Lighting Pilot Light to run 3 Way Frig - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: currently shopping
Utah
Lighting Pilot Light to run 3 Way Frig

Hi folks. We just purchased a 2005 Scamp 13 with stove, 3 way frig , furnace. The furnace we turned on by turning up the thermostat and opening the gas valve on the tank up front, no problems there.

With the frig and stove I know there is a pilot light and controls under a hatch on the side of the camper. The previous owner said lighting the pilot is easier in the dark? She also said to hook up the frig at home w/ electric, get it cold, then travel. Does this mean you are running the frig off gas while traveling? I'd like to know the order of operations for properly, and safely lighting the pilot and accessories.

Thanks,
Aaron
arashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Shouldn't be a pilot for the stove. Most of them you simply turn on and light the appropriate burner with a flame. Some newer high end stoves have electric starters but you hear them tic tic tic tic until they light.

Many newer fridges also have electric start. I'd turn it on and see. I had a 1997 that was electric start so I'm sure your 2005 should be.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
if you have the model number of the fridge you can get the information from their website. the model number is usually on the back of the fridge at the inspection hatch area
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
To answer your question, many of us travel with the refrigerator running on LP gas. This is not to say that some of the following posts will not agree with this, but I have done it for over 40 years and have yet to blow up anything. But, you do have to turn it off when refueling and when driving through some tunnels.

Standard trailer to vehicle wiring usually can't carry enough current to keep the refrigerator running on 12VDC and charge the trailer battery while traveling and you risk running down your trailers battery rather than charging it.

Yes, it's easier to see it light off in the dark and, if your refrigerator has that pesky push button spark generator, it can be a real trial. I usually use a BBQ lighter and pre-heat the thermocouple for about 15 seconds before pushing the gas button and lighting the flame.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting