location of license plate - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
location of license plate

The license plate on my Burrito is on the right side of the camper (came to me that way). I know that they are typically on the left side or center and never on the right, but I have not yet been able to find any LAW that requires this location. Trailer is registered in Mass. Does anyone know if this is an illegal location? I have not hauled it around too many times but have never been stopped and don't want to be.

rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I have seen lots of boat trailers with the licence plate mounted on the right. Cant say what the law may be in your neck of the woods but in BC it says they only need to be:

- securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle

- must be kept entirely unobstructed and free from dirt or foreign material, so that the numbers and letters on it may be plainly seen and read at all times and so that the numbers and letters may be accurately photographed using a speed monitoring device or traffic light safety device

- Also need to have a light on them at night.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post The California Vehicle Code

California Vehicle Code Section 5201 Positioning of Plates

Originally Posted by Section 5201
License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground...
There is no mention of Left or Right sides, so either is acceptable.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Coachman
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Speaking from 29 years, 7 months experience. Campers have never really been a big concern in the law enforcement world. Most criminals don't ride around in campers. Oh I'm sure some do, but in the big picture it's never been a real concern.. At least here in N.C. As long as its mounted somewhere visible you will be ok.
“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
OK, thanks everyone. Since my plate meets all the visibility requirements, I will leave it in its current location, but will now sleep better.

rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote