Lighting pilot of Duo-Therm 11HU furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Hi Folks,
I just bought a '72 Trillium 13' and just finished a three day trip around New Brunswick. I love it.
Although it's much too hot to use the furnace I would like direction as to how to light the pilot. I tried turning on the propane, turning the knob to 'pilot' and opened the small glass door and inserted the end of the BBQ lighter and nothing lit. I turned it off and decided I better check before pushing my luck. I will appreciate any help offered.
Thanks,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
when you turn to pilot, the knob should push in, you hold it pushed in until it lights, then about a minute longer and then release, it should stay lit on it's own.

Then you should be able to turn it another quarter turn or so to the full ON position, where it will run full flame

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
like Joe said.

I just want to add a couple of obvious things: there could be air in the line if it hasn't been used since the propane tank was swapped, it might take a few seconds to purge the air out of the line before gas starts coming out of the pilot burner. (you'll smell propane after it is purged)

The flame that you are lighting will impinge on a thermocouple that, when heated up will act to keep the gas valve open. It'll take 20-60 seconds of pilot flame before the gas valve will stay open on its own, during that time you have to keep pushing in on the red dial. That thermocouple is a safety, if the pilot goes out the thermocouple will cool after which the gas to the pilot and main burner will stop flowing.

once the pilot is lit and stays on you can turn the red dial to "on", close the inspection port (lighting port) and adjust the thermostat to control when the main burner comes on.

We just got back from 3 weeks in Quebec NB and PEI and I think I used the furnace a half dozen times; some nights went down to 10°C. I was very happy with how comfortable it made the trailer.

Kevin
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
like Joe said.

I just want to add a couple of obvious things: there could be air in the line if it hasn't been used since the propane tank was swapped, it might take a few seconds to purge the air out of the line before gas starts coming out of the pilot burner. (you'll smell propane after it is purged)

The flame that you are lighting will impinge on a thermocouple that, when heated up will act to keep the gas valve open. It'll take 20-60 seconds of pilot flame before the gas valve will stay open on its own, during that time you have to keep pushing in on the red dial. That thermocouple is a safety, if the pilot goes out the thermocouple will cool after which the gas to the pilot and main burner will stop flowing.

once the pilot is lit and stays on you can turn the red dial to "on", close the inspection port (lighting port) and adjust the thermostat to control when the main burner comes on.

We just got back from 3 weeks in Quebec NB and PEI and I think I used the furnace a half dozen times; some nights went down to 10°C. I was very happy with how comfortable it made the trailer.

Kevin
Thanks to you both. That worked...(of course)

HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace