Lifting the axel - on one side? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Lifting the axel - on one side?

So I'm under the Boler working on the frame rust when I notice that the axle has been raised about 2" by means of heavy washers and long bolts.

On one side.

No - really - only the offside has been raised..the near side is at stock height. I can't for the life of me figure out why somebody would do that...can you?
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG0999.JPG   CIMG1000.JPG  

CIMG1002.JPG   CIMG1003.JPG  

Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Find a perfectly level spot and Use a LEVEL to make sure it is level then park the egg on it.
Now go inside the egg and use the level to see what is going on.
If it level then he did that to correct something and if it leans to the non washered side, who knows.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #3

Colorado
Good idea.
There's no evidence of a frame issue but that would confirm things.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
So I'm under the Boler working on the frame rust when I notice that the axle has been raised about 2" by means of heavy washers and long bolts.

On one side.

No - really - only the offside has been raised..the near side is at stock height. I can't for the life of me figure out why somebody would do that...can you?
My guess is that the rubber suspension inside the axle may have sagged on one side and instead of replacing the axle they used washers to make the trailer sit level. You could check the angle of the arms that support the hubs to see if one side is at a different angle to the frame than the other side.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Maybe the rubber torsion bushings on that side of the axle are bad?? you can measure the up angle degrees on both sides to get that answer. Axle should be on the ground with weight on it when doing the calculation...... In the pictures The side with the washers does look like the rod is sitting higher in relation to the lower bracket
Joe

Sorry Andy...... We're both typing at the same time but it seems we're both saying the same thing. LOL
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #6

Colorado
Great minds thinking alike as usual :~)

It'll be a few days before I can measure it laden - but unladen on the lift they're equal.
I like it as a reason though.
The only other thing I can think of is that with the bit of an angle to it it's shed water off the roof to one side when parked - but why have it shed toward the door
Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

If that's an original axle it's at least 31 years old..... look and see if there's any old scrape marks inside the wheel well on that side....maybe it was rubbing up top in there when he hit bad dips in the road (mushy on that side)??? You gotta let us know what you find.
Joe
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
You gotta let us know what you find.
Joe
I will - I'm big on contributing to the knowledge base whenever I can
Old 04-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Our Boler leaned to the off side badly and needed a new axle. When installing the new one it was found out that the floorpan in the Boler had been installed offset to one side and I now have spacers similar to yours to level the trailer.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Peter Crowl... One thing Bolers aren't is "Rocket Science". Usually the appliance side, fridge, stove, sink and furnace(if equip'd), is a little lower than the closet side. That said I'd put my $$$'s on the axle being shot.
You can check Dexters web site and look up a #9 2200lb. Torsion axle spec's. That's the one that most people use now. They will make them to the exact tube length that you require. Once replaced the trailer will sit higher and ride better. One fly in the oinkment could be changing from a leading arm to a trailing arm axle and making sure it's centered in the wheel opening!!!
The Scout model used a 1250lb. and the Voyageur and Deluxe models used a 1650lb axle as std equip...at least the Earlton Ontario factory did in '77.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
One fly in the oinkment could be changing from a leading arm to a trailing arm axle and making sure it's centered in the wheel opening!!!
Why are they changing from a leading arm to a trailing arm?_______
Joe
Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Joe Z...That's one question you'd have to ask Dexter about!!! I've yet to replace my project trailers axle...but I have to! The frame requires some repair and I might get a new one of those while I'm at it too!!!
Here's a pic of the 3500# Dexter axle under our Escape 5.0
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
down under 2.jpg   three point landing.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #13

Colorado
Hi Alf,
My axle is trailing.
I just bought a 3,500# Dexter for the Amerigo so I've been through the measurement process. I also took my old axle to Redneck so they could confirm my numbers :~)

I need to do some more looking and checking but I'm beginning to agree that the axle needs to be replaced.

P.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Peter,
It looks to me that at one time your axle has been repositioned from a leading arm configuration to trailing arm. If they didn't calculate right the camber bend in the square part of the axle would hit the floor frame. Maybe the extra washers compensated for that and "lean" in the trailer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote