Lighting the Dometic - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2003, 03:08 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Charles! Inside her trailer? :omy

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 03:13 PM   #22

I know she said "inside" her trailer ... but sometimes, depending on where her refrigerator is in relation to the door, she might think she's smelling it inside the trailer ... when it's really coming from the vent.

I also think a little occasionally builds up along the top of the refrigerator ... and if it's not caulked correctly ... or the caulk line broke.

Old 07-28-2003, 08:35 PM   #23

:ola Well I am leaving tomorrow, by hook or by crook as the man once said.... This morning I did shut the refer off and I DID close the gas bottle. I left the generator, with gas in it, in the Scamp. The same odor was present most of the day, it's not that strong. In the morning I will relite the gas refer and get it cold during the day while I am at work... The car is hitched up, all the crates are stacked in the car and I am eager to hit the beautiful mountains of Virginia.
Thanks again and again for all your help and concern... Will be back on soon. Julie

Old 07-29-2003, 07:46 AM   #24

Getting it cold

Julie,

We have to leave ours on all night for it to get cold. Just during the day may not be long enough. It is nice to get it very cold (37) before you leave. With the fan inside it will keep anything from freezing.

Good luck

Old 07-29-2003, 07:53 AM   #25

Good tip Ron!

We usually run our refrigerator for a couple of days before we leave ... and load the refrigerator with food stuff and drinks the day before we leave home ... so the refrigerator has a chance to recover and recool before we roll on down the road.

Julie ... if possible, chill all your sodas, beers, lemonades, etc, at home before putting them in the rv fridge.

It's important, also, to remember, that rv refrigerators don't have the recovery capacity of home refrigerators ... so try not to leave the door of the rv refrigerator open for long lengths of time (like I do with our home refrigerator when I'm trying to find something my wife has hidden in the refrigerator)

Old 07-29-2003, 07:55 AM   #26

Another thing we do is freeze a two-litre bottle of lemonade or iced tea ... and place it inside the regular part of the rv refrigerator to help keep things ice cold while the lemonade or tea gradually thaws.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:41 PM   #27

Lighting the Dometic

:wave I'm back and had a wonderful trip. The temps were in the 60's at night and low 80's during the day. Really refreshing for a Florida resident.
I came back with a warm refridge, it worked great while I was on the electric mode. I traveled part way back on 12 volts and then I was told that It is possible to drive with the gas on. Again, no luck with the gas. I did buy a butane lighter and will try again tomorrow..
I will be hitting the road again on the 20th of August, returning on the 3rd of September.... julie

Old 08-11-2003, 06:47 AM   #28

Hi, Julie :wave

Welcome home! Glad your trip went well. Sorry to hear that you still have fridge woes, but at least it works on electric.

Since I only have a two way and no electric :cry I don't know how the temperature varies on the different settings. On mine, the propane gets very cold so I leave it pretty low, but when traveling on the DC, I have to crank it up a bit to keep it cold. Is yours that way?

Cool weather: I know that was a relief. Glad you got to enjoy it!

Old 08-11-2003, 01:29 PM   #29

:E :E Suz, I can't really answer your question as we are still in the learning stage. It was nice and cold on electric, I can tell you that. It was not very cold on battery, I did have juice as the lights did work. Not able to give you an answer on the propane as it is not working to this point. I am going out to check it again, I will finish this after this, my 40th check! The coils are cool to the touch, we are making progress. I am going to leave it on at least until bedtime, maybe even over night. Thanks again for all the help. Julie