List of seals to restore old style scamp jaloused windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
After making sure everything is fitting correctly, I thought I would give a list of suppliers and part numbers of what worked on my old style jaloused windows in my 1976 scamp. I still have to completely assemble them, but when finished I'll put in a photo. I have the metal looking new by using water, steel wool and finished with Gord's polish. It's not perfect, due to some pitting, but I like the look of the old style. This was done as a word document for my files, and I tried to tweak it to look OK here with so so success.

Small jaloused window on door

1. Nylon friction pad (what arm of window glides on) - Part number = VTS-348 - $3.95 each

Supplier = Vintage trailer supply - www.vintagetrailersupply.com

2. Hehr standard back frame gasket (Seal between door and window) – Part number = VTS-199X

$39.99 (24 ft minimum roll) Supplier = Vintage trailer supply - www.vintagetrailersupply.com

3. Rubber molding (Seal between glass and aluminum) – Part number = 009-111 - $0.65 foot

Supplier = Interstate metal fabricators - www.interstatemetals.com/cat_windows2.htm

4. Galvanized steel insect screen (can be bent over edge-does not require edge spline)

Part number = VTS-543 - $26.76 roll - Supplier = Vintage trailer supply - www.vintagetrailersupply.com

Large jaloused window at each side of dinette

1. Torque operator left – Part number 008-191 – $6.95 each

Supplier = Interstate metal fabricators - www.interstatemetals.com/cat_windows2.htm

2. Rubber molding (located at top and over the outside of window) – Part number – 009-291 - $.065 foot

3. Vent closing seal (Seal that window goes against when closing) - Note: part numbers are different on website and what is ordered (Online = H110-390-2 / Per invoice = H009-289) - $1.65 foot

Supplier – Pelland Interprises Inc -www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=71

4. Glazing channel (Seal for glass in aluminum channel) – - Note: part numbers are different on website and

what is ordered (Online = H110-613 / Per invoice =H009-502) - $1.10 foot

Supplier – Pelland Interprises inc www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=71

Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
I'll be really interested to see a photo to find out if your windows are the same as mine. A few of these parts are ones I have not yet figured out the replacement for, so this could be extremely helpful.
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Extremely helpful info Danny, thanks for posting it
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Danny,

This is great information, and it sure seems to be hard to come by; so I sure appreciate that you have taken the time to post it. I'm just getting my list together for some spring window work.

Just out of curiosity: Can you tell if the larger windows are Hehr brand? Many of them (Burdick, for example) seem to take the same seals, but it would be a nice data point.

I'm assuming that your small windows are the Hehr type, like the one in this photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	window_second_gasket.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	25988

I'm going to add a couple of additional sources for materials you've listed. My source might be more expensive (Vintage, because they only sell in minimum size rolls), but OTOH if you already have an order in with them....

Quote:
[b]Small jaloused window on door
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/
2. Hehr standard back frame gasket (Seal between door and window) – Part number = VTS-199X

$39.99 (24 ft minimum roll) Supplier = Vintage trailer supply - www.vintagetrailersupply.com
Just one note, which is that according to VTS, " It is a replica of original Hehr part number 009-101." (This may be helpful info.)

3. Rubber molding (Seal between glass and aluminum) – Part number = 009-111 - $0.65 foot

Also sold by Vintage Trailer Supply as "Hehr Standard Glass Seal," under their part number VTS-195X. It comes in grey or black, and is $23.99 for a 24' roll. In their words, "This rubber bead is used on Hehr Standard windows and other Hehr windows used by many trailer manufacturers in the 1950s and later. It is a silicone rubber replica of original Hehr part number 09-111." Here is a photo of the one I am referencing:

Name:   glass_seal.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  3.0 KB

4. Galvanized steel insect screen (can be bent over edge-does not require edge spline)

Part number = VTS-543 - $26.76 roll - Supplier = Vintage trailer supply - www.vintagetrailersupply.com

[b]Large jaloused window at each side of dinette

Note: Burdick brand dinette jalousie windows (some 1970's Bolers made in Winnipeg - and maybe others) look to use many of the same seals)

1. Torque operator left – Part number 008-191 – $6.95 each

2. Rubber molding (located at top and over the outside of window) – Part number – 009-291 - $.065 foot

Note: Assuming we are talking about the same part (can you confirm?) this is also available from VTS, as "Jalousie Header and Sill Seal" (although I think it is only header seal on our windows, not sill seal), under their part number VTS-386, at $8.69 for a 10' length (grey). This is more expensive, but I wanted to put it here for future reference. Here is a photo of the one I am referencing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	seal.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	25990

3. Vent closing seal (Seal that window goes against when closing) - Note: part numbers are different on website and what is ordered (Online = H110-390-2 / Per invoice = H009-289) - $1.65 foot

Supplier – Pelland Interprises Inc -www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=71

Note: Score!

4. Glazing channel (Seal for glass in aluminum channel) – - Note: part numbers are different on website and

what is ordered (Online = H110-613 / Per invoice =H009-502) - $1.10 foot

Supplier – Pelland Interprises inc www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=71

Another great find :exactly
Raya
Attached Thumbnails
window_second_gasket.jpg  
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #5

Registry
Raya, the small door window is the Hehr window as shown, it has the Hehr wind-up handle marked. The larger side windows do not have a name or number on them, so I have no idea who made them. When finished I will upload 3 to 4 close up photo's so people can tell if theirs are similar.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #6

Registry
Note: Assuming we are talking about the same part (can you confirm?) this is also available from VTS, as "Jalousie Header and Sill Seal" (although I think it is only header seal on our windows, not sill seal), under their part number VTS-386, at $8.69 for a 10' length (grey). This is more expensive, but I wanted to put it here for future reference.

The one that I have posted is the same basic shape as the picture, but the long part has a curve to it that puts the end tight to the window.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #7

Registry
I have a question about the Vent Closing Seal. Is this the one that goes into a channel at the bottom edge of each window pane of the two-pane jalousie windows?

Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #8

Registry
Did you have any trouble installing the gasket that goes on the face of the glass on the small window? I can't get it to go under the metal.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #9

Registry
Amy, on my windows the vent closing seal is installed on the top of the movable windows and along the bottom and sides of the window frame that doesn't move.

I have not installed the gasket on the small window, but plan on used a hair dryer to warm it up to make the corners easier and help it lay flat. I try the test piece before I bought it and it seemed to fit fine.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #10

Registry
Well, after I asked the question about the small window gasket, I learned my answer. I had to disassemble the entire window and scrape off a layer of silicone that was forced under the metal and onto the glass. I then put on the gasket before putting the glass back in, and it was still a little difficult. But it seems to fit okay.

It sounds like your dinette windows might be quite different from mine, because I don't think those areas have any room for seals on mine. Darn.

Quote:
Amy, on my windows the vent closing seal is installed on the top of the movable windows and along the bottom and sides of the window frame that doesn't move.

I have not installed the gasket on the small window, but plan on used a hair dryer to warm it up to make the corners easier and help it lay flat. I try the test piece before I bought it and it seemed to fit fine.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm trying to visualize this. So on your dinette jalousies, the "flaps" don't have small rubber seals along the bottom edge?

Any chance you could post a photo? It sure would be nice to know if you have the "typical" square jalousies, since we know which gaskets fit on your windows.

Thanks,
Raya
Old 01-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #12

Registry
I should be able to get a photo latter this week. I would rather get a shot with the new seals, as they are black, rather that the original, which are grey and blend into the metal for photo details. I take a picture of each panel and the frame before they are installed and then afterward.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #13

Registry
Here are the images that I promised, to see if my window matches what you have.

1st image is front side of window frame without moveable panes
2nd image is top left showing #2 seal at top and #3 seal at side on large window
3rd image is bottom right corner showing #3 at the side

(Note: #1 and #3 images may be reversed because I don't know how they will be listed)
Additional shots of the small moveable panes with seals is next

Attached Thumbnails
P1040750.JPG   P1040751.JPG  

P1040753.JPG  
Old 01-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #14

Registry
Here are the images of the large windows moveable panes removed from the frame.

1st image is front side of window frame to show what the aluminum look like
2nd image is top left showing #2 seal. It runs along top of window. All the other seals are around glass.

3<sup>rd</sup> image is interior right side to show aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
P1040754.JPG   P1040756.JPG  

P1040758.JPG  
Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #15

Thanks, Danny!

Your windows look like they are the same or similar to mine, yet I'm almost sure mine have small seals along the bottom edge of the movable panes. I wonder if yours have never had them, or if maybe they are gone and you just don't know they should be there

I'll double check to see that I am not making that up, and then see if I can take and post some photos of what I mean.

Raya
Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #16

Registry
Raya, I checked and there is not a channel to put in another seal, along the bottom. The way mine works is the lower part of the moveable window seals against a seal that is either on the frame (the lower window) or against the seal on top of the lower window (which the top window uses at the bottom edge). As I see it, all the edges are sealed so additional seals should not be required.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #17

Okay, gotcha.

Let me look at mine again now that I've seen yours. Perhaps others with this type of window will chime in as well.

Raya
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #18

Registry
Just a note that on the series of 3 pictures for the Large window moveable panes, the correct seal is #3. It should have said "2nd image is top left showing #3 seal. It runs along top of window. All the other seals are around glass".

Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #19

Trailer: Aristocrat
this is great information - i'm working on a 69 Aristocrat and this is the 1st site that has given me good information on window seals.
thanks to everyone
Leroy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Dan, I'm finally to the point of sealing the jalousie windows on my Scamp. Before I order parts I just want to double check to make sure that we're talking about the same windows. I'll insert some photos and if you have a moment could you let me know? Thank you.
Attached Images

Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, windows