Leveling a 13? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #29

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Picking it up with one hand and stacking take-along solid concrete blocks under the bumper with the other could be worse???
You gonna make a video demonstrating that??

Old 05-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #30

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well,,, being cheap by nature. i carry a couple 12" chunks of 1x6, a couple 2x6, and a couple 4x4.
even if the ground is pretty level, it helps to put them down under your levelers if your in sand or its raining and muddy.
if its not very level, you can put a 2x,or a 1x, or a combination of them to get you pretty close on the low side and just pull your wheel up on them befor you disconect.
oh,,,don't forget to use wheelchoks , you don't want it rolling off the blocks at night when you roll over in bed.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #31

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
oh yes,,and a little forthought as you set up....if your clearly needing a couple extra inches on one side,,,and lets face it,,, how many of us don't have that problem? simply crank the tongue down and set one leveler that amount more then the other side. then when you crank up the tongue it should already be pretty close.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #32

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
oh yes,,and a little forthought as you set up....if your clearly needing a couple extra inches on one side,,,and lets face it,,, how many of us don't have that problem? simply crank the tongue down and set one leveler that amount more then the other side. then when you crank up the tongue it should already be pretty close.

This method is recommended if you like straighten a twisted frame. Which if you use it often enough with a straight frame you might need it to straighten it back.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #33

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Please don't use the frame to level the trailer. Trailers are leveled side to side at the wheels and front to back at the tongue.

You've been warned.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #34

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Please don't use the frame to level the trailer. Trailers are leveled side to side at the wheels and front to back at the tongue.

You've been warned.....
And I've got the twisted frame to prove that you should not use the Stabilizers to Level with.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #35

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Getting back to the stabilizer pattern found on the Scamp, near as I can tell it is the same mechanism found on our Burro. The "jacking" of the stabilizer leg was only revealed to me by the video instruction. Once I found the 1/2" mild steel bar which I knew had accompanied our "pre-owned" trailer, I attempted to use it as a lever and found that I needed to grind a slight champfer on the end to get it to enter outer and inner holes in the stabilizer leg. I am nothing if not a double-ender type guy, so I ground it on both ends. Reacting to Brian's observation about frame twisting, I did a couple of "tests" a few minutes ago. My bar is exactly 1' long. I found that I could insert it and jack the stabilizer into tight contact with the driveway. The distance moved looked to be about 3/8 to 1/2". I could also insert the bar in the next higher hole BUT I could not get enuf leverage to jack it a second time. I do not know that this jack handle was provided with the stabilizers but if it was, I would surmise that the short length was chosen to allow taking up the slack but not repeated jacking resulting in the mechanism taking the wgt. of the trailer. I have never tried using the tongue jack to throw the wgt. on the stabilizers except once by mistake (getting the coupler to hitch elevation). I could feel the resistance in the crank and stopped. Now that Floyd has introduced me to the "approved method" I'm going to use it (but not with 3' of drill rod).

jack
Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #36

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I went back to see who's rapping whose knuckles with a ruler and right there in the middle of the blind men and the elephant was Joy A.'s post in which she says her chunkametal is short enuf to not be in the way. I have pinned this comment to my evidence board under "anecdotal." Anyone know for sure what length handle was provided with the stabilizer used by Scamp?

jack