Lil Bigfoot ground/axle clearance... 4"? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Lil Bigfoot ground/axle clearance... 4"?

Yesterday when we were under the trailer exploring the brake situation, Ron measured the clearance below the axle... finding it was 4 inches.

I should clarify that the trailer is not sagging around the frame, and there is good clearance between the tire and the wheel well. We also have those roller/casters underneath in the back to protect the body from damage on curbs, etc.

But that 4 inches along the axle seems excessively low. Is this normal, or did someone do a strange alteration? I can post a picture if necessary.

Thanks,
Ellpea
Old 02-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
4" from the axle tube to the ground? Is it the same distance all along the axle, or just in one spot?

The clearance will be determined by tire size and whether you've got the "drop" axle. I'll measure the clearance on my 17' Bigfoot later today, but I'm not sure if they're comparable.

I agree that's not much ground clearance.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The Lil' Bigfoot has a torsion axle. so it depends on the angle of the arms. Some forum members have torsion axles that can be adjusted (raised & lowered) depending on use requirements. M
Hopefully one of them will chime in soon with more information.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Ah interesting. Ok. Good because I was just coming back to say that because of the thaw we're having, my Bigfoot is parked over a melting glacier right now. I'm not getting under there until things either freeze back over, or thaw completely.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #5

CA
Torsion axle, teflon block

I managed to get a photo of the spot we're referring to. Ron says the axle has been lifted via the insertion of a teflon "block," which you can see in the photo.

He identifies this as a torsion axle, but says he does not see a place to make a height adjustment, which would possibly explain why the block was inserted?

I asked him how the rest of the frame looked, and he answered "old." But we don't see signs of cracks or stress... at least so far!

Also, you can see the "rat's nest" of wires he was referring to in my question elsewhere about brakes. Someone has fooled with that also, there are no blue wires, and the black wire has been disconnected and just wrapped around.

Anyway, I'm still wondering if a weird mod has been done that we should check into?
Old 02-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #6

CA
Here is another update. Ron had me jump in the trailer while he observed the frame/torsion/tire. He says the only flex is in the tire, so he expects the torsion is shot, and THAT is why the teflon blocks were installed.

Bummer.

Any advice on what/how much we need to do to fix?
Old 02-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Not all torsion axles are adjustable for height. When you select your new one you can choose.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bigfoot