Leveling a Tandem Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Leveling a Tandem Trailer

I didn't want to hijack the previous thread on "Leveling a 13".

But ... I am intrigued by the BAL Leveler BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler - BAL 28050 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World

Question: How could this be used on a Tandem Trailer? (I have a Bigfoot 19')

I am not very good on backing onto lego levelers. And I have experienced problems when dry camping alone at some rustic sites. It's a real pain to check out the refrigerator, move the car, set more blocks, back up, then do it all over again if things still aren't level.

Any ideas on how one could safely employ 2 of these at the same time?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
The package for the BAL Leveler has a disclaimer printed on it that it is not for use on tandem axle trailers. I purchased a used one from a Bigfoot 17' owner who was selling because it was too difficult and he felt his single axle trailer was too heavy for them.

I also have trouble backing onto my "yellow bricks" so I back the Fiber Stream all the way to the end of the spot and place the bricks in front of the tires and drive forward onto them.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I also have trouble backing onto my "yellow bricks" so I back the Fiber Stream all the way to the end of the spot and place the bricks in front of the tires and drive forward onto them.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It can be done but I'd be cautious about the weight limit and the fact both should be raised at the same time to prevent any frame stress. Also if your wheels are closer there may not be enough space.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7071.JPG  
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Actually, I did conclude that I should put the blocks infront of the wheels and move forward. But either direction, you still have to "hit" the blocks! And you still have to run back and forth checking the leveler ... adding more blocks and trying to move forward onto the new block pile. UGG!

The BAL seems so much ... easier -- except you do have to raise them at the same time! (thanks cpharley).

Why can't they invent a duel BAL system?

Seriously, any ideas out there?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Actually, I did conclude that I should put the blocks infront of the wheels and move forward. But it still is a pain when you are alone as it possible to move too far forward, and you still have to run around checking the leveler, adding more blocks and trying to move forward just the right amount. UGG!

The BAL seems so much ... easier -- except you do have to raise them at the same time! (thanks cpharley).

Why can't the invent a duel BAL?

Seriously, any ideas out there?

Probably the reason there isn't such a thing for tandum axles the distance between the axles varies too much.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
The BAL seems so much ... easier -- except you do have to raise them at the same time!
That should not be too hard. I don't see why you could not jump from one bal to the other after a couple of complete turns. Or use a single bal, raising each tire one block at a time.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Get a bubble level that has marks on it so that you can tell how far off level you are. Then drive onto your choice of blocks to raise on site. Note for each thickness or additional block how far the bubble moves. That'll help with how leveling is needed.
Now the trick to get on the blocks. A stick or piece of rope will do the trick. Once the blocks are placed in front of or behind the wheels. Use the stick or rope to measure how far the first wheel has to move to be in the right place. Cut stick or rope to that length. Now lay the measuring item on the ground beside the drivers door, with one end referenced to some feature visible from the drivers seat. Move the vehicle until the other end is at the reference point. Bingo, all done.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I use a remote controlled leveling device - it works like this:

I back into spot.
Wife goes into trailer with one half of a pair of walkie-talkies
Wife uses level inside fridge, instructs me on what needs to be done.
If we are not "on the bubble", I take 5 foot long boards outta back of pickup and move trailer ahead, place boards on ground, back onto them
She reports on results
I move trailer and add/subtract boards, , back trailer onto boards (again)
When she sez "OK", I can then proceed with blocks/chocks and unhitch.
Use tongue jack to set fore & aft level, again being remote controlled by wife
THEN set corner stabilizers

You mean there is another way to do it?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
I use 2 of the BAL levelers on my 19' Escape. They work extremely well. I left the wooden blocks at home a few years ago when I purchased one BAL leveler for our 17' Escape. When we got our 19' in March I bought one more. There is no way I would go back to blocks!!!
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #11

Okay, I love my BAL leveler and it like my AMEX card, I don't leave home without it Used it this past weekend at Maryhill... the Frig appreciated it.

But, there are different methods folks use to accomplish the same thing... in this case leveling a trailer. Some use lego blocks, others wood. If you're a newbie that wants to use wood... consider this:

Get yourself a notebook (small spiral kind) and bubble levels that are placed in strategic places on your trailer when it's perfectly level.

NOW, when you first pull into a campground and see you're a full bubble off from level and you use X number of pieces of wood to level it up... WRITE that down. The next time you're a full bubble off, you'll know exactly what you need to do. No moving back and forth, switching out wood to get level. Continue the documentation when you're a half-bubble off, etc. Before too many camp trips you'll know precisely what you need to do.

That's my 2-1/2 cents... but personally the only wood I carry is what I burn in the NOG pit Love that BAL!!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Okay, I love my BAL leveler and it like my AMEX card, I don't leave home without it Used it this past weekend at Maryhill... the Frig appreciated it.

But, there are different methods folks use to accomplish the same thing... in this case leveling a trailer. Some use lego blocks, others wood. If you're a newbie that wants to use wood... consider this:

Get yourself a notebook (small spiral kind) and bubble levels that are placed in strategic places on your trailer when it's perfectly level.

NOW, when you first pull into a campground and see you're a full bubble off from level and you use X number of pieces of wood to level it up... WRITE that down. The next time you're a full bubble off, you'll know exactly what you need to do. No moving back and forth, switching out wood to get level. Continue the documentation when you're a half-bubble off, etc. Before too many camp trips you'll know precisely what you need to do.

That's my 2-1/2 cents... but personally the only wood I carry is what I burn in the NOG pit Love that BAL!!
You forgot the part where I document everything and then either lose the notebook or leave it at home when I set out.

(Are you saying that I'm about a half a bubble outta plumb? )
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Get a bubble level that has marks on it so that you can tell how far off level you are. Then drive onto your choice of blocks to raise on site. Note for each thickness or additional block how far the bubble moves. That'll help with how leveling is needed.
I have these RV Levels, Set of 2. Each mark is 1", which is also the height of my yellow bricks. I only have to be within "half-a-bubble" to be level enough. For example if the center of the bubble is below the mark for 2, that means I put down 2 layers of interlocked bricks, 5 long on the bottom and 4 long on the top. I know that the distance from axle-hub-center to axle-hub-center is 3' on my Fiber Stream, so I know that when my front axle tire is centered on the 1st brick my rear axle tire is centered on the 4th brick.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #14

Name: Sue Z Q
Trailer: Casita
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Paul View Post
I use 2 of the BAL levelers on my 19' Escape. They work extremely well. I left the wooden blocks at home a few years ago when I purchased one BAL leveler for our 17' Escape. When we got our 19' in March I bought one more. There is no way I would go back to blocks!!!
Hi,
We thought about doing this. As we ordered an Escape 21' should be ready by end of May 2018. Is there enough space between the tires with 15 inch tires?? We used a BAL with our Casita and LOVED it. We sold it with the Casita, however, we would like to try two with our 21' escape. The 19' and 21' look to have the same axle spacing. If you are doing this with a 19' we are hoping this will also work with a 21??? Any thoughts on this???
Thanks, Sue-z-q
SueZqsZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueZqsZoo View Post
Hi,
We thought about doing this. As we ordered an Escape 21' should be ready by end of May 2018. Is there enough space between the tires with 15 inch tires?? We used a BAL with our Casita and LOVED it. We sold it with the Casita, however, we would like to try two with our 21' escape. The 19' and 21' look to have the same axle spacing. If you are doing this with a 19' we are hoping this will also work with a 21??? Any thoughts on this???
Thanks, Sue-z-q
Laura, NW Cat Owner, on the EscapeForum has a 21' and the BAL levelers didn't work for her trailer. She ended up buying the KoJack brand and is thrilled: Kojack| Support |Purple Line

If you want to read her thread: KoJack levelers are working! - Escape Trailer Owners Community

That said, I now have two BAL Levelers and they work fine on my 5.0TA.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #16

Name: Sue Z Q
Trailer: Casita
Ohio
Quote:
Laura, NW Cat Owner, on the EscapeForum has a 21' and the BAL levelers didn't work for her trailer. She ended up buying the KoJack brand and is thrilled: Kojack| Support |Purple Line

If you want to read her thread: KoJack levelers are working! - Escape Trailer Owners Community

That said, I now have two BAL Levelers and they work fine on my 5.0TA.
Thanks, I am going to ask her why they didn't work. I would think the 5.0TA and the 21 should have the same frame?? I know when we had the Casita. My hubbie had to bend the ends out a little to give more room to slide the tire in. I wonder if that was her problem. We prefer the BAL. But now nervous. We plan on having all ready and packed by May so when we pick up our new 21' we won't have to purchase much on the fly. Thanks. I am going to ask her why they didn't fit.
Thanks again,
Sue-z-q
SueZqsZoo is offline   Reply With Quote