leveling blocks - pros and cons - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 06:41 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
leveling blocks - pros and cons

Hello friends. You know those stackable leveling blocks right? The ones that are plastic and sometimes resemble Legos and are often brightly colored? Well, I'm considering getting a set. But I'd like to diminish the risk that they won't suit me, and then have them sit in the garage taking up space. So if you have used them, could you please tell me what you like and don't like about them?

P.S. I know about the Andersen Leveler and the Bal Leveler. If you use those, or think one is better than the other, well, (not to be a curmudgeon) that's not really what I want to know.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I need to order a set myself. None have perfect reviews. Awaiting feedback from others with experience with blocks.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #3

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
leggos for men

We bought a set at the suggestion of the factory folks @ Casita last April when we picked up our Indy 17..we use the blocks every time we set up, and even in the driveway to keep things level. Sometimes we only need one block, but three is usual in our limited experience of five trips since April. WE like the orange blocks bks they are easy to SEE and easy to ride up onto and do not slip like wood seems to do. I think they come about 10 to a blue zipper pkg.

It seems easier to pull the Casita forward onto them than to back onto them, FWIW, so we usually back up about a foot too far for the site..IF there is room of course.

I like them for other reasons..1. they FIT back into their zipper pouch and take up as little ROOM in the truck bed as possible 2. they match the ones we sometimes find aparently left behind by careless campers who were in a hurry.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I use them. Have 3 sets of them though I don't bring more than 2 of them on any particular trip.

I also have the Anderson leveller. It is my first choice but about a third of the time I need the tiles because the Anderson wedge isn't thick enough to level the trailer.

Also, I travel solo and I'm medically restricted to what I can lift/drag so I often use them to level out the picnic table wherever the previous camper left it. I like a level-ish picnic table.

Also, I bring the bring the U-shaped Bal tire lift (carried in a pizza carrier to aid in handling it with a minimum of grease transfer). I like this because it is a robust tire chock. (I have ST205/75R14 TIRES.) I've spread the legs a little bit to help fit the device around the tire. In gravelly surfaces it can still be difficult to fit it around the tire so I will roll that side tire up on one tile which makes it easier to fit and to remove the lift.

Also, I have the BAL stabilizer jacks (not the scissors jacks) and I use any extra tiles to minimize how far I have to lower the jacks by cranking. I don't use a impact driver to run the jacks up and down because I feel that increases the chance of spalling the thread. I understand that others don't share my concern. Whatever, YMMV.

Many of my needs wouldn't be shared by others. I'm just laying out how I use them. Like Fred, I use them every trip.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

I have the yellow Camco blocks because that's what Walmart happened to have in stock.

Only issue I've found is it's hard to chock the wheels when the blocks are in use. I believe some systems have proprietary interlocking chocks.

I've also used them to level picnic tables.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
We have the blocks as well as the wheel chocks that snap into them. I find they don't take up much space and are easy to work with. We have take a few trips so far and have always used a few of them to keep things level or to keep the rear stabilizers from sinking in soft soil.
Attached Thumbnails
20180623_105051.jpg  
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #7

Oklahoma
Registry
How thick are they generally?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I use wood cedar blocks, Two 4x4 sandwiched between two 3/4 cedar boards about 8"long, I have about 4 of them, takes care of the front using stabillizers. A few 2x6 of cedar takes care of the back, and a few 3/4" boards will take care of the leveling side to side. Using cedar is light weight. I just happen to have a lot of wood, so I did not buy it special, it was left over from projects. I always look at the plastic blocks but never did they have what I wanted. I guess I just have to order them online. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #9

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
How thick are they generally?
About an inch per block.

We have orange Lynx ones in the blue bag and just bought a set of yellow Camco ones from walmart. They are not compatible with each other but that is rarely an issue. Will likely get another set of the Camco ones simply because we can replace them at any walmart as we travel. They don't have a bag, but they have a handle that secures them together.

We raised our trailer and we like to keep it hooked to our truck if we are only staying one or two nights. Almost everywhere we need a few to make this happen.

Also, the blocks are a great bright visual reminder that you still have supports down before you move the trailer. So, I like to use at least one under each point of contact just to make sure I lift everything before moving. Almost pulled forward with the front fifth wheel legs down just a few days ago. That would have been expensive.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #10

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
leveling

FWIW we use the yellow camco blocks for the stabilizer jacks and sometimes for the tongue jack as needed. I use the orange 'leggos' for the tires.

We also keep a couple of short pieces of 6x6 timbers in case the sites are really off level..which some are. These were "free'..left over from a 'porch' we put on our barn last Spring.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
*DO NOT* get these based on experience...they will bury up because mud/gravel etc will go ALL the way through them. Not so with the solid top ones!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cacmo-445...2-x-2/51494177

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Lev...-10pk/21907582

These will NOT mire up as bad. They're solid. You can also stack extras in front/rear of the tire (which ever side you need to chock) and use a regular small chock like I use without the blocks. In other words, if your setup requires two blocks, simply make sure there's another full block front or aft of the tire which will give you the surface to add a chock. Or as somebody else mentioned, some manufacturers make chocks to adapt to their leveling blocks- like "Legos" .

For what it's worth, I had some friends sell me their 10 blocks for $15. A great bargain and they've never failed to work for me. Like others, you can use them under your leveling stabilizers, front tongue jack etc. Heck...even kneel on one if you need to.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yes, mud! They get caked with mud, and they fade and when older break. Like everything else, it seemed the older ones were of a better quality, and I doubt the quality will improve.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #13

Oklahoma
Registry
just bought a set

I found a set of 12 for $10 on Craigslist. We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #14

Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Hi folks! I have a 17 ft 2014 Casita and I was wondering where I should place a level to check proper level when camping. I do hace a very small level on the front of the trailer and another on one side but am not certain if they are correct. Should I use the belly band or the floor inside or elsewhere. Thanks in advance, Dave in Tonawanda, NY. Love my Casita!!!!
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #15

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
I use scissor jacks for leveling only use the plastic blocks if on soft dirt. Scissor jacks are one of my best mods.
Mark
Old 07-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Great iedea MK, I have a friend at a junk yard, I am going to hit him up for some!!
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Sounds like you got it figured out. I have a set of the yellow ones bought from Amazon. I am pretty "frugal" (cheap) and used scrap 1X, 2X, & 4X wood for years (I am a Carpenter by trade) but the plastic interlocking blocks are far superior IMHO. Build a set long enough to have room behind the tire and a chock sits on them as well.

That said, I have a favored campsite on a friend's acreage that requires ALL my blocks to level the Scamp. We camp there 8everal weekends and one whole week a year. Instead of buying another set of plastic blocks I am going to fabricate a ramp out of 2X8 PT lumber and just leave it down there at the camp. I already sourced a piece of 10" diameter cedar log about a foot tall I use under one of the back stabilizer jacks. The things we do to enhance the camping experience. Back when I was a Boy Scout I could sleep on a rock and be happy.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #18

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I use it all...I have the Andersen Rapid Jack as my main leveler, and it works in very off-level areas. I have four of the yellow leveling blocks. I use two under my two stabilizing jacks, both for the flat surface the provide and because if I'm off level enough, I need the extra height they provide.

If I park somewhere just a little off level, I'll use one of the leveling blocks instead of the Andersen. I also have a couple 2x6s in the back of the truck just in case.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Three PT 2x6's, a 1x6 and a piece of 3/8 plywood. I carry two sets so when a piece gets left behind I can still level the trailer.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #20

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York

We love our orange leveling blocks. Easy to pack, easy to use, and the bright color makes it impossible to leave behind. They stay clean, and accurately level the trailer. We hardly buy any gadgets, but this is something we always use.
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote