Little dogs.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I installed wood flooring in my "Nest Egg" and my 2 labs loved to sleep under the bed on the cool floor. Smaller dogs should have no problems.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Significant other

What is YMMV? One thing i always know, i may not ever have two dogs again at one time because it's twice the barking at absolutely nothing, I will always have a dog. Not having children, you must have an outlet for mothering something. I love my dogs like they are my children. So "where ever" they sleep, it will be a comfy cozy little den probably more plush than the camper. LOL

Shelly,

I love these posts because they're so not me. We don't have children either, hopefully by 40 they've reached adulthood. When our kids finally left home we were both sad and happy. It provided new opportunities.

Obviously you have a significant other by the 'we' in your posts. We have a simple rule "No pets, more petting". Part of RVing to me is occasionally slipping into your 'child' or your partner's..... and obviously most adults don't mind being mothered occasionallty.

I like pets, have owned a few and were stunned at their ends. However we decided when we began this adventure that they are not exactly cut out for RV living, nor is our small trailer.

One difference in our case is that we are on the road for long stretches and are not weekend, or week or even month campers. I'm sure for occasional campers pets are more justifiable.

Lightly written and with understanding of pet lover's feelings.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #17

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
We (Husband and I) sorry, wasn't very clear are just weekend warriors and an occasional week off. So for now it is ok but we have talked about this to some extent. One dog at a time from here on out. I am sure that will make rv ing with pets much easier. We have a bird as well but if we just go for the weekend we load up his food dishes and he stays home. But for weekly trips he goes along as well. He loves to go camping. I put him outside of the cage near the window with papers under him to protect the area and he is in 7th heaven. He watches all the activity outside the window and if you can believe it actually gets an attitude when it is time to go back in his cage. I wouldn't trade a one of them but like i said as each one goes to his happy doggy playground in the sky one will be the limit. I don't think i will ever be able to try the no pets more petting part though!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #18

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
We travel with our very active Boxer Lucy who won't abide being left out of anything. Her bed stays folded up under the bed/dinette during the day and after supper we set it up in front of the couch in our 13' Trill. She almost always wants in her bed before we leave the campfire and retire for the night. Yes she is in the way and we have to step around her as we get ready for bed and if we need to get up in the night but it works and at 55 lbs. there is really no place else for her as she is not allowed on the "furniture". Like everything in life you make compromises.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #19

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I have had LOTS of experiance taking as many as 15 little Maltese with me at one time in my Casita. (Yes, I was nuts, will never do it again I hope. That trip was work, not fun!) Anyway I had kennels in the car for the 12 puppies and the 3 adults did sleep in the bed with me.
I have tried many options in the past years, and have found that those little plastic carriers for cats work the best as my Maltese only weigh about 5 to 8 lb. I can put two adult dogs in a kennel easily. Those kennels will fit under the side dinette in my Casita and Scamp. I also have put those kennels under the rear bed that is a bed all the time. Also there is room right in the walk way for those little kennels with still enough room for humans to get out of bed to go to the bathroom, etc.
My suggestion is to get two of those small plastic kennels, and just experiment with what works best for you. If only one person is on the rear bed those kennels will fit on the bed with you and your furry friends can sleep in their beds next to you on your bed.
You should have NO problem finding a place for the dogs once you get your camper. Just get the smallest kennels you can find as they will be sleeping in them and not roaming around. Your dogs should be able to stand and streach in the small kennels. Like I said, I can get two dogs in one kennel, no problem. You could even put the kennels on the side dinette cushions for the night if not using that as a bed. You do have lots of options in these little campers. You will be surprised. Good luck in your search for a new to you "egg"
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #20

Iowa
Some things are just to special to go without!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #21

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Holly loves to share.
Actually it's the first ground squirrel that she has encountered and she's just wondering what to do with it. PS. She figured it out rather quickly.
She has a pet carrier that she sleeps in both at home and when on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
126 (1024x683).jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #22

Iowa
That squirrel doesn't know how lucky he is!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #23

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Ha! The Zen didn't last as long as it took to type this post....Kazaaaam!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
You might want to consider a soft dog crate - metal frame with washable nylon body as they fold flat and are easy to assemble so can be put out of the way when not in use. I had a friend that got one for her small dog and really liked it in their 5th wheel. We use the hard plastic for our dog which has the advantage of either containing the dog or if you put the top of the shell inside the bottom, you have an open bed area. Our dogs have always loved their crates and slept in them with the door open if we were not using them to confine the dog at home. In our campers, since we usually have big dogs, we could not use them and the dog just hogged all the floor space - night light was necessary to navigate at night! I believe that a responsible dog owner is a responsible dog owner despite whether they are in a house or in a camper and our dog(s) were always a delight to everyone - we pick up after them, they didn't bark, etc.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #25

Iowa
Thank you cathy, that is an idea i hadnt though of. Either way, i am going to see a camper tomorrow and will find out if i need one or if i can use the base of the Spirit small dinette seat. Will let you guys know. Thank you for all your thoughts.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #26

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well, i'm guessing my cocker will sleep under the dinette bed,,,as he likes sleeping in a den like spot, my rat terrier? well,,,,,anyone that has ever owned a rat terrier will tell you,,,she will be in bed with you,,,,she is queen,,,you have no say in this matter.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #27

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Send a message via Skype™ to Greybeard
FWIW, we just bought a 17' Casita SD and have an 18lb Bichon. Daisy loves to sleep on our bed, wherever it is and we don't usually allow it, especially while we are using it.
The arrangement we have evolved is for Dasiy to use her blanket on our always made up bed during the day and evenings when we are eating or watching TV and to sleep on her blanket on one of the side dinette seats at night.
We are on our first ever trip and the above has worked well for us.
This first trip has been a learning session for us all and so far things are working well. We live in Southern BC and are currently in San Diego, 2 weeks into what we hope will be a 2 month trip.
Good luck with your situation.
Richard, Carolyn and Dasiy
Old 01-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #28

Iowa
The front dinette seat will work. I won't be able to put a bed in there but a couple of fleece blankets folded up just right should be fine. Dave will have to make a door out of plexi glass with holes in it but i think it will work. Have to take them out there and have them try it out.