Lock box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Lock box

Just thought I'd toss this little mod out there. I made this up a long time ago after being locked out of the RV. It's a piece of 2" channel, boxed in ends with a loop through the slotted top for a combo lock. I have all the keys for the RV in there. I've had it in a couple different rigs, screwed or bolted down in the refer area as they are never locked. The Casita didn't have a good spot like the others did so I made up an aluminum angle and riveted it to the shell. So far nobody's noticed the two extra rivets .
Attached Thumbnails
d2.jpg   d3.jpg  

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:49 AM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
I love it! And I want DH to put one in our trailer. I am so paranoid about getting locked out of the trailer. I've gotten locked out of things too many times over the years. I misplace keys.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:42 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Very clever. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have been thinking about adding a key lockbox to my trailer. We use them regularly in our business and some are easier to use than others. They generally run less than $20. The push button type are nice.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #5

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
my issue would be "now was that 2-23-18 or 23-2-18"? LOL, always had a com. lock fail in school locker room, now it's passwords at work lol
Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We have a lock box secured in the back of the pickup and another one in the console of the pickup.

The o e in the console was purchased through Costco On Line and was made especially for the Silverado.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #7

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
I'm scattered at times, and more forgetful the older I get. For years I've ziptied a spare key under every vehicle somewhere, same concept as a lockbox I guess.
I like the lockbox on the trailer. So far I've just stashed the spare keys under the battery, but that requires tools to disconnect the battery and lift it out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
I'm scattered at times, and more forgetful the older I get. For years I've ziptied a spare key under every vehicle somewhere, same concept as a lockbox I guess.
The difference being that in theory, all a person would need to do is spend enough time under your vehicle checking places that jump out as "if I were to hide a key, where would I put it?"...

A lockbox can be practically right out in the open, but you need to know the combination, or be bold enough to pull out the bolt cutters where people can see you...

I actually think I'm going to put a box somewhere on my camper and truck. Good idea!
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a lock box which is stored inside a piece of PVC pipe mounted under our trailer . Painted the PVC black so it matches the other plumbing pipes.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
my issue would be "now was that 2-23-18 or 23-2-18"? LOL, always had a com. lock fail in school locker room, now it's passwords at work lol
Yup, I know what you mean. I did look through about 50 locks until I found one that had an easy combo to remember.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #11

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: TrailsWest
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Yup, I know what you mean. I did look through about 50 locks until I found one that had an easy combo to remember.
My solution has been to buy locks that I can set the combo on

I was thinking that I'd just get a velcro key holder to stash the spare key but I like the lock box idea. I think there might be enough room in the battery box...
Old 04-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I just keep the spare trailers keys in the truck glove box and the spare truck keys in the trailer. They always travel together!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Years ago when I bought my pickup I had a "flat key" made that I carry in my wallet. It is not a transponder key so won't start the truck but if I am using the flat key it is because the other is in the ignition! I admit that I have had to use the key a few times over the years.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote