Location of New Power Converter & Outlets - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I understand this but I think any modern converter will have the same profile and size.
I'm not sure that is true. If you look at the converter I linked in post #18 you will see it lacks the large face plate that is problematic.

Quote:
If it has not been determined yet whether the old one even works then that may be a first step.
If it doesn't and really is simply a 12vdc transformer then that should be easy to replace with another transformer and avoid all of this other stuff.
Not really an ideal solution but a simple one.
The original is just a transformer with a bridge rectifier and an integral fuse panel. Essentially like an old fashioned large battery charger.

Quote:
I am not that familiar with the trailer here so I can not suggest a specific design without knowing the layout better but I am just saying that either it needs to be enclosed in a wall or built in to something so it can remain stationary wherever it sits.
She could build a box that allows the front to face upward and stick it in a storage cubby, but she is trying to reclaim the storage space the old inverrter took up. That is why I suggested sticking the more compact inverter into the dead recesses under the furnace and locating the fuse panel where it is accessible.
__________________

__________________
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,000
Gentlemen and listening ladies, the Uhaul converter there now, has no cord,
or fuse panel attached to it or the old battery box. I did take the trailer to the RV repair man for an estimate on putting in new wires and 12 volt system. 2 110 outlets and install new converter. Brought the trailer home yesterday evening because...well no way will I pay the extremely high costs they quoted me.
I had also asked them to see if uhaul converter is working. They did not check it out. So I think maybe all I need to do is to connect the converter to the battery and get a 12 volt light buld in the socket and stick it to it? If it lites up it works, Right?
I have a new battery 24 group deep cell Optima, the guy said DO NOT OVERCHARGE this battery, so that was my other thought for new charger.
I realize the new chargers have a fuse panel on them, I realize I can build a box, my thinking was upon a new one to get a deck mount inteli power.
There is a warning on the New converter that says " DO NOT MOUNT IN CABINET,
or near a battery, or LP gas" MUST VENT, may arc. I am afraid I am going to have to learn fast and do this work myself. I am not afraid...my desire to be in the woods is great so I will do what is necessary.
I will save all Uhaul parts if I remove them Thomas, Thanks.
Ed, Bob, Brook, to all, I am thankful and appreciative of your responses. I am reading them all and thinking about them.
__________________

__________________
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Updating Converters

A converter is much more than a "DC Transformer". In the first place there is no such animal, transformers in converters have to be a/c and, in a converter panel, a transformer is used to drop the 120 VAC to about 20 VAC, which is then converted, using diodes and filters etc., to about 14 VDC for battery charginging and 12 VDC for accessories.
Older converters were very simple and were well known for under or over charging batteries, modern converters use three stage, microprocessor controlled, battery charging circuits to not only charge the battery at high and low (maintenance) rates, they will also send a high voltage short term charge every 21 hours or so to desulfate the plates, leading to better and longer battery performance.
When most of our older trailers were built we din't think about adding TV's, DVD Players, stellite systems, Toaster ovens and all the other "stuff" we now find essential, as a result the older power distribution systems may no longer be adequate.
When I rewired my 1968 Airstream many years ago all I had was a battery charger, a huge 8D battery, a couple of fuses and a piece of plywood with a bunch of screws for terminal on it to work with.
Unless being authentic/original is critical, that just won't hack it today. However, if you want to keep the "Original" appearance, Intel-Power also has free standing converters than can be wired into existing power dist. panels, as well as one that is an exact fit into the lower section of some of the older "Brown Box" units. There is also a surface mounting 20 circuit fuse panel available at VINtek.
In the case of the mentioned mounting problem, I can't see any reason whatsoever why a converter can't be mounted into the space below the dinette seats, as it is in my Scamp and will soon be in my own Hunter Compact-II
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
A converter is much more than a "DC Transformer". In the first place there is no such animal, transformers in converters have to be a/c and, in a converter panel, a transformer is used to drop the 120 VAC to about 20 VAC, which is then converted, using diodes and filters etc., to about 14 VDC for battery charginging and 12 VDC for accessories.
Older converters were very simple and were well known for under or over charging batteries, modern converters use three stage, microprocessor controlled, battery charging circuits to not only charge the battery at high and low (maintenance) rates, they will also send a high voltage short term charge every 21 hours or so to desulfate the plates, leading to better and longer battery performance.
When most of our older trailers were built we din't think about adding TV's, DVD Players, stellite systems, Toaster ovens and all the other "stuff" we now find essential, as a result the older power distribution systems may no longer be adequate.
When I rewired my 1968 Airstream many years ago all I had was a battery charger, a huge 8D battery, a couple of fuses and a piece of plywood with a bunch of screws for terminal on it to work with.
Unless being authentic/original is critical, that just won't hack it today. However, if you want to keep the "Original" appearance, Intel-Power also has free standing converters than can be wired into existing power dist. panels, as well as one that is an exact fit into the lower section of some of the older "Brown Box" units. There is also a surface mounting 20 circuit fuse panel available at VINtek.
In the case of the mentioned mounting problem, I can't see any reason whatsoever why a converter can't be mounted into the space below the dinette seats, as it is in my Scamp and will soon be in my own Hunter Compact-II
Bob, Thanks for the information. I need it and appreciate it. I think the difference between the Scamp and the Uhaul is in the Scamp the Battery is located on the tongue so it is near the converter located in cabinet under front bench cabinet. The Uhaul battery is under the rear middle seat cabinet next to the converter. Todays deep cell batteries are exspensive,
I agree do not want to over or under charge it. I am headed out to the trailer to measure some places now... will get back shortly. Thanks
__________________
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
..... So I think maybe all I need to do is to connect the converter to the battery and get a 12 volt light bulb in the socket and stick it to it? If it lites up it works, Right?
...........
OK, if you are gonna be a trailer repair person , ya gotta break down and buy a multimeter. You can get an adequate one for $10, free with the right Harbor Freight coupon. Strip back the 110v AC wires where they are cut off and use wire nuts (Google it) to attach an old length of extension cord. Plug it in. You should get about 13 or so volts at the fuse panel. Or if you have your heart set on a new high tech charger, sell the old one and buy a smaller converter with smart charging capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
...snip.....
I will save all Uhaul parts if I remove them Thomas, Thanks.
.....snip.....
Thanks. I guess I'm just sentimental, but I really hate seeing unreplaceable parts go into the dump.
__________________
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #34
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,220
Registry
It sounds like it's made more for a 'stick built' trailer than one of ours. Is there any chance that it can be laid on it's back and attached to the floor? (i.e. use the 'floor' as the 'wall' surface to attach to.
If you don't have a furnace like I do (took mine out) you might be able to put it inside that cavity?

