Lil Bigfoot Gut (Screw Question) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13.5
Saskatchewan
Lil Bigfoot Gut (Screw Question)

Sooooo... last summer I gutted the 87 lil bigfoot. to the floor which I will replace likely next month.

It was a pretty big job in what felt like a sauna to get to the point I am at.
After I put it away for the year, I realized that 1. many of the screws to the floor were rusty beyond identification, and 2. there appear to be at least 2 different lengths of screws in the floor and holding the cabinets in place. and finally 3. I now have no idea which length of screws go where when I reattached everything.

I don't want to go by trial and error, and put a few screws through the shell from the inside.

Any advice?
stevelilbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
I took the dinette out on the curb side in a 2005 17.5 rear gaucho to repair some water damage to the floor, if your floor is made like mine the plywood on the floor was about 1/2" and the styrofoam under that was about 1 1/2" making it about 2" to the shell from the top of the plywood. the trim on the dinette that you screwed thru to the floor was about 3/4" I bought 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" pocket hole screws for soft wood (coarse thread) they have a large washer like head that works well for attaching to the floor.
To test the depth of your floor you could drill a small hole in an out of the way spot through the plywood then insert a piece of coat hanger wire or similar through the foam until you hit the shell, put a piece of masking tape around it at the top of the plywood and measure how much went in. Or perhaps you can measure at a floor penetration like the drain to a waste tank. Be aware there are a series of 2x2 (actually 1 1/2 x 1 1/2) across the floor with the foam in between if when your drilling your still drilling wood after 5/8" you may have drilled into one of the 2x2 just move towards the front or rear a couple " and try again. the 2x2 run across the width of the trailer. Good luck sorry for all the inch measure but I'm not good with metric. Take your time putting it together figure out the sequence of putting things back, I found lots of screws in nearly impossible spots to reach and some that you couldn't even see.
Martin A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot