Linoleum Tile, Any Issues? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
I'm wanting to install Armstong linoleum 12x12" glue down tile on the floor of my Trillium....Can anyone see why this wouldn't be a good idea?
It's seems like it would be easy to install, easy to keep clean and they have a wide range of really cool colours!
Here is the linoleum tiles that I'm looking at. http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/pr...p?item_id=97658

Thanks!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
What surface are you gluing down to? It needs to be very smooth and straight as they will show any imperfections. They are a bit heavy per square foot and will need a wax/polish to make them shiny. They are super strong and are pretty inexpensive per square foot. Great color selections.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well, playing devil's advocate, when they eventually wear out (or if one meets an early demise due to a dropped knife or etc.), you will have to deal with "ungluing" them and cleaning up the adhesive remains. On the other hand, a "lay in" floor comes right up, and/or one could cut a one-piece subfloor (thin ply or ...) and then glue to that.

I like roll/sheet linoleum or vinyl for the seamless aspect, but the tiles have neat geometric possibilities.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Emily,

A lot of people have used the home depot allure flooring - its a similar material to linoleum but you it's a floating floor - it does not stick to the floor you have. Here's the search result on the site for allure:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Afiber...lient=firefox-a
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
linolium tile like that does not have any backing, and will work itself loose unless it is placed on cement. the best kind of linolium to use is marmolium, by forbo, but it is expensive ($3.60 per sq ft USD)
Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #6

here's an alternate suggestion:

before you go with tiles, check to see if there are any linolium stores in your area that sell remnents, and you might be able to get a sheet piece to go in for really cheap. I was able to find a nice piece to do mine for $40.00!

If you do find a sheet, ask for some paper that the rolls come wrapped in. Then use that to make a pattern. Actually, doing the pattern will show you that cutting linolium to fit is NOT an easy job, but at least with the pattern you have some room for error. Just keep taping on a new edge until you get it just right. With some skill you can get a good pattern. With a pattern it is easy to cut your sheet to fit. then lay down your sheet, and once you see that it is cut right, you can pull it back to trowel down the glue. Be sure to use the glue recommended by the place you bought your remnent from.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Go with a sheet of linoleum . Forget the tiles.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #8

Registry
Thanks for all the great oppions and options.
I wanted to go with the lino tiles because I really like the funky colour choices.
I want to put in lime green and white tiles on the floor inside my green Trillium and don't think I can get something as cool in a sheet lino....
Am I wrong? Is there a maker of funky sheet lino?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks for all the great oppions and options.
I wanted to go with the lino tiles because I really like the funky colour choices.
I want to put in lime green and white tiles on the floor inside my green Trillium and don't think I can get something as cool in a sheet lino....
Am I wrong? Is there a maker of funky sheet lino?
If you're determined, there's always a way to make it work, it just requires extra work and some extra bucks.

My suggestion would be to get a sheet of lino... the cheapest you can find. Put that down... upside down! so the backside is up. Don't glue it down. Now, use that as a base for your squares. Glue to your hearts content. Use quarter round molding or flexible molding to anchor everything around the edges. If it gets damaged or worn out, you can pull up the molding and use the whole thing for a pattern again.

I only mentioned this, because I've seen it done in a bedroom and worked fabulously.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #10

There are some kind of neat sheet vinyls and linoleums; but it is generally a sea of endless repetition of "wood grain," "stone," and "kitchen" looks, isn't it.

I found some really neat geometric, funky, retro-modern vinyl patterns once, but can't find them now. Rats!

Here are a couple of others:

Marmoleum is a classic linoleum. The sheets are one color but they have some really intense colors and within each sheet there are some pretty neat swirls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	flooring_marmo_green.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	24967

http://www.forboflooringna.com/default.aspx?menuid=16

Some friends just re-did a room with Armstrong's version of Marmoleum, and it looked very similar (and is real linoleum), but was a good bit cheaper, they said.

Tarkett has some funky vinyl flooring. Try this collection:

Name:   flooring_bluegreen.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:   flooring_bubbles.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  17.3 KB

http://www.tarkettna.com/en/Products/Fiber...86/Default.aspx

Raya
Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #11

Registry
Thank you Donna and Raya!

