the trailer. Drill out the old rivet making sure you use a small drill bit so as not to make the hole in the figerglass any bigger. Put the new rivet through the plastic cap holder and then insert the rivet with the cap holder attached to it into the hole in the trailer from the outside and have someone inside the trailer hold the acorn nut over the end of the rivet. Do a test fit before pulling the trigger on the rivet gun. The rivet should be just long enough that the end of the rivet on the inside of the trailer goes into the acorn nut - if it is too long the acron nut will not be snug against the inside of the trailer. Hold the acorn nut firmly on the inside of the trailer with the rivet going into it when you pull the trigger on the rivet gun. When you pull the trigger the rivet expands on the end of the rivet inside the acorn nut and thats what holds it all in place. Some people put a very small dap of marine silcone on the bottom of the plastic cap holders (on the side that is going up against the outside of the trailer) before inserting the rivet into the hole.

Once you have done one it will seem pretty easy.
Steve L. even drew a cross-section diagram in post #17 of this rivet discussion.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #16
Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
Ken Hanson - do you know what size the caps and washers are that you bought from Ace, in the event that I didn't order right, and have to get them locally?
The bin contents at Ace were a little mixed up so I can't say which label went with each size. I happened to have some snap caps from Scamp and brought one along to match them up. The scamp site says the large washers are 9/16" outer diameter and the caps are 5/8".

kdhanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
I went to home depot (and lowes) today and found that they don't sell rivets by 6-8 or 6-10 designations. They are 1/2", 1/4" etc, with nothing longer than 1/2". Of course, the sales guy couldn't tell me how to translate those sizes, but I did find an explanation on someone's ebay site. I also noticed that the part numbers on the box refers to the rivets by those numbers (even though the sales guy said they didn't.

Where else would sell the longer rivet lengths I need? I did buy a box of the 6-8's, and we have a box of the 6-10s (part of the rivet gun gift). But neither of the two stores sell longer than 6-10s.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
lhttp://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=0&Ntk=Search+All&Ntt=pop+rivet&Ntx=m ode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&searchBox=1

Darwin Maring is online now   Reply With Quote