Little guys are apparently not wanted - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #1

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Little guys are apparently not wanted

We got our Lil Snoozy last November and have taken it on only 3 trips. This week I started planning out 2 trips for May and June - one to the coast of NC and one in Georgia (planning to haul Marigold to Huntsville AL to my son's house to take him a china cabinet that my husband built - it will ride in the Snoozy). After visiting with them we are going to GA for several days to see the Andersonville Civil War site and some other spots. I was very surprised in my search for campgrounds to find some only want motorcoaches (us little guys are not welcome, apparently). We also wanted to go to Hilton Head and stay at the Hilton Head Harbor RV and Marina Resort - it got really good reviews. But the lady told me that we had to have a black water line to stay there. Our Marigold has a Thetford cassette toilet. She said the lots are private owned and black water lines are required. So - not for us apparently. This has been an education for me - just as well that we learn now. Last fall when we stayed at a large park in the NC mountains, we were surrounded by giant coaches and felt quite dainty in comparison! At least they did not turn us away as unworthy!
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Unfortunately, there are "Motorcoach" parks. They look at the restrictions as keeping out the riff raff..like having a small rig is trashy or something..who knows the mentality.

The GOOD news is, if they have those kind of restrictions, it's not a place you WANT to stay anyway.

The park I am working in now allows anything, as long as it doesn't involve tarps. The park is clean, nice, and a brand new section just opened that rivals any "resort" park around. Everyone here is HAPPY.

The park I am going to go work next winter in Northern Cal actually has a section specifically designed for Pop Ups and small rigs. Small rigs are allowed in the Big Boy territory, but they designed the park with the type of experience most smaller rigs like.."camping" not RVing. I look forward to being there.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #3

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
I really don't mean to criticize people who want those big motorcoaches - it takes all kinds of folks to make up the world. But for us - we feel the Lil Snoozy gives us a feeling of "camping" and still being quite comfortable - in the past we camped in tents, slept on the ground, and cooked over a campfire. Lil Snoozy camping is downright decadent - of course, we are much older now and cold ground has lost its charm. If I want all the comforts of home, I will stay home and enjoy my house. These small campers give me the feeling of doing something different and "a bit wild". To each his own - I think those campgrounds will be missing something by excluding "the eccentric egg and other small campers".
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Many times it's because the RV Resort Parks do not have public restrooms or showers. They expect everyone to be self contained. If all they cater to is that type of rig, I'm not really interested in being there. I have not had any problem finding welcome campgrounds here in Michigan. The 'keep out small rigs' parks are in the minority here. So it may just be the area you are looking in.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Normally they just ask you if you are self contained or your trailer has to be over x so many feet long. Can you not add a short slicky hose to your cassette to dump it at the site?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Or just hang a back hose from the trailer and feed the other end into the hole. I doubt they would ever have you "show them it works" while you were there.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
NC here also. We use to have a 35 ft 5er with three slides before we down sized. Now we find it more fun to stay at campground that have no hookups. There we are usually the big unit on the block. Lol
Old 04-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Or just hang a back hose from the trailer and feed the other end into the hole. I doubt they would ever have you "show them it works" while you were there.
LOL
That was my thinking also.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RV "Resorts" do not = "Campgrounds".... I avoid them like the plague

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #10

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Yea....I agree. While you're at it.....take a kids wading pool with you.....sit in a camping chair with your feet in the pool......wear one of those construction hats that hold two beer cans with a straw running down to your mouth......and tell the office you're thinkin bout stayin for a few months but are waiting to hear if the kids are gonna make it down now that they got over that serious rash problem and they got reinstated by the welfare board. String up a clothes line while you at it......that'll show those big guys that us little guys ain't nothin to mess with!!!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Or mabey shoot looped footage of the Griswalds brother in law empying the RV from your portable projector onto the side of your trailer at night and then hang police line tape around your campsite.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #12

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
I'm sure there are some really nice people in those kinds of parks. But to my mind the really good news are that some of the best campgrounds in the world are off limits to those class A behemoths. These rules are enforced by the laws of physics.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #13

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I have zero interest in a campground like that. I prefer bein off road a bit...but prefer no hookups... Its true its the combination of the camping experience and just enough comforts to keep it fun!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I can see wanting to stay a night or two where it is convenient. I also spent more than a few years in early adulthood living in a sho-nuff trailer park and have no interest in traveling somewhere just to sit and look at the back of some behemoth trailer of motor home.

I actually had a reverse experience recently. In planning a late summer trip I read one campground had "primitive" camping only and and also only mentioned tents. On the face of it appeared trailers were not accommodated. A quick e-mail elicited the response that they were fine with me "sleeping in my camper". This is good as I just cut up my old tent camping foam to make a additional pad for my Scamp’s bed!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We met some folks with a motor coach while camped at Oregon Inlet in N.C. They spent thousands for lot in one of those places in S.C. There was a monthly maintenance fee and an "association". Potted flowers were fine but no tomatoes plants. That sort of thing. Sounded more like a retirement community than a campground. Each to his own. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
About 15 years ago I did a trip down the Oregon coast in a brand new motor home. Pulled in late one evening to what looked to be what I would call a gated RV park :-) for a quick 1 night stop over and there told that as the motor home was only 24' long we could not stay there. If I recall it had to be more than 25' - maybe longer - can't recall ..... found a much nicer state park with room for us a few miles down the road.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I came across the same elitist attitudes in the boating world....marina's that wouldn't take a boat under 30 feet (mine was 27 and I was willing to pay them for the additional 3 feet (marina's generally charge by the foot overall length))

Its every where you go....I went elsewhere and was happy.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Wonder if the marina would have said the same thing to Dennis Conner if he wanted to dock a Lighting there
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
We pulled into one of those one day passing through Nova Scotia. Recognized the rows organized by size as we drove up the long steep narrow driveway with nowhere to turn around. We looked at eachother and said no way, we will drive through and leave. When we got to the end of the first campground road there was a large field surrounded by trees with a lone boler boondocking. We ended up staying, met Luc and Tina from Quebec who became members here.

Lesson learned - things may not always be as they appear. Many places have an "overflow" area that they will let you stop for a night at least.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Aren't we being elitists by saying we're not because we're all molded owners and want to camp and not RV? I mean really??

I'm grateful for what I enjoy and own. I hope others, no matter what they chose to drive or pull feel the same way.

We have all manners of owners here on the forums. From the 13' owners to the 25' owners and everything in between. I don't worry about where I can't go. The fun is in where I can!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote