Location of New Power Converter & Outlets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Location of New Power Converter & Outlets

Hi folks, seeking information, suggestions and advice on the location of New WFCO 8955 Power Center Converter Charger with it's own fuse panel
in a Uhaul ct13. Along with (2) 110 outlets and (1) 12 volt outlet.
I am just trying to take in information now as I have already bought this thing. If I decide not to use it, it will be for sale. (I have no power now just a household extension cord, all 12volt wires cut)

My location concern is:
1. The power Center needs ventilation and is wall mounted, I am at a loss as to were to locate it without losing valuable storage space under bed, as I will be storing clothes and stuff under the Dinette/Bed, which I will leave in Bed position.
2. I do not feel good about cutting anymore large holes in the fiberglass
rear bench. Won't it hurt the support strength for the bed?

Battery Location: I have taken the majority advice here and decided to leave the battery inside in it's original location and vented.

Location of outlets: My thoughts,
1. 12 volt outlet above the ashtry to the left of sink cabinet. HA, it will look like a cigarette lighter.
2. First 110 outlet to the left of this same ashtray.
3. Second 110 outlet on wall left and above the second ashtray.
Second ashtry is located on the right outside wall of storage closet.
4. Alternate location to the right side of stove cabinet.

Front Bunk: Future plans are to turn front bunk into Front Dinette that can be converted back to single bed if needed. Upper bunk is gone and I wouldn't use that anyway.

Things I want to plug in When I have shore power: Coffee pot, Radio/CD player, toaster oven. I do not have a TV, never watched it in the woods,
never missed it. But one rainy day I might want one. I am putting in a vent fan also.

It has been suggested to me to try and use the Original Uhaul Power converter if I still had it. It's there but rusted and the cord has been cut off. However, if this would accomadate my needs best then I will sell the new WFCO 8955 power center converter.

My trailer also has a room size window unit air conditioner in the rear half of the window. One day I will remove it and replace the window.
For now just want the power working.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
My location concern is:
1. The power Center needs ventilation and is wall mounted, I am at a loss as to were to locate it without losing valuable storage space under bed, as I will be storing clothes and stuff under the Dinette/Bed, which I will leave in Bed position.
2. I do not feel good about cutting anymore large holes in the fiberglass
rear bench. Won't it hurt the support strength for the bed?
Do you still have the furnace? If not you could mount it there. You might mount it to the floor with an adapter bracket and locate it over by the water tank, freeing up the right rear compartment. Or mount it sideways. I doubt it has to be level to work.

Quote:
Location of outlets: My thoughts,
1. 12 volt outlet above the ashtry to the left of sink cabinet. HA, it will look like a cigarette lighter.
2. First 110 outlet to the left of this same ashtray.
3. Second 110 outlet on wall left and above the second ashtray.
Second ashtry is located on the right outside wall of storage closet.
4. Alternate location to the right side of stove cabinet.
I plan to pop out the inner removable ashtray and put a 12 volt outlet in the remaining socket so it is recessed. I hate making new holes.
Is your original 110 outlet over the sink, on the end of the cabinet still there? Not a bad place and there should be a hole there already. You will want to use braided wire for 110volt wiring and 12 gauge would be a good idea if using toaster oven.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
If I understand your post correctly you really just want to know where or how to mount the new converter?

It seems obvious to me to first try to get it where the U-Haul one is?
I would take out the old one as it is likely not much more than a transformer that can also bulk charge a battery?
If the new one has a modern multi-stage charger in it then your battery will more properly be charged and in all ways it should be better than the old one.

If the new converter does not fit where the old one is then you will need to decide where it can live and move it in there.

If you need to cut a hole for it and are worried about the strength of the remaining fiberglass you can reinforce the hole opening once it is cut.

You could also build a box for it and surface mount it somewhere but not really knowing your rig it is tough to get more specific for me.

It doesn't really matter where or how many outlets you have or install as long as you have as many as you need.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Do you still have the furnace? If not you could mount it there. You might mount it to the floor with an adapter bracket and locate it over by the water tank, freeing up the right rear compartment. Or mount it sideways. I doubt it has to be level to work.

I plan to pop out the inner removable ashtray and put a 12 volt outlet in the remaining socket so it is recessed. I hate making new holes.
Is your original 110 outlet over the sink, on the end of the cabinet still there? Not a bad place and there should be a hole there already. You will want to use braided wire for 110volt wiring and 12 gauge would be a good idea if using toaster oven.
Thomas, Oh "Electric King"... I will use your suggested wire gauge and type. Thanks.
I think the ashtrays are cute.(That's a woman for ya) But that is an excellent location suggestion for the 110 outlets.
My concern about the location...of converter, it's need for ventilation verses my need for storage. Folks say, it should be as near battery as possible The measurements are 13.875" Wide X 11.62" high and 9" deep
The above kitchen sink is valuable storage area...and I agree, I hate to cut the fiberglass.

I do still have the furnace, rusted and Don't know if it works, But need heat, camp in winter. Another forum maybe. What about below the heater?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #5

Virginia
3 Stage Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
If I understand your post correctly you really just want to know where or how to mount the new converter?

I would take out the old one as it is likely not much more than a transformer that can also bulk charge a battery?
If the new one has a modern multi-stage charger in it then your battery will more properly be charged and in all ways it should be better than the old one.

If the new converter does not fit where the old one is then you will need to decide where it can live and move it in there.

If you need to cut a hole for it and are worried about the strength of the remaining fiberglass you can reinforce the hole opening once it is cut.

You could also build a box for it and surface mount it somewhere but not really knowing your rig it is tough to get more specific for me.

It doesn't really matter where or how many outlets you have or install as long as you have as many as you need.
Ed, Thanks, the converter cannot go where the old one is because it needs to be wall mounted and needs ventilation. The old is located, inside the left rear compartment.
Here is a link for the cinverter:
WFCO 55 amp POWER CENTER Converter Battery Charger RV WFCO8955MBA | eBay
Old 02-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #6

Virginia
Actual Power Converter link

Quote:

Thomas, this is the link to the power converter:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Ed, Thanks, the converter cannot go where the old one is because it needs to be wall mounted and needs ventilation. The old is located, inside the left rear compartment.
Here is a link for the cinverter:
WFCO 55 amp POWER CENTER Converter Battery Charger RV WFCO8955MBA | eBay
If there is space inside the compartment where the old one is then why not just build a box around the new one and stick it in the same spot?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
........ What about below the heater?
That might work. It is kind of wasted space now. But, wow, almost a foot high.........
Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
If there is space inside the compartment where the old one is then why not just build a box around the new one and stick it in the same spot?
If you look at an illustration of this converter, it is really made to be wall mounted with full access to the face.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
The repair man said I need to ventilate it and wall mount it to the inside of trailer. The panel on front of the power center lifts up to change or add fuses and breakers etc. Old converter location even with a box... well I might have to be a contortionist to get to it
Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #11

Virginia
Quote:
If you look at an illustration of this converter, it is really made to be wall mounted with full access to the face.
That's Right Thomas...I am listening to what you think.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
That's Right Thomas...I am listening to what you think.

Hmmm...maybe under furnace with face toward front of trailer, by door?

Depends on height of converter where it has to clear underside of furnace.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #13

Virginia
Quote:
That might work. It is kind of wasted space now. But, wow, almost a foot high.........
Do you think I should sell it and get a different one? This is what the repair man said most the manufacturer's were putting in new
campers now.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #14

I fully understand what both of you are saying regarding the Converter box and access to it.
I am just thinking a little "Outside the Box" as far as installation as you seem determined to not install it where you might if you cut a hole for it?

By building a box around it you would be "putting it in a wall" and I am sure it would still get adequate ventilation if the old one did in that same spot.

The need for access is really for when you are installing it and if you need to change a blown fuse but otherwise not really an issue. If you can stick it where you can reach it then you can change a fuse.

The ideal will be to find a spot,cut a hole and away you go but short of that.........
Old 02-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #15

Virginia
Quote:
Hmmm...maybe under furnace with face toward front of trailer, by door?

Depends on height of converter where it has to clear underside of furnace.
I had thought of that too...Looking inside of that space I saw the LP Gas pipe and below a wheel well. Just not sure, and does it nee to be next to the battery?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #16

Virginia
Quote:
I fully understand what both of you are saying regarding the Converter box and access to it.
I am just thinking a little "Outside the Box" as far as installation as you seem determined to not install it where you might if you cut a hole for it?

By building a box around it you would be "putting it in a wall" and I am sure it would still get adequate ventilation if the old one did in that same spot.

The need for access is really for when you are installing it and if you need to change a blown fuse but otherwise not really an issue. If you can stick it where you can reach it then you can change a fuse.

The ideal will be to find a spot,cut a hole and away you go but short of that.........
Ed, I understand. So, If building a box where the old one is, mounting the thing, and If I can get to it when necessary...well yes, I like hiding it better than cutting a new Big hole in the fiberglass.
It is not etched in concrete that I use this new converter if another one might work better. I bought this one because I do not know as much about electricity as you guys and it had it's own fuse panel and everthing all together and will not over charge the battery. If you think this will work then I will seriously consider it. I appreciate all the suggestions.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #17

converter

That's what we did, made a spot in the bottom of the closet we built near the door where the front bench was. WFCO8735 from Best Coverter, was not too bad to hook up with a couple of calls and emails to Randy with Best. It's close to the battery and the main outside electric hook up.
casey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #18

Quote:
I had thought of that too...Looking inside of that space I saw the LP Gas pipe and below a wheel well. Just not sure, and does it need to be next to the battery?
You could mount it a few feet from the battery and just use a heavier wire. Way up front would be a stretch. I'm just not sure if you could shoehorn it in under the furnace. It is an awkward shape and really designed for a larger camper

Quote:
Ed, I understand. So, If building a box where the old one is, mounting the thing, and If I can get to it when necessary...well yes, I like hiding it better than cutting a new Big hole in the fiberglass.
It is not etched in concrete that I use this new converter if another one might work better. I bought this one because I do not know as much about electricity as you guys and it had it's own fuse panel and everything all together and will not over charge the battery. If you think this will work then I will seriously consider it. I appreciate all the suggestions.
I'm a cheapskate so, keep that in mind. If it was me, I'd take the old converter out, clean it up and hook up the 110 volt wires and see if it works. If so, I'd reinstall it. You might be able to install it in a different place such as under the furnace with access to the fuses from the right rear cubby hole. You should almost never need access.

If the old converter is not easily fixable, I'd consider buying a converter with a more compact overall size, similar to the original. The new converters will do a nicer job of charging the battery with their electronic 3 stage chargers, but the old one was perfectly serviceable, just not optimal. Something like this:

Inteli-Power 9100 Converter/Charger, 30 Amps - $142.99

I don't think it has a fuse panel, but the panel that Bob recommended would be fine or get another one similar to it off eBay in the $20 range. Easy to wire and gives you more flexibility for mounting location. Some have mounted panels on a hinge, so it swings up to access then tucks away flat against a wall, as an example.

NOS 12 VOLT ATC FUSE PANEL FOR RV POWER CONVERTER CIRCUITS,ELECTRICAL PROTECTION | eBay
Old 02-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #19

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Since you are making the back table/bed into a permanent bed, how about building a box that would sit under the bed just in front of the battery. Then it would be close to the battery, out of the way, it would be easily vented, the only hole you would is for wires, not take up any of the built in storage, and you could get to the fuse panel.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #20

Virginia
Red face Old Converter

Quote:
You could mount it a few feet from the battery and just use a heavier wire. Way up front would be a stretch. I'm just not sure if you could shoehorn it in under the furnace. It is an awkward shape and really designed for a larger camper

I'm a cheapskate so, keep that in mind. If it was me, I'd take the old converter out, clean it up and hook up the 110 volt wires and see if it works. If so, I'd reinstall it. You might be able to install it in a different place such as under the furnace with access to the fuses from the right rear cubby hole. You should almost never need access.

If the old converter is not easily fixable, I'd consider buying a converter with a more compact overall size, similar to the original. The new converters will do a nicer job of charging the battery with their electronic 3 stage chargers, but the old one was perfectly serviceable, just not optimal. Something like this:

Inteli-Power 9100 Converter/Charger, 30 Amps - $142.99

I don't think it has a fuse panel, but the panel that Bob recommended would be fine or get another one similar to it off eBay in the $20 range. Easy to wire and gives you more flexibility for mounting location. Some have mounted panels on a hinge, so it swings up to access then tucks away flat against a wall, as an example.

NOS 12 VOLT ATC FUSE PANEL FOR RV POWER CONVERTER CIRCUITS,ELECTRICAL PROTECTION | eBay
Thanks Thomas, I will check to see if the old converter will work first.
If it does not, then I will get a smaller one and a fuse panel like Bob suggested. I like having the flexibility better Than cutting a big fat hole in the fiberglass. I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone so much. You all are kind to try and help others, and you have been patient with me. For Sale, a New WFC0 8955 Power Center, HA! What a learning curve.