You also might have to pack less stuff to make room for it.

I paid the price and had my wiring redone. It was expensive, but the wireing was in poor shape and I am a worry wart. They put in a new breaker and made sure all the hookups, etc were correct for my converter. Luckily, my original converter (inverter?) still works fine. But when it goes, I might have the same problem as you.
__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
[QUOTE="D Davis"]
Bob, Thanks for the information. I need it and appreciate it. I think the difference between the Scamp and the Uhaul is in the Scamp the Battery is located on the tongue so it is near the converter located in cabinet under front bench cabinet. T/QUOTE]

Actually on my Scamp & most others I have seen the converter is located in the back bench so there is a fairly long run from the battery to the converter.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Actually on my Scamp & most others I have seen the converter is located in the back bench so there is a fairly long run from the battery to the converter.
You can separate the converter and the battery, but you need to upgage the wire because the battery charge rate is very sensitive to voltage - kind of like the tow vehicle charge wire gauge discussion.
__________________
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,000
Do it yourself dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
OK, if you are gonna be a trailer repair person , ya gotta break down and buy a multimeter. You can get an adequate one for $10, free with the right Harbor Freight coupon. Strip back the 110v AC wires where they are cut off and use wire nuts (Google it) to attach an old length of extension cord. Plug it in. You should get about 13 or so volts at the fuse panel. Or if you have your heart set on a new high tech charger, sell the old one and buy a smaller converter with smart charging capability.



Thanks. I guess I'm just sentimental, but I really hate seeing unreplaceable parts go into the dump.
HA! Thomas, guess you are laughing now A gray haired but young at heart woman trying to wire a trailer. Yep, got a multimeter...don't know what it means or how to use it yet, but I got one! Got a wire stripper, wire nuts, went out and priced wire today. I Keep telling myself...How hard could this be. How hard could this be...
I am trying to sell the WFCO 8955 Power center Converter/Charger
I'm cheap, don't want to pay the costs to mail back. HA
We shall see how this goes, will work on it this Saturday. It's raining here now and I have no power in the trailer.
__________________
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,000
Upgage wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You can separate the converter and the battery, but you need to upgage the wire because the battery charge rate is very sensitive to voltage - kind of like the tow vehicle charge wire gauge discussion.
Upgage...Does that mean a larger diameter wire?
__________________
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,000
Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
It sounds like it's made more for a 'stick built' trailer than one of ours. Is there any chance that it can be laid on it's back and attached to the floor? (i.e. use the 'floor' as the 'wall' surface to attach to.
If you don't have a furnace like I do (took mine out) you might be able to put it inside that cavity?

You also might have to pack less stuff to make room for it.

I paid the price and had my wiring redone. It was expensive, but the wireing was in poor shape and I am a worry wart. They put in a new breaker and made sure all the hookups, etc were correct for my converter. Luckily, my original converter (inverter?) still works fine. But when it goes, I might have the same problem as you.
Thanks Pam and Carol for your responses! Still have the old furnace just put it back in, don't know yet if it works. Wiring comes first. I appreciate all responses.
__________________
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You can separate the converter and the battery, but you need to upgage the wire because the battery charge rate is very sensitive to voltage - kind of like the tow vehicle charge wire gauge discussion.
I will read the Tow Vehicle charge wire guage discussion, Thanks!
__________________
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Upgage...Does that mean a larger diameter wire?
Yes. How are you coming on the DC Wiring manual?
__________________

__________________
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone try this power converter DannyH Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 12-04-2009 12:56 PM
Power Converter & Breaker Box $60 kentj Classified Archives 2 04-28-2008 11:51 PM
Power Converter Chester Taje Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 14 08-10-2007 11:24 AM
Power Converter gerry gregory Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 09-01-2006 12:18 AM
Power Converter Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 05-25-2003 08:02 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.