Little dogs.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Little dogs....

This is for those who have a casita, i am thinking about a casita and wondering what i would do with my dogs at night. We will be getting used to a smaller bed so they really can't sleep with us, plus they are very licky and restless so it is better if they have their own space at night. I really don't think i want to lock them in the bathroom because we will have to use that at night. Does anyone have any creative ideas about where i could put them? I have a 7 pounder and a 12 pounder i was thinking under the bed that would be made up full time but that is also a great place to store stuff. Maybe i could store stuff in the back and they could be more up front? Pictures would be appreciated if you have done an interesting mod. Thank you for your help in advance!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #2

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We have two little 'sort of Bichons' - about 10lbs apiece. We also have a Ventura - 13 footer. The dogs sleep very happily in their plastic kennels under the bed. The things we stuff under the bed aren't things we have to be able to get at quickly, easily or often so we just shove it back and put the kennels at the front. One dog had to get a new kennel because the one she was using was a teensy bit to tall.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1300 1980
What about like this ?

See the attaches picture.

We have a 13' Boler and used to travel with our three dogs:
- Pablo, 88 pounds,
- Kano,72 pound
- Mia, 45 pounds

a Lot of fun
Attached Thumbnails
047.jpg  
Guy, Boulianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

Iowa
Guy, looks like you have it set up just right. I think it is going to be hard with two dinky dogs let alone 3. Wow. Snug as a bug in a rug as they say. Hazel, so far that is the plan for us too, don't know what else to do.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Guy - did your dogs act like our kids and argue over possesion of the top bunk?

We had thought of setting our pooches kennels on the front couch, but they really didn't like feeling insecure and 'wobbly'. Apart from that we didn't have an easy place to put the junk we usually throw on the couch!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have four medium dogs and two always sleep in the car, in crates, though we do alternate which two those are. I don't camp where there are extremes of temperature, though, and all of mine are very comfortable sleeping in their crates.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
What floor plan are you thinking about?? The most popular is the side dinette then the big dinette is always down as a permanent bed.

So if you got that floor plan you could put one dog in the footwell of the side dinette and maybe the other under the bed. Or, perhaps they would both fit in the side dinette footwell.

My current little Lily is 11lbs and I know she'd fit under the side dinette. My previous dog as a 6 to 7 lb. I think that she would have fit with Lily under the side dinette. Maybe someone could measue the side dinette footwell to give you an idea of the size of that space.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

Iowa
Joy, i really don't know yet, i am hoping for a 17 foot Spirit but at this point we are still looking and could possibly end up with something else. I just want to be sure it has air and a bath and is clean. I thought of that, is it just an empty shell? I could doll it up inside there with their floral bed that may possibly fit in there...or the pillow covered with fleece. DH could modify the door with some plexi glass that has holes in it so it would provide air flow. They don't take up much room and by just looking at the pictures they should fit there. I want to be sure there is plenty of room to stand up turn around and stretch, I guess i am getting the cart before the horse any way. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ellen and Bret had a Casita FD and their two small dogs slept comfortably in the Captains chairs on their own blankets. Something perhaps to consider.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #10

Iowa
Donna, i just about have to contain them or they will be in bed with us licking us and wanting under the covers and then wanting back out in a few minutes cuz they are hot. They are not good bed buddies!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Problem children! Yep, maybe the SD and converting to "crate" space under the side couch would work the best for what you need.

Now, I'm not a pet parent... but I'd buy the trailer that works best for ME. Until a pet forks over cash as a co-buyer, they'd have to make do.. even if it meant crates in the tug. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #12

Iowa
What is YMMV? One thing i always know, i may not ever have two dogs again at one time because it's twice the barking at absolutely nothing, I will always have a dog. Not having children, you must have an outlet for mothering something. I love my dogs like they are my children. So "where ever" they sleep, it will be a comfy cozy little den probably more plush than the camper. LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (gone) 1985 Bigfoot
YMMV = your mileage may vary (i e your experience may not mirror mine)
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #14

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well, I was speaking of the footwell, the area where your feet go when you sit there. But you mentioned empty shell which made me think of the actual cabinet you sit on. I don't have a trailer like that but the wheel has to be under the rear side seat. So that means maybe the area under the front side seat could be modified as a little kennel. Humm!!

Again maybe someone out there with a 17 Casita could chime in.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I installed wood flooring in my "Nest Egg" and my 2 labs loved to sleep under the bed on the cool floor. Smaller dogs should have no problems.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Significant other

What is YMMV? One thing i always know, i may not ever have two dogs again at one time because it's twice the barking at absolutely nothing, I will always have a dog. Not having children, you must have an outlet for mothering something. I love my dogs like they are my children. So "where ever" they sleep, it will be a comfy cozy little den probably more plush than the camper. LOL

Shelly,

I love these posts because they're so not me. We don't have children either, hopefully by 40 they've reached adulthood. When our kids finally left home we were both sad and happy. It provided new opportunities.

Obviously you have a significant other by the 'we' in your posts. We have a simple rule "No pets, more petting". Part of RVing to me is occasionally slipping into your 'child' or your partner's..... and obviously most adults don't mind being mothered occasionallty.

I like pets, have owned a few and were stunned at their ends. However we decided when we began this adventure that they are not exactly cut out for RV living, nor is our small trailer.

One difference in our case is that we are on the road for long stretches and are not weekend, or week or even month campers. I'm sure for occasional campers pets are more justifiable.

Lightly written and with understanding of pet lover's feelings.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #17

Iowa
We (Husband and I) sorry, wasn't very clear are just weekend warriors and an occasional week off. So for now it is ok but we have talked about this to some extent. One dog at a time from here on out. I am sure that will make rv ing with pets much easier. We have a bird as well but if we just go for the weekend we load up his food dishes and he stays home. But for weekly trips he goes along as well. He loves to go camping. I put him outside of the cage near the window with papers under him to protect the area and he is in 7th heaven. He watches all the activity outside the window and if you can believe it actually gets an attitude when it is time to go back in his cage. I wouldn't trade a one of them but like i said as each one goes to his happy doggy playground in the sky one will be the limit. I don't think i will ever be able to try the no pets more petting part though!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #18

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
We travel with our very active Boxer Lucy who won't abide being left out of anything. Her bed stays folded up under the bed/dinette during the day and after supper we set it up in front of the couch in our 13' Trill. She almost always wants in her bed before we leave the campfire and retire for the night. Yes she is in the way and we have to step around her as we get ready for bed and if we need to get up in the night but it works and at 55 lbs. there is really no place else for her as she is not allowed on the "furniture". Like everything in life you make compromises.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I have had LOTS of experiance taking as many as 15 little Maltese with me at one time in my Casita. (Yes, I was nuts, will never do it again I hope. That trip was work, not fun!) Anyway I had kennels in the car for the 12 puppies and the 3 adults did sleep in the bed with me.
I have tried many options in the past years, and have found that those little plastic carriers for cats work the best as my Maltese only weigh about 5 to 8 lb. I can put two adult dogs in a kennel easily. Those kennels will fit under the side dinette in my Casita and Scamp. I also have put those kennels under the rear bed that is a bed all the time. Also there is room right in the walk way for those little kennels with still enough room for humans to get out of bed to go to the bathroom, etc.
My suggestion is to get two of those small plastic kennels, and just experiment with what works best for you. If only one person is on the rear bed those kennels will fit on the bed with you and your furry friends can sleep in their beds next to you on your bed.
You should have NO problem finding a place for the dogs once you get your camper. Just get the smallest kennels you can find as they will be sleeping in them and not roaming around. Your dogs should be able to stand and streach in the small kennels. Like I said, I can get two dogs in one kennel, no problem. You could even put the kennels on the side dinette cushions for the night if not using that as a bed. You do have lots of options in these little campers. You will be surprised. Good luck in your search for a new to you "egg"
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #20

Iowa
Some things are just to special to go without!