Lil Bigfoot Floor Replacement - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
I started by having to replace a falling cabinet over the stove/sink area of my 13' Lil Bigfoot last night. As of tonight it's turned into a partial gutting. We are having the disintigrating tan wall covering replaced professionally by a classic car upholstery shop, and decided we wanted to have it done right all the way. Hence we started taking out the seats & other cabinetry to allow for the walls to be replaced from top to bottom.

We knew we had a problem when some of the screws we removed from the floor were so corroded they looked like they came off of the deck of a sunken ship. When we peeled back the original linoleum the plywood was wet and and soft. We've had the trailer for a year here in mostly dry and hot Texas, but have had some rain in the last several weeks. There is no obvious leaks, so we are not sure if the moisture occurred years ago and hasn't had a chance to dry out since the plywood has been sandwiched between the fiberglass and old linoleum.

Has anyone every replaced the plywood floor in a lil bigfoot? How easy is it to remove the wood? (My wife and I are novices at these kind of projects--so need to know what we might be getting ourselves into. Will this be a minor headache or a major nightmare?) Thanks for any help you can provide! --Carl

Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Hi Carl. Wow, so what's up with the Lil Bigfoots, We also own a 1987. And same problem, after removing linoleum, the wood was all wet. And this is throughout the whole trailer. Our wood needs to be replaced as the wetness has caused humps. Plus it now smells.
I thought it was the front window, but sealed it really good, now I think it is the black rubber around the belly.
Sure could use some help figuring this out. Right now , our trailer sits in our garage, needing a new floor, think we'll replace all the window gaskets and seal again, and also along the rubber belly.
Would like to follow your process as we are novices also. Or hear from anyone that can help.

We LOVE our Lil Bigfoot, but this leaking business has stumped us. Thanks, Deb and Carol.

Deb Ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
Glad to hear from fellow '87 Lil Bigfoot Owners. I'll keep you posted on the project. I've removed all of the linolium flooing and am now tackling the plylwood subfloor. The company sealed the floor into the coach with a strip of fiberglass around all of the outside edges; I'm sure you seen the same. I purchased a diamond coated cutting wheel for my Dremel tool, and it works very well at cutting through the fiberglass at the endge of the plywood. I'm about 3/4 the way finished. I plan on replacing the subfloor with medium density overlay (MDO), which is essentially water proof.

I hear you on the leaks. I too am concered about the belly band. Let me know if you find anything out about replacing it, and I'll let you know the same if I find good suggestions.

Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote