Lil'Snoozy owners : please contact me - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #21

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
These wrinkles are present when the part comes out of the mold. Since this particular one happened to be on the very top of the camper we nor Mike noticed it until he returned home.
LiL Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Snoozy View Post
I am also a recognized authority in the Flexible Membrane Vacuum Infusion technique.

Nicholas Smoak
Sounds like Mike's getting taken care of!

But as long as you're here... The technique referred to above is known by the industry shorthand as "VI", correct? Is yours the only Fiberglass Trailer produced by this method rather than the traditional Resin Transfer Molding (RTM) process?

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
To Mike,
by the way welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new purchase. Feel free to share any photos of your new toy, we like photos around here. Cheers
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #24

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Just my $0.02: Vacuum infusion is how high end fiberglass boats are built. Rather than spraying resin on like thick paint, an airtight mold is created and the resin is sucked in under vacuum, resulting in properly wetted glass with a higher ratio of glass to resin. Fiberglass is strong, resin is weak.

Tooling is more expensive but makes a stronger/lighter part and part to part uniformity is better in mass production.

The manufacturing process is one of the main reasons I bought a Snoozy.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Amscram, I can understand why you felt so concerned and nervous about the divot on your roof. Without some extra knowledge about the manufacturing process, it would be tough to know whether the problem was structural or cosmetic.

Now that we've seen the photo and heard more info, it's pretty clear that it's more of a gelcoat (cosmetic) issue, happily! I bet the stuff used to fix it will hold up fine.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Just my $0.02: Vacuum infusion is how high end fiberglass boats are built. Rather than spraying resin on like thick paint, an airtight mold is created and the resin is sucked in under vacuum, resulting in properly wetted glass with a higher ratio of glass to resin. Fiberglass is strong, resin is weak.

Tooling is more expensive but makes a stronger/lighter part and part to part uniformity is better in mass production.

Me too I think this is where the blow hole in the top of the snooz is located .
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post

The term "vacuum infusion' is a very broad one covering an equally broad range of products.
Here's a (partial) list of types- is one of these the method used to build the Snoozy?

Quote:
Vacuum Infusion is a method of transferring or introducing resin into the reinforcing layer. To transfer you need pressure or create a difference of pressure from the atmosphere to the part.

Resin Transfer Method (RTM) is a method wherein the resin is transferred or infused to the reinforcing fibers by a pressure pump, no vacuum. This requires a heavy inner and outer mold.

RTM- VAT is resin transfer using both pressure and vaccuum assist to pull the resin in. A closed mold or vacuum bag is used.

VARTM- Vacuum Assist Resin Transfer Method is purely vacuum to transfer the resin under a closed mold or vacuum bagged mold. I beleive this is a patented system and inquiry to the process will bind you to an agreement to use the process. At least that is what i have read when it was introduced.

A variation of the VARTM is available from another material supplier but i understand you have to use their flow medium material.

Vacuum bagging- prepreg molding is a process where there are no resin transfer because the resin is already impregnated into the reinforcing material. You have to cook it in an oven though.

A variation of this is VARTM- UV curing, another vacuum bagged process.
Thanks!

Francesca
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #28
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Francesca:

As I understand it, Snoozy was supposed to be using light RTM (which provides a finished interior surface), this differs from RTM in that the inner mold is lighter or flexible. Often too, vacuum is used rather than a pump to infuse the resin throughout the fiberglass in the mold (VARTM). But, the Snoozy interior seems somewhat unfinished - leading me to believe that they are using a bagged vacuum infusion method at least for now. Thousands of boats are built this way every year.

I'm a fan of more advanced fiberglass manufacturing techniques and attend international boatbuilding and composites conventions/trade shows/workshops every year. The current problem discussed in this thread seems to me to be a basic quality assurance issue. From the explanations given, it doesn't appear structural. My view is that it shouldn't have left the factory with that type of blemish. Thumbs up that they are going to fix it.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
Francesca:

As I understand it, Snoozy was supposed to be using light RTM (which provides a finished interior surface), this differs from RTM in that the inner mold is lighter or flexible. Often too, vacuum is used rather than a pump to infuse the resin throughout the fiberglass in the mold (VARTM). But, the Snoozy interior seems somewhat unfinished - leading me to believe that they are using a bagged vacuum infusion method at least for now. Thousands of boats are built this way every year.
Thanks, GP...

I live in boatbuilding country, and this sounds like a method that's also popular among do-it-yourself boatbuilders around here.
I remember a fellow nicknamed "Fiberglass George" down at the boatyard that always said that he went out of business 'cause he taught so many people how to do the "vacuum infusion" thing with a shop vac that nobody wanted to pay him to build them a dinghy any more! ...

His vacuum setup looked something like this one:

And the basic layup something like this:

Not real high-tech, but it gets the job done. I've heard that it takes a while to set up etc. but folks seem to like it at least partly for its economy as far as efficient use of resin is concerned, which I s'pose might help in the weight-saving department, too...though it seems to me that weight-reduction would also depend on the type of fiber/resin used.

Anyway- thanks again for the info!

