Lexcel or butyl tape, resealing roof vents - which would you use? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
Lexcel or butyl tape, resealing roof vents - which would you use?

Hi all,
Following a tip here on a thread "what's a good caulking" or something like that i have been using the sashco product lexcel for sealing off some holes like my shore power adaptor plate to my Bigfoot shell and also the wickedly curved black and grey tank roof vents - no butyl tape used and I'm impressed with the lexcel. It is a quality product as far as I can tell, we'll see about long term thoughts..it sure is not workable once applied but careful planning ahead and steady caulking hand! helps.

Anyways I'm about to reinstall my 9x9 bathroom vent after getting it and the roof area all cleaned up, ditto for my new 14x14 fantastic fan but! I'm at a stalemate. Do I opt for the original setup with a double layer of butyl tape installed on a hot day and then follow with some dicor lap joint. OR do I just use the lexcel only and hope I never have to remove either vent again. After the hours of prep work and scraping old silicone and dicor off, I want this to be as permanent and leak free fix as possible.

I was actually thinking of using a 3/8" wide foam rubber tape stuck to the inside of the vent flange closest to the roof hole , then liberal amount of lexcel around the outer portion and around eac screw hole. This way the rubber taper would not allow the flange when tightened down not to squish out all the lexcel, plus leave a gap for future cutting out the vent if absolutely required...

Which method would you use to reseal the roof vents and why?
Thanks!
John
Tyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:01 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Windows, vents, anything with a flange, butyl tape. Why? Because it works. After it's done oozing you can seal the edges with caulk to keep them clean If you like. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Butyl Tape plain and simple.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
OK, thanks for the encourgement. Butyl it is.
Tyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We used butyl on our Scamp and I added some aluminum bar stock to allow the screws to pull down more evenly. You can see our reno of Ziggy on the mods page. Just finished resealing the bathroom window with butyl too. Great stuff!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Raz, Always spot on with the correct answer.
I dub the. "Wagon master"
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Raz, Always spot on with the correct answer.
I dub the. "Wagon master"
You haven't talked to my wife!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I'm sure your wife and mine more than likely share the same opinions about U and Me.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote