levelling jacks - too tall - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I bought some levelling jacks to use to stabilize our 74 trillium while we work on restoring it, but they are too tall to fit under the rear bumper.

It is normal to have to use a scissor jack to raise the trailer enough to use the levellers?

thanks

Old 10-31-2008, 01:12 AM   #2

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Quote:
I bought some levelling jacks to use to stabilize our 74 trillium while we work on restoring it, but they are too tall to fit under the rear bumper.

It is normal to have to use a scissor jack to raise the trailer enough to use the levellers?

thanks
Barry,
Not knowing the model of jack you bought, I couldn't tell. But our eggs are lower to the ground than the standard stick camper and should therefore need smaller jacks. It just occurred to me, did you buy bottle jacks? They would be too tall. You can spend 100 bucks for two "levelling jacks" or merely buy a two scissors jacks for $40.

Leveling jack:<a href="http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=27955&RP=Deptselect&SID=15" target="_blank">
</a>http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail...lect&SID=15

Scissors jack:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1MZK5

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Whatever you use I wouldn't use them on the bumper, but on the frame. Most of these trailers have lightweight bumpers and you're liable to cause some damage.

Leveling too should be done by placing something under a tire. Raise the low side. Front to back, you level using the tongue jack. Scissors jacks, bottle jacks, whatever is used to stabilize the trailer... not level it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Barry, not sure if your Trillium is like our 1972 model but the bumper was bolted onto some thin sheet metal and actually fell off when we first bought it. I jacked mine up on the frame.

Sorry I haven't got pictures of my converter setup to you yet - it's really dark when I get home from work and I have no power where the trailer is. Will take them tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #5

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I use a couple of scissor type jacks made for toyota or Honda type vehicles. I got a couple from an auto recker for about $5.oo. I then added a 6" square of plywood to the base of each for more stability on sandt soil. Like the others said, place jacks under frame to raise trailer. Near the ends to stabilize and nearer the axle if you are changing tires. Another method is to lower the tongue to the ground. Place your jacks under the rear frame and then crank the tongue to height.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #6

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Quote:
I use a couple of scissor type jacks made for toyota or Honda type vehicles. I got a couple from an auto recker for about $5.oo. I then added a 6" square of plywood to the base of each for more stability on sandt soil. Like the others said, place jacks under frame to raise trailer. Near the ends to stabilize and nearer the axle if you are changing tires. Another method is to lower the tongue to the ground. Place your jacks under the rear frame and then crank the tongue to height.
James and Barry and to all, I remember reading in a post, it may been about winter storage, that to jack ones trailer up from the ends so all the weight is off the axle is not a good thing.
The more one thinks about it the more this makes sense.
Your trailer frame was designed and built, to carry the weight on the axle or in some cases the spring shackles. So, try to use the "stabilizer" jacks just for that.
Just to stabilize.
I have had welded 4 scissor jacks, to the frame, in the 4 corners of my Boler and I use them mainly to level the trailer front to back but I make sure that from left to right I am no more then 1/2 bubble off when I park it. I then can level this small amout with the stabilizers.
If I need to back one side or the other tire of the trailer onto a some 2x6 boards to achive this I do it.
I don't need to stress my frame because the tires are still holding some of the weight of the trailer.
Just some food for thought.
Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
Stabilizer.JPG  
Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #7

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
I was wondering about this too. Our bumber seems to be one solid continuous piece with the trailer frame. We were planning to put "stablizing" jacks under it, but will look at it again to be sure it can handle the load, otherwise we will have to find a better spot under the frame to put them.

Has anyone used any of these jacks? We have not purchased jacks
yet...

Name:   127564_lg.gif
Views: 28
Size:  7.1 KB

These look good because we can attatch them to the frame, but I don't know how good they work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	70270.gif
Views:	30
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	16580

This looks good too, but again, not sure about
it.

Name:   stabilizer_jacks.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  19.7 KB

Does anyone use this kind?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
James and Barry and to all, I remember reading in a post, it may been about winter storage, that to jack ones trailer up from the ends so all the weight is off the axle is not a good thing.
The more one thinks about it the more this makes sense.
Your trailer frame was designed and built, to carry the weight on the axle or in some cases the spring shackles. So, try to use the "stabilizer" jacks just for that.
Just to stabilize.
I have had welded 4 scissor jacks, to the frame, in the 4 corners of my Boler and I use them mainly to level the trailer front to back but I make sure that from left to right I am no more then 1/2 bubble off when I park it. I then can level this small amout with the stabilizers.
If I need to back one side or the other tire of the trailer onto a some 2x6 boards to achive this I do it.
I don't need to stress my frame because the tires are still holding some of the weight of the trailer.
Just some food for thought.
Gerry
Gerry -

I have kept some of the weight on the wheels - but have tried to level it only.

thanks

Barry
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I was wondering about this too. Our bumber seems to be one solid continuous piece with the trailer frame. We were planning to put "stablizing" jacks under it, but will look at it again to be sure it can handle the load, otherwise we will have to find a better spot under the frame to put them.

Has anyone used any of these jacks? We have not purchased jacks
yet...

Attachment 16579

These look good because we can attatch them to the frame, but I don't know how good they work.

Attachment 16580

This looks good too, but again, not sure about
it.

Attachment 16581

Does anyone use this kind?
April,

your first photo, the smaller ones look like the stabilizers that came with Scamps. They sell them at Scamp for a little over twenty bucks not including shipping. They mount under the bumper. Dan
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I think MOST Trillium frames extend out the back end of the trailer and (ours, at least) has bumpers made of the same size rectangular tubing as the frame is made of. I know many other trailers bumpers are made differently, and as such, I would not hesitate to weld levelers to this sort of frame however I am NOT a fan of welding ANYTHING to any frame NOR welding levelors/jacks to a trailers frame. I have found (in our experiences) that having these devices moveable makes it easier to place them where ever thay might be best needed as opposed to having them permanantly located in a set location!

I think MAYBE the leveling jacks that Barry is referring to MAY be similar to the ones (one) econd up in the post that April added. These I think were made originally for full sized stickies which normally sit higher off the ground to begin with.....

The last ones posted in Aprils thread I do NOT like at all, because they take forever to spin up to the height needed to level a trailer. The time involved is a hardship (for ME any way) as I have back issues and can't 'do' the hunched over position for any length of time. I know, I KNOW, ....."SUX TA BE ME, LOL!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Regarding the weld-on stabilizers: it would seem they could also be welded onto the frame just past the bumper although it would lesson clearance.
The main function of them is to "stabilize", not "jack up" or even "level". As stated by someone earlier in this thread, the tongue jack is used to level.
I am sure most have experienced the "see-saw" ride when one walks into a trailer not hitched and without stabilizers. Hah hah. A good way to see how things might move while being towed.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
I bought the first ones in Aprils pics, but haven't installed them yet. I have the really old Scamp ones that are round with the bolt you have to adjust. I bought a small bottle jack when I first got the trailer that I use to initially level the rear, then the tongue jack, and then set the stabilizers with the bolts.

Can't wait to get the new ones on as they seem incredibly easy to operate compared to what I have. They do require a bit of modification to mount where the old ones are to achieve the necessary clearance when they're stowed.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #13

Quote:
I think MOST Trillium frames extend out the back end of the trailer and (ours, at least) has bumpers made of the same size rectangular tubing as the frame is made of. I know many other trailers bumpers are made differently, and as such, I would not hesitate to weld levelers to this sort of frame however I am NOT a fan of welding ANYTHING to any frame NOR welding levelors/jacks to a trailers frame. I have found (in our experiences) that having these devices moveable makes it easier to place them where ever thay might be best needed as opposed to having them permanantly located in a set location!

I think MAYBE the leveling jacks that Barry is referring to MAY be similar to the ones (one) econd up in the post that April added. These I think were made originally for full sized stickies which normally sit higher off the ground to begin with.....

The last ones posted in Aprils thread I do NOT like at all, because they take forever to spin up to the height needed to level a trailer. The time involved is a hardship (for ME any way) as I have back issues and can't 'do' the hunched over position for any length of time. I know, I KNOW, ....."SUX TA BE ME, LOL!!!!
Doug:

the jacks I bought are 'aluminum stacker jacks' that are too tall to go under the trilliuim frame - I bought two scissor jacks and use them to 'stabilize' the trailer as you say, and level with the tongue jack.

Barry
Old 11-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....super, Jack, errr Barry I mean, LOL!!!