Francesca
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #30

Mike,
Did you get it fixed at your home for the Holidays?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #31

Name: MIKE
Trailer: LiL SNOOZY
Tennessee
LilSnoozy update : Ken, I must be direct and fair. The answer is NO and I now have a rain water leak but it is NOT due to the original problem. Mr. Alan Smoak is very willing to fix all of our concerns and will pay for our expenses to bring the LilSnoozy back to the factory. We will be on our way next week. Thanks, Mike and Rosalie
AMSCRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #32

Bummer, but hopefully it will all be fixed by next week then. I hope the weather cooperates for your drive. You don't want to be dealing with snow and ice while towing. Have a safe trip
Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
My wife and I are looking to purchase a Lil Snoozy in the near future.
Structural integrity is of utmost concern. But manufacture integrity
is just as big a concern as structure integrity does depend on the integrity
of the manufacturer and/or dealerships. I've made my mind up shortly
after Smoakin' Concepts came out with the Snoozy, but I still read up on
every one else's experience. Some are very disappointing with their product
outcome and treatment by some dealerships.

So far, my vote is for the Lil Snoozy................and I expect the product and
service to only get better over the years to come.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #34

Michigan
I've been happy with mine and the support from the factory. It's the only RV I've ever had so I really don't have an accurate comparison from others.

I believe all these folks are small businesses with good intentions and decent products. With that said, from my background in the auto industry, they have a long way to go to achieve Toyota level quality. Maybe more experienced fiberglass RVers can chime in here.

I sort of viewed my trailer as somewhat of a blank canvas that I could build on and it has met my expectations. We're I to do this again I'd buy another Snoozy.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #35

NE Oklahoma
I like the blank canvas option plus all the other (+) or (-) options they offer.
I have a Toyota pickup so I understand the quality aspect. I've seen Bama's
Snoozy in Van Buren, AR. so I at least have seen one. I want the most with
the minimum area and especially the least upkeep cost. This one seems to
fit my expectations. I like the teardrops out there if I were 30 years younger
and it was just me and the wife, but we've adopted a special needs daughter
21 years ago so need a bigger unit. The Snoozy allows for 3 effortlessly, plus
the full time bed does it for me. And the same price as a top teardrop, what's
not to like? lol.

I've been following your blog, Denny; it's a joy to follow your travels.
Hopefully, I'll be making one of my own in the near future.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #36

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
We have been exceptionally pleased with our Lil Snoozy. I'm not saying it has been perfect, but almost, and far fewer issues than some of the problems owners of other brands have told me about. The manufacturer has been very cooperative and get an A from me for standing behind their product.
When I picked up our trailer the reverse lock-out solenoid on the brakes was faulty. This was no fault of theirs, but a faulty part from a manufacturer.They advised me to take it to local repair facility near home and that they would pick up the bill. They did and it was almost $400.00! My cabinets were pulling away from the wall in one area. They advised me to take out the screws and use liquid nail on the screws and behind the cabinets. It took me less than a half hour to do this. I have bounced the trailer up and down the roads 6000 miles since then without an issue. I have had a persistent window leak and they offered to send me the new and improved gasket they are now using or for me to stop by for them to do the install. I could probably install the gasket without much problem, but instead, have elected to stop by in the spring for them to do the fix as I will be in the area anyways.
I highly recommend Lil Snoozy and do not have expectations for any brand trailer to achieve Toyota level quality. Even Toyota has recalls and imagine what their R & D budget looks like.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #37

NE Oklahoma
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the info.
I remember reading about the Rolls Royce and their record of never having problems.
Zero! lol. What was revealed was that there were problems but Rolls would just fix any problem up front so it was never recorded as a problem. So they could advertise as a history of zero defects. I think someone there must have worked for the government and use their numbers in their calculations.

One thing about it, egg owners are not stupid. lol. I learn loads every time I log into a forum and just bask in all the questions and knowledge floating around out there. I just got home from a little shopping. Wife bought groceries and I picked up a new Big Buddy Heater. I googled all the sources and found that Tractor Supply has the cheapest price around here right now. I picked it up for $109.99. The prices I found ran up to $158.92 on sale and that was WalMart from Tool King. So I'm ready for chilly camping. I can used it in the deer woods if nothing else or even for another emergency back up.

Their reviews were like Lil Snoozy. Mostly 5-stars. Wife is finally on board with the idea, so now she's kinda pushing me instead of me beating around the bush. haha. If the trailer itself didn't sell me, the service history so far would.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #38

Mike and Rosalie,
Did you get your fix squared away last month?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #39

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I found the Lil snoozy people to be very friendly, and they tried to help me with all my trailer problems. But, I was tired of all the problems that kept coming up with my Lil snoozy.

i had one of the first ten snoozys. I had a bathroom that didn't drain the shower well, had major trouble with the drainage of the black water tank, had a bedroom window that never did stop leaking, had a bathroom door that fell off the hinges, had an under the bed cabinet door that wouldn't stay shut, the couch was installed poorly and couldnt open up into a single bed, had a bathroom light that went out, had an electrical panel that came out from bouncing down the road....... There are more.

Returned twice to the factory, some fixes worked , and others didn't. They were friendly and super nice. But, I didn't like the hassle of returning, for a brand new trailer.
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #40

Michigan
Mine had a few similar problems that I fixed myself. A quality SYSTEM would minimize the assembly errors you experienced but I doubt any of the little FGRV companies think this way or feel they could afford the technical cost to set one up.

I'm curious, do the owners of new Scamps, Escapes, Egg Campers, Parkliners, Casitas, or stick built trailers from the big companies, or high dollar Airstreams even, see these same kind of "human" assembly errors?

Denny
www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com