Little guys are apparently not wanted - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #21

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Aren't we being elitists by saying we're not because we're all molded owners and want to camp and not RV? I mean really??

I'm grateful for what I enjoy and own. I hope others, no matter what they chose to drive or pull feel the same way.

We have all manners of owners here on the forums. From the 13' owners to the 25' owners and everything in between. I don't worry about where I can't go. The fun is in where I can!
I agree Donna. I have had a variety of trailers....different sizes....over the years. We now have our 17ft Casita......our choice. We love our trailer.....and really enjoy the ease of towing it. The folks with the bigger rigs......if it makes em happy.......I am happy for them. Most folks we talk to while traveling are good people.....regardless of what they're towing or driving. Safe travels to all!!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I've run with the wealthy and I've run with the dirt poor.
It's not the amount of money people have but the people themselves.

I'm the dirt poor version, but with the right attitude some millionaires
let me hang out with them.........LOL

And there's some other dirt poor people I wouldn't hang out with.
Okay, 'nuff of the psychology lesson............LOL

I ran into an old acquaintance a few days ago who ain't rich but by
no means ain't poor. He was still blowing and going like always.
MR. BIGSHOT. Driving an older Jaquar. Older than dirt trying to be
young. haha. Told him I just sold my wittle gwass camper and he
began trying to sell me his humongous fifth wheel with slideouts.
And as before I just let him ramble on and on. Knew he wouldn't hear what I said anyway. He just enjoys hearing himself talk..........LOL

So far, the bigger rigs where I camped seemed to be a bit envious of
the small glass trailer. All admitted I could go where they couldn't and
could leave the trailer in the park and play the tourist in the tow.

And maybe it was the oddity of a glass trailer..........Not many around here.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I have been offered a tent camping spot, because we are small and would fit. The tent spot was right on the river front and a lot nicer spot than the regular camp spots. I have never been turned down at any of the camp grounds that we have visited in AZ. Most people that look at the shiny sides of our camper can't beleive that it is 13 years old, and those parks that don't want camper older than 10 years old, can't tell the real age, so we don't offer the real age.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Melanie,

There's a State Park over by Santa Cruz here in CA that turned me away. It's the only SP I've ever been turned away from.

They only allow self contained RV's. But I'm self contained. I have a gray water holding tank (26 gallons) and a porta potty that will last a minimum of 4 days. I only wanted to stay 2 nights. I had taken shower that morning so I wouldn't need one 'til after I left there .

Go figure!!!!!!!

On my list of "To Do's" is figuring out how to add a black water dump for my porta potty. Not sure when that will get done, I have to cogitate on it for awhile. There is a way but is there room in the Scamp.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #25

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think in fairness a lot of the folks in the giant RVs are full-timers, and that's their house, and as such might have a different set of interests/requirements for the kinds of places they want to stay.

Not my bag right now, but I guess I can get it, especially if some of the restrictions are about a facility not having bath houses etc for rigs that are not fully self contained.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #26

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Joy, just add the pipe for it and tell them "yup, got grey and black water drains to connect to" lol

I had an owner (who is the mother of a friend of mine), with a 35' 5th wheeler with 3 slideouts tell me they regret going bigger and bigger a lot of places they wanted to go they couldn't get into anymore and some campgrounds don't admit larger trailers because of their layout, not enough room for them to get in. I'm happy staying small.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post

On my list of "To Do's" is figuring out how to add a black water dump for my porta potty. Not sure when that will get done, I have to cogitate on it for awhile. There is a way but is there room in the Scamp.
The question is how would they ever know you didn't already have one? If you say you are self contained then you are.... heck a porta potty is self contained it has a holding tank all be it a small one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #28

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
It has been interesting reading all these comments. Regarding just telling the CG that you are self contained and don't need a bath house would not work with the one in Hilton Head. I explained we had a cassette toilet and did not need a black water line. The lady told me - no dice; a line was required. So I said okay and thank you - she had been friendly, just definite. I agree that no one type of RV suits all people and I especially understand how full timers want the big rigs. We did find it interesting last fall when we went to a CG in GA that was full of BIG, BIG rigs. They tucked us into the end of a row so we did not feel completely overwhelmed. Several of the big guys and gals came over and looked into our Snoozy - they were admiring of it and seemed to think it was quite cute. Then they went back to their "palaces" and I bet they were glad to have what they had chosen - just like we were glad. Takes all kinds.
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #29

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Melanie,

There's a State Park over by Santa Cruz here in CA that turned me away. It's the only SP I've ever been turned away from.

They only allow self contained RV's. But I'm self contained. I have a gray water holding tank (26 gallons) and a porta potty that will last a minimum of 4 days. I only wanted to stay 2 nights. I had taken shower that morning so I wouldn't need one 'til after I left there .

Go figure!!!!!!!

There are a number of State Beach Parks in California that are, basically, long parking lots created when sections of state hiway were abandoned.

Some of them have absolutely no facilities, no bathrooms, no showers, nada, nothing. Tenting isn't allowed either. As such they are concerned about campers that feel it's their right to dump porta-potties & grey tanks wherever they can..... So... no self-contained holding tanks = no parking... sorry.

But, for the self-contained, it is at least a parking place, usually right against the beach and, hopefully, that will mean more camping spaces at State Parks that can accommodate "Our Kind".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The question is how would they ever know you didn't already have one? If you say you are self contained then you are.... heck a porta potty is self contained it has a holding tank all be it a small one.
With a gray water holding tank, I do have the drain and dumb me answered the question about a shower (have none). Next time I'm asked I will tell them I am self contained, see the drain.

You know I still think I might like to have a way to dump into a hole inside that goes to the current gray drain via a "Y". It would capped inside. I'd be flushing the tube after I dump so it's not going to get stinky I'll just flush the black through and then flush lots of clear water to clean it maybe with a little clorox added.

Hey, you know I'm pretty much out of mod ideas so this one might be a stretch but the planning and plotting keeps the gray matter in my noggin.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
There are a number of State Beach Parks in California that are, basically, long parking lots created when sections of state hiway were abandoned.

Some of them have absolutely no facilities, no bathrooms, no showers, nada, nothing. Tenting isn't allowed either. As such they are concerned about campers that feel it's their right to dump porta-potties & grey tanks wherever they can..... So... no self-contained holding tanks = no parking... sorry.

But, for the self-contained, it is at least a parking place, usually right against the beach and, hopefully, that will mean more camping spaces at State Parks that can accommodate "Our Kind".

Yes, I know there are quite like you mention down south along the coast. I've actualling stayed in a couple with absolutely no hastle at all. I'm not a CA State Park person to start with, so I'm generally just looking for a one nights stay while on a trip. And that's if I'm hard up.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 04-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
dumb me answered the question about a shower (have none).
But wait! Don't you have a solar bag shower? Thats technically a shower is it not?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:45 AM   #33

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
Melanie,

Was this Seacliff state beach?
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #34

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There's only a few CA S.P.'s that have that limitation, but don't think for a New York minute that the rangers are dummies. They know that 13' Trailers usually aren't self contained and most will actually inspect your trailer as they did ours the one time we ran into that problem, with a 13' with front bath & a grey holding tank.

BUT... Outside shower panel was spotted and we got turned down. Seems they are wise to most peeps wanting to shower after being in salt water... and they don't want grey water, soap etc., rinsing off onto the ground, it's gotta go into the grey tank. whodathunkit?

The good news, those 100's of spaces for behemoth's only, mean fewer taking up spaces at the other parks. And, if they hadn't built them that way for $.01's, on abandoned right-of-way, there would be even more at the other parks.

But that doesn't help much when you need a space for your 13'.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote