Lid safety switch for Fantastic vent? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Lid safety switch for Fantastic vent?

The spring in the lid safety switch failed. Does anyone know if this switch is used in other applications or is available from vendors other than Attwood?
Attached Thumbnails
image-1454591326.jpg  
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If that's for a Fantastic fan vent, they seem to warrant their parts forever. I have received three new vent covers just for the asking. Contact the peeps at Fantastic.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If that's for a Fantastic fan vent, they seem to warrant their parts forever. I have received three new vent covers just for the asking. Contact the peeps at Fantastic.

I wish it were so. The last time I contacted Atwood (they bought FF) for a part, they told me that they had "converted" the lifetime warranties into 2-year warranties and that I would have to buy the part from a reseller.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Big Bummer.... Try googling any numbers found on the part. It's sure to be an off-the-shelf item from somewhere... Good thing I still have one spare cover.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
That switch to me looks like a door light switch for older cars/trucks, replaced one that was similar on a 1985 S-10
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
A switch like that is also used in alarm systems for cars.
Higginra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think that is the switch that turns off the fan when the lid is closed, you may be able to just operate the fan as normal and just remember to turn it off before closing the lid. Try it and see what happens. Alternately try connecting the two wires to the switch and try to operate the fan, it maybe a bypass.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #8

Registry
Thanks for the suggestions. The 85 S10 switch was almost the right one. The clerk at the auto parts house was able to match it by photo. For the record it's called a "door jamb switch". The part number is S227. The new switch has a lifetime warranty which is kind of meta considering how I got here.

Edited - took a closer look at the new one. The threaded part is one size too big. Curses; foiled again.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Wow, no more great service from the folks at Fantastic Fan? I guess this is just another reason to go with the Maxxair 7000
Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan

I hope the people with Atwood are reading this. Converted the life time warranty to two years? Nice.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #10

Registry
Boy, was I wrong!

After my last adventure with Fantastic Fan (getting a replacement on/off/reverse switch) ended poorly (I ended up having to buy a whole inner assembly from a retailer when FF told me that my lifetime warranty was over), I gritted my teeth and called them to see how much a replacement lid switch was going to cost. This time, my experience was totally different. The customer service person didn't ask when I bought the fan, or if I had a receipt. Instead, she asked for my mailing address and said that she'd send me two in the mail. I don't know if this means they have changed their policy on warranties, or if I caught customer service on a good day. I just said "thank you for your kindness" and went on my way.