Old 06-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen11o View Post
John,

Reading that you regret selling the Lil Bigfoot is nice to hear; there obviously were things you liked about it. What were some of those things that you thing differentiate them from other eggs?

That's good advice about getting a battery that can hold a charge a bit longer. In the Yukon, we would probably be camping in places where there are no campgrounds. Or if in campgrounds, not all of them have the capacity to allow you to plug in. I'm not independently wealthy (!) so will remember your advice about where to buy batteries!

Its also good feedback about the axle. How did you know your axle was dead?

Jen
In the picture there is little clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well which indicates the shock absorbing capacity of rubber in the axle is shot.
When I towed it home, about 40 miles on good paved roads, every cabinet door was open and the cushions were on the floor from the rough ride.

I don't really know the life of this type of axle but from comments hear I think 20 to 25 years is stretching it.

I think the reason I regret selling it is it's a rare trailer, I had never done such an extensive rebuild and it was just like new.

I added a roof mount 60 watt Solar panel so it was all set up for the way I camped.
I might add that most Lil Bigfoots came with very nice fiberglass trunk on the tongue which was designed to hold 2 propane tanks and the battery.
As I remember it weighed about 40 0r 50 pounds.
I tow with a 2007 Toyota Tacoma standard cab.
My only complaint with Toyota PUs is when you add 2 bags of groceries in the bed it sinks.
I have added air bags to my PU.
I use about 30 pounds to tow level with the 13' Scamps I've had and the Lil Bigfoot used the same.
John

Old 06-14-2015, 11:16 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13.5
Saskatchewan
Hi Jen,
I have an 88 lil bigfoot. I pulled it from Regina to London, Ontario a number of years ago with an 06 Subaru impreza. No problem. used to pass the silverados pulling fifth wheels up hill a half hour after they pulled out of the campgrounds.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13.5
Saskatchewan
forgot to add, no trailer brakes and no problems.you will be fine
Old 06-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #18

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Yukon
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your input! I've learned lots over the past 24 hours!

The owner weighed the tongue and it came in at 240lbs, which is over our 200lb limit. We could remove the front cage for the propane tanks, but the owner said it would be complicated. So we're going to pass and probably keep our eye out for a boler or a scamp. I was pretty excited about it but I'm sure the right one will come along!

Thanks again!

Jen
Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen11o View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for all of your input! I've learned lots over the past 24 hours!

The owner weighed the tongue and it came in at 240lbs, which is over our 200lb limit. We could remove the front cage for the propane tanks, but the owner said it would be complicated. So we're going to pass and probably keep our eye out for a boler or a scamp. I was pretty excited about it but I'm sure the right one will come along!

Thanks again!

Jen
Jen as much as I love the Lil Bigfoot and the extra nice finishing of the interior of it & as much as I love Subaru's and know first hand it a good solid small tow vehicle, I think you have made the right decision. A lighter 13' Scamp or Boler would be better suited for it in the long run.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot