Lighting the Dometic - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2003, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lighting the Dometic

Hello, yes it is me again.... this time I am in a quandry about the Dometic fridge in my 13 foot Scamp. I have used the fridge in the 12 volt and the 120volt ac modes, both work fine. Now I plan on going out Tuesday on a trip to Virginia, I will need to use the gas at some point along the way. After turning on the gas, holding down the on button, then depressing the ignition(red button) I hear a pop but it never ignites. I have attempted to clean it, going as far as I dared to go, not being especially mechanical. Could someone give me a hint as to what I should be looking for and what to do next? All hints would be greatly appreciated. Julie

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:32 AM   #2

Lighting fridge

Julie, Be sure your gas bottle is turned on and that there is gas in the bottle (sounds pretty basic, but just to be sure!) and I always light a stove burner first in order to know for sure that there is gas to the system. That usually helps the fridge to light faster. Look for spider webs at the igniter-they love to make webs in gas lines. In my experience, the thermocouple is always the major suspect if it still won't light.

Old 07-27-2003, 11:40 AM   #3

Lighting the Dometic

I have been waiting and hoping for an answer. I have removed the gas tank, it weighed in at 32 pounds meaning it is about 3/4 full. Lighting the stove would have been my next step: however, I don't have a stove.. I am the second owner of this Scamp... The original owners decided against the stove as well as a fresh water holding tank... I had a marine bladder installed under the left rear seat. The lack of a stove means I have no other way to check the system. Thanks again, anyone else have an ideas? Julie

Old 07-27-2003, 11:46 AM   #4

There is a little instruction panel on the back of our dometic, back where you light it. Do you have one? On ours there is a blue button that has to be held in also.

Old 07-27-2003, 12:23 PM   #5

lighting the fridge

Julie:

The 'ignition' (red button) is the piezo lighter. When ya push the button down, it'll 'snap', but that doesn't necessarily mean a spark is getting to the pilot. I'd try it at night with one of those long nosed fireplace type lighters, hold down the 'pilot' button while trying to get the flame from the lighter near the pilot. Then if the pilot lights, you should be able to see it.

Old 07-27-2003, 01:13 PM   #6

Julie ... what makes you think the gas is not lighting?

The gas doesn't come on with a "whoooosh" like a water heater. All you are lighting is a tiny, little pilot-light-sized flame

There is usually a little "view" hole, often covered with a little sliding door, that you can swing open and peer in to see the flame.

But often, during the daylight, you can't really see the flame at all.

Try lighting it in the dark (after locating the little view hole). You may find you've been lighting the little pilot light flame all along.

Another version of Don's lighter test ..... During the daytime, first go through the fridge propane ignition steps and then use one of those long-stemmed butane lighters ... pull the trigger on the lighter, blow out the lighter's flame, and then stick the un-lit-butane-emitting lighter up against the view hole ... where the lighter will ignite if your refrigerator pilot light flame is burning.

Old 07-27-2003, 01:48 PM   #7

Lighting the Dometic

:wave Yes, me again.... I have made sure the gas is turned on, I have depressed all the buttons available, nothing viewed in blue. I have taken this system apart as much as I possible could. I have attempted to light the system in both the light and the dark.... Yesterday afternoon I did see a spark coming from in back of the box. My view, at that time, was on the little opening.. I have not seen a flame of any color up to this point... Could it be that this system has never been used and is clogged? Would I smell the gas, I am not doing so at this time? Could I use a long fireplace candle to light the pilot as I don't have a lighter for same? Will I blow up? I am really getting nervous, not sure how far I can go... If it is not lit tonight I will need to take it to a repairman and hope to fix it while I wait tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help... Julie

Old 07-27-2003, 02:10 PM   #8

If you have your knob turned to the off position and your lever on the gas line paralell to the line and your pressing all necessary buttons, and you still get nothing, you could try unhooking your gas line and blow air thru the line. This would dislodge any spiders etc. that may be clogging the line. This was all the repair our furnace needed. Good luck. We had a hard time lighting our fridge till we pressed the blue and red buttons at the same time.

Old 07-27-2003, 03:55 PM   #9

fridge it

On the fridge there should be a little valve that says 12v 110 v and propane, and possibly a small brass shutoff which will stop the selector dial from turning when in the on position. This makes sure the propane isn't on at the same time as the power.
Then, on your gas regulator (at the fridge) there might be a dial that says off, pilot, on.
To light you have to put the button to pilot, and hold it in., now push the blue(ignitor )button, on my fridge this can take up to 5 minutes to bleed out the air and get to propane which lights the fridge.
Once it lights hold it in for a minute or so, then let the pilot button out. If the fridge goes out, re light it and hold it a little longer.
If it stays lit then you can turn the pilot button to on. after 3 or 4 hours, your fridge should be back to normal temperatures

Old 07-27-2003, 06:34 PM   #10

Lighting the Dometic

:banana It is now dusk and a good time to check for a flame. I depressed the on off switch for a period of about five minutes. I couldn't smell gas and I was not able to see a flame of any color. The refer I have is in a 13 foot Scamp, it is a Dometic, I don't have a blue button of any kind. I kept pushing the red button and looking though the little peep hole for a flame. I then decided to take the box off where the little peep hole is positioned. I depress the red button again, what a roar and then I could see the flame!!!! I shut the flame down, attached the peep hole box and tried again... I believe that I do have a flame this time. It is in the high position, the gas bottle is turned up high, and I can smell gas inside the Scamp. I am going to leave it for a few hours and hope to be able to tell if the refer is beginning to cool down. I thank you all for the time you have given me. I am a much happy camper tonight, just a bit worried about the gas smell... I am thinking the smell is from depressing the button for such a long period of time. I will come back to let everyone know before going to bed tonight, it is now 8:30 EST. Thanks again, Julie

Old 07-27-2003, 07:42 PM   #11

FWIW

My Dometic is about 14 yrs old and it has to be lit from the outside. Because it does, and because it is old, I always light it through the little door with my gas lighter. Call me a ninny, but the built in igniter just doesn't work fast enough for me. I want it lit the minute the gas comes out.

But then, I'm weird. :o

Glad yours started working!

Old 07-27-2003, 08:00 PM   #12

Oh, you guys have a built in igniter? We light ours.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:30 PM   #13

Lighting the dometic

:cblob It is now 11:25pm EST. I just checked the flame again and it is still burning. The refer is on and beginning to cool. Inside the Scamp still has the smell of gas. I have decided to leave the refer on all night and see how cold it is in the morning, also, to see if the gas smell is gone. Again, thanks for all the help Still plan on leaving for Roanoke Tuesday evening. Julie

Old 07-27-2003, 09:39 PM   #14

Julie you should NOT be smelling gas inside your trailer!

Old 07-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #15

Hi Julie
I agree with Mary.I would get a gas line pressure test.Peice of mind does not cost much.:wave

Old 07-27-2003, 11:40 PM   #16

lighting refrig

At our dealership (I won't tell you our name as I'm not looking for business) our mechanic can usually repair the problem described in about 20 minutes and would charge about $40 . If it's just a switch you didn't turn on it would be free. Don' t mess with gas.

Old 07-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #17

I'm for taking it to Jim. :yep. no way would I leave it on if I was getting a smell. but then that was last night. hope all's well. I'm such a worry wart today. :wak

Old 07-28-2003, 01:46 PM   #18

Lighting the Dometic

:weep I would love to take it to Jim, lets see how many days would it take to get there! I just checked the Scamp again and the gas smell is gone. I hope it will be gone forever. I will light the fridge again tonight and check for the odor. I am wondering if it could be because I depressed the buttons for the gas line for such a long period of time. Eager to get the thing going by today. I am leaving right after work tomorrow. Thanks again, Julie

Old 07-28-2003, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Orginally posted by Julie M

:weep I would love to take it to Jim, lets see how many days would it take to get there! I just checked the Scamp again and the gas smell is gone. I hope it will be gone forever. I will light the fridge again tonight and check for the odor. I am wondering if it could be because I depressed the buttons for the gas line for such a long period of time. Eager to get the thing going by today. I am leaving right after work tomorrow. Thanks again, Julie
Julie, try lighting it using one of those lighters. It's really helpful to have one on hand, anyway, for things like the stove, etc.

It may be your ignitor. It may be hit or miss while the gas is constant. Perhaps this would allow the build up of gas. Since you said it lit with a roar, I'm assuming that your gas was building up while your igniter just couldn't get the spark there until it was full of gas.

Old 07-28-2003, 03:07 PM   #20

Julie ... glad it's lit!

Now, are you sure you're smelling gas? Usually a refrigerator running on propane puts out an odor .... particularly if you "sniff" around the vents.

Not quite a gas smell. But more of a hot odor from the flame.