Lil Snoozy adopted and brought home to NC - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Smile Lil Snoozy adopted and brought home to NC

We did it. The Lil Snoozy folks came through so quickly! We visited the factory in St. Matthews SC on Sept. 25, liked what we saw and heard, and put down a deposit. Our Snoozy (aka Marigold) was ready for us yesterday (10/15) - pretty quick service. We spent several hours with Alan Smoak and Richard Mickle getting last minute stuff done, including our wanting things we had not asked for originally. They came through beautifully. Then Richard went with us to the nearby Sweetwater Lake Campground to help us set up for the first time ever for us with an RV. As an added treat while we were there learning how to hitch and unhitch, Alan flew over in his plane and dipped his wings to us! I am positive if we had bought an RV from Camping World, we would not have been honored by a flyover! Later that evening Alan stopped by to be sure we were fixed for the night. That night went by fast - although I was so excited I could not really sleep and kept thinking of where I wanted to put stuff, etc. Our little dog slept in his crate up on the couch - did not make a sound all night. This morning all was well, so we called them and said we were heading out and did not need to come by the factory for anything. My husband pulled Marigold home with our 2013 Highlander and said it was a "piece of cake". She trundled along behind us and did not cause a single problem.

When we got home this afternoon, it was my job to tackle the Thetford cassette toilet (one of the aspects of RVs that I was not looking forward to) and I was really surprised how easy it was and actually not unpleasant - those chemicals really work. And we were delighted to have that toilet in the Snoozy as the bathhouse at the Sweetwater Lake Campground is disgusting! The grounds are pretty with a beautiful lake and plenty of room to walk and enjoy the sunrise and sunset over the farmland. But use your own bathroom, definitely.

Okay, I'll stop now. It looks as if we are going to have to pull Marigold to Alabama next week to help out in a family crisis. It is going to be nice to have our own bed instead of sharing with the grandchildren!! They are going to be begging to sleep with us for a change. Check out Lil Snoozy if you are looking for a mobile nest of your own.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
lil snoozy

I wonder how many lil snoozy's and eggs have been sold . and how many have changed hands ? I like the egg and lil snoozy still trying to decide . Its to bad the one in SC has twin beds . missed the one in Arkansas . I have all winter to find one so my quest continues Jim

I wonder how much to convert back to queen bed from twins on lil snoozy?

Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151
North Carolina
Registry
Marigold

Melanie, it sounds like you are off to a really great start with your new Snoozy. Congratulations! Do you know what number you are? ( We have #151.) I am eager to hear more when you get a chance.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

Alabama
Jenny - Alan Smoak would be able to advise you about changing twins to a queen. He is completely knowlegeable about all aspects of his Snoozy.

Susie - I just emailed Richard Mickle to let him know we arrived safely and asked him about our production number. It was mentioned at some point, but things were so hectic that the answer passed me by. I would also be curious.

Tomorrow I will clean out all the construction dust in the drawers and cabinets - they were still buffing when we arrived and still had to finish designing and constructing a new type of bumper and attached step that they developed for us. Then I can arrange stuff like I want and get ready for the next adventure!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Congratulations Melanie. Glad it worked out so well for you.
I was also surprised how easy it was to handle the toilet. We
put a lot of {........} and toilet paper in it but all that came out
was green water.

I'd like to see pictures of your new style bumper and step.

I remember Mike telling us the campground was good but the
outhouse was bad. lol. It was pouring down rain when we
picked ours up so we headed on down to Florida to visit the kids.

Mine is #161. Picked it up last April.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry

Happy for you Melanie! hope the trailer brings you lots of joy and great memories.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Great report on your pick-up. Congrats on the new home-away-from-home. You're gonna love it, I can tell.
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Congrats on your new trailer, Melanie. Lotsa great fun ahead.

A fitting name, as Marigold was the name of the mother of three very close friends of mine (one was my best man), and was also a close friend too. She passed away with Alzheimer's earlier this year. May your Marigold bring you as much pleasure as ours did for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #9

Alabama
Jim - our name of Marigold comes from 2 sources. First - I am a many years old gardener and grow scads of marigolds every summer - reliable, tough flowers that do not require a bit of coddling and look great - love them (even the foliage odor). Second - one of my favorite movies is The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (with Judi Dench) - the emphasis in that silly movie about moving forward and not being afraid of change and challenge really speaks to me as my husband and I are learning how to live in retirement (we both miss those work challenges we complained about so much at the time). We decided we had spent enough time here in the woods (which we love, of course) with his woodworking and my flowers. It is time to add some more adventures for a few years while we can. So we took the plunge and did what we had always said "we would never do" - get an RV and look for some fun. Never say never!!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Great way to come up with a name. Much better than because it sounds cool. You guys will do great in your new endeavours. I am but a few years away from doing the same myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #11

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Melanie, enjoy your lil snoozy and the camping life. I'm in bed in our Snoozy right now reading FGRV on my iPad.

You mentioned going to Al. If you are at all south, check out the Florida panhandle beach campgrounds. St Andrews (Panama City Beach) and Grayton beach are my favorites.

We blog about our travels with the Snoozy at wanderingourway.wordpress.com.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #12

Alabama
Smile Report on first trip

We did it - we pulled our Marigold from Raleigh area in NC to Marion, NC to Chatanooga, TN to Huntsville, AL and back to Chatanooga to Swannanoa NC to Aberdeen NC and then home - 12 days on the road!

The Snoozy behaved beautifully. We discovered a brake problem the day before we were to leave (scraping and rattling sound on right brake side) and called Alan and Richard in a panic. Result was that we had to find a repair person and were lucky to get in touch with Becky of WheelWorks in Raleigh who came to our house at 6:15 AM to check out the problem. It turned out to be a loose lug bolt which was flying around inside - apparently the trailer people had not connected the nut tight enough and it shook loose and disappeared or was never put on at all. It could have been a serious safety issue, but Becky fixed it and checked all other bolts on both brakes, added air to the tires, and gave us the go ahead. We paid her and Richard has reimbursed us under the warranty. So all is well.

The camper was quite comfortable under a variety of weather on our trip - ranging from really cold to dry and comfortable to pouring rain. The little heater kept us warm at night. We really like the rear bumper and step we had designed and fitted for us by Alan. I will try to get a picture posted on here, maybe tomorrow, for others to see.

I have one question for more experienced Snoozy owners - what did you do about the door window? The mini-blinds are fine for the windows (although I don't like blinds as a rule - they will do for now). But I realized suddenly the first dark morning when I stepped out of the shower that the door window was not covered in any way and I apparently was putting on a show for the whole campground. My husband took 2 sheets of drawing paper over the window with tape for the rest of the trip. But that is only a temporary solution. I saw on another thread that Carl (?) put up a car shade (with velcro to hold it); so that is what I will look at first. Any other suggestions?

Although we had planned to take our first trip to the coast as it would be flat and less scary driving for novices, it turned out we had to go to AL and this meant over the mountains. The Snoozy was a trooper and was no trouble, even on those scary mountain curves. My husband had little difficulty backing up when necessary. We got attention everywhere we went - with people asking about the Snoozy and wanting to see inside. We felt quite important - in spite of being so little and surrounded by giant expensive motorhomes. It was fun!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #13

NE Oklahoma
Yep, I used a car shade.....

Fiberglass RV - carlkeigley's Album: Glamp, Glamp - Picture

Before I could think of any solution I draped a shirt over the screen door.

We haven't used our shower yet. Daughter keeps wanting to, but we've had
access to cg showers so far. How did you find the shower work for you?

Others have hung regular curtain style fabric with velcro as well.

I enjoy those "BIG" rigs wanting to look inside and make the comments
themselves that this rig can go so many places they can't.

Definitely glad you found a safety problem "before" it was a problem
and you had it fixed.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #14

NE Oklahoma
Here's a bathroom mod in case you have to stand on tippy toe
like some of us did. I used pvc lumber from Lowe's

http://lilsnoozyclub-com.webs.com/ap...toid=179168723

Makes our toilet experience more enjoyable and can be lifted out for showers.

Bathroom Platform from PVC Lumber