Little guys are apparently not wanted - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Melanie,

There's a State Park over by Santa Cruz here in CA that turned me away. It's the only SP I've ever been turned away from.

They only allow self contained RV's. But I'm self contained. I have a gray water holding tank (26 gallons) and a porta potty that will last a minimum of 4 days. I only wanted to stay 2 nights. I had taken shower that morning so I wouldn't need one 'til after I left there .

Go figure!!!!!!!

On my list of "To Do's" is figuring out how to add a black water dump for my porta potty. Not sure when that will get done, I have to cogitate on it for awhile. There is a way but is there room in the Scamp.

There are a number of State Beach Parks in California that are, basically, long parking lots created when sections of state hiway were abandoned.

Some of them have absolutely no facilities, no bathrooms, no showers, nada, nothing. Tenting isn't allowed either. As such they are concerned about campers that feel it's their right to dump porta-potties & grey tanks wherever they can..... So... no self-contained holding tanks = no parking... sorry.

But, for the self-contained, it is at least a parking place, usually right against the beach and, hopefully, that will mean more camping spaces at State Parks that can accommodate "Our Kind".

Old 04-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The question is how would they ever know you didn't already have one? If you say you are self contained then you are.... heck a porta potty is self contained it has a holding tank all be it a small one.
With a gray water holding tank, I do have the drain and dumb me answered the question about a shower (have none). Next time I'm asked I will tell them I am self contained, see the drain.

You know I still think I might like to have a way to dump into a hole inside that goes to the current gray drain via a "Y". It would capped inside. I'd be flushing the tube after I dump so it's not going to get stinky I'll just flush the black through and then flush lots of clear water to clean it maybe with a little clorox added.

Hey, you know I'm pretty much out of mod ideas so this one might be a stretch but the planning and plotting keeps the gray matter in my noggin.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #31

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
There are a number of State Beach Parks in California that are, basically, long parking lots created when sections of state hiway were abandoned.

Some of them have absolutely no facilities, no bathrooms, no showers, nada, nothing. Tenting isn't allowed either. As such they are concerned about campers that feel it's their right to dump porta-potties & grey tanks wherever they can..... So... no self-contained holding tanks = no parking... sorry.

But, for the self-contained, it is at least a parking place, usually right against the beach and, hopefully, that will mean more camping spaces at State Parks that can accommodate "Our Kind".

Yes, I know there are quite like you mention down south along the coast. I've actualling stayed in a couple with absolutely no hastle at all. I'm not a CA State Park person to start with, so I'm generally just looking for a one nights stay while on a trip. And that's if I'm hard up.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
dumb me answered the question about a shower (have none).
But wait! Don't you have a solar bag shower? Thats technically a shower is it not?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:45 AM   #33

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
Melanie,

There's a State Park over by Santa Cruz here in CA that turned me away. It's the only SP I've ever been turned away from.
Was this Seacliff state beach?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
There's only a few CA S.P.'s that have that limitation, but don't think for a New York minute that the rangers are dummies. They know that 13' Trailers usually aren't self contained and most will actually inspect your trailer as they did ours the one time we ran into that problem, with a 13' with front bath & a grey holding tank.

BUT... Outside shower panel was spotted and we got turned down. Seems they are wise to most peeps wanting to shower after being in salt water... and they don't want grey water, soap etc., rinsing off onto the ground, it's gotta go into the grey tank. whodathunkit?

The good news, those 100's of spaces for behemoth's only, mean fewer taking up spaces at the other parks. And, if they hadn't built them that way for $.01's, on abandoned right-of-way, there would be even more at the other parks.

But that doesn't help much when you need a space for your 13'.