I really like the Tarket Fiber Floor, Square Dance in the Mambo Fusion colour.....to top it off there is a dealer just down the road from me....Thanks for the great suggestions!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #12

I put that one up as an example thinking of your Trillium green

Cool that you can check it out in real life nearby!

Raya
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I put that one up as an example thinking of your Trillium green

Cool that you can check it out in real life nearby!

Raya
Miss Emily, there is a product at home Depot, it is a peel and stick, 12 x 12 inch tile, goes for about 1.09 a square foot. Now before you say no way, I have use this stuff in commercial settings, (bar & office), with a new subfloor, and the use of a product sold at home depot - Henri's adhesive tile enhanser (sp?) it stands up to traffic and temperture changes. These tiles are durables and have a no-wax finish to them.
The peel and stick tile stuff have come a long way from years ago, the key is the pre-treatment to enhance the glue. As for removal, easy, take a flat shovel and they pop off, the henri stuff must also act as some type sizing like for wallpaper. Just make sure you buy on the high end of the tiles because they are thicker
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
What surface are you gluing down to? [b]It needs to be very smooth and straight as they will show any imperfections. They are a bit heavy per square foot and will need a wax/polish to make them shiny. They are super strong and are pretty inexpensive per square foot. Great color selections.
I have that type of floor in my kitchen at home which I installed myself. Sub-floor preparation is critical; I had to lay 1/8" plywood over the old floor surface and use a leveling compound at all seams and nail heads, kind of like "mudding" a sheet-rock wall.

I like it because it is tough and will last a long time... in a building. I am concerned that a trailer floor would flex, opening up the cracks between the tiles. It is thick (for linoleum) and brittle, and heavy: one box weighs 25 pounds. It doesn't bend; it breaks. Donna D's suggestion makes the most sense to me if you are determined to put this in your trailer.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #15

Registry
I know what you guys mean about having an absolutly flat sub floor....we put the lino tiles in our bathroom and have a few "high" spots that are now showing through....20/20 hind sight!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
High spots will give you a problem with any kind of floor. As Frederick suggested, the vibrations of towing a trailer may bring on new high spots. We put sheet vinyl in a shed over plywood without filling the gaps, just to make it easier to sweep out the floor, and now I can see high and low spots a year and a half later.... without vibrations.
I like Donna's idea of laying lino over sheet lino, if you're looking for low emission flooring. If you're not one of us subject to a lot of sensitivity, I'd keep looking for a more forgiving vinyl product, and air out the trailer while it emits.
Linoleum is a more natural, low emission product; vinyl is more adaptable and forgiving, but higher emissions (off-gassing) are likely.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #17

I know what you mean about the funky colors.... my first choice was 'Bleeker Street' Marmolium by Forbo, but I have a wife that cried bloody murder about the cost (I won't tell you what she calls my trailer) so I opted for a remnent from a linolium store. The end result is nice, especially since I have a nice throw rug over it.

If you have any places that need leveling, I suggest DAP Flexible Floor Leveler.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
I know what you mean about the funky colors.... my first choice was 'Bleeker Street' Marmolium by Forbo, but I have a wife that cried bloody murder about the cost (I won't tell you what she calls my trailer) so I opted for a remnent from a linolium store. The end result is nice, especially since I have a nice throw rug over it.

If you have any places that need leveling, I suggest DAP Flexible Floor Leveler.
I'm a funky kinda girl and I want to carry that through to my trailer...funner the better!
Thanks for the leveling suggestion.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm a funky kinda girl and I want to carry that through to my trailer...funner the better!
Thanks for the leveling suggestion.
I am amazed at how bland the selections are at flooring stores - it all looks the same! Faux wood grains or faux tiles, take your pick. I asked, 'don't you have anything with some......... 'pzazz"', and they looked at me like I fell out of a tree....
Old 11-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I am amazed at how bland the selections are at flooring stores - it all looks the same! Faux wood grains or faux tiles, take your pick. I asked, 'don't you have anything with some......... 'pzazz"', and they looked at me like I fell out of a tree....
I agree, all look the same except different colors. That's why I'm going to paint my floor! That will take care of any high/low spots and I can make it any color or pattern I choose. I've also considered epoxy with chips. So many choices